PDA

View Full Version : Come on baby light my fire...

Myztlee
08-22-2003, 07:13 AM
For those that aren't aware, there are massive forest fires going on in west coast Canada.

http://welcometokelowna.com/Okanagan_mtn_park_fire.shtml

That picture is pretty much what my sister's husband sees from where he works, as the water bombers fill up non stop. He works at a tree nursery, and live sparks are landing in his fields daily. Breathing is hard, and everything is covered in ash.

That lake is between the fires and where they live, so hopefully it'll keep it at bay (pun intended).

Discomforting. But we keep making nature itch, and she just keeps scratching back, and we're running out of Calomine lotion.

Mcpickle
08-22-2003, 08:25 AM
I flew over the fires in Colorado on my way back from vacation, maybe it was idaho I dunno but it looked like someone had dropped a nuke. We were flying over and I saw this huge glowing orange cloud and I was like wtf thats biggest cloud I ever seen and then we flew over it and it was a huge fire. omg!

Eomer
08-22-2003, 10:17 AM
heh, my Aunt just moved into Kelowna like two weeks ago, and now she is on a one hour evacuation notice.

I am leaving for BC tomorrow, hopefully the smoke won't be too bad where I am. Hitting Mabel lake, which is about two hours north of Kelowna. It's in a different valley, so I am hoping that will help a bit with getting rid of some of the smoke.

Zarxen
08-22-2003, 12:26 PM
Words can't even describe this incident that took place a few weeks ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/08/12/bc_fires030812

Could you imagine the animosity these people have towards this person. Over 65 homes destroyed over a person throwing away a cigarette. It goes beyond guilt.

Myztlee
08-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Ah, there's nothing like a moment of pristine irony. A firefighter starting a forest fire. With his own cigarette. It's almost artistic in its purity.

sendain
08-22-2003, 03:02 PM
Ah cool

Vinilaa
08-22-2003, 05:36 PM
cigarettes are bad, mmmkay

Eomer
08-23-2003, 11:04 AM
30,000 people evacuated from Kelowna, jebus.

Andriana Duskrose
08-23-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Eomer
30,000 people evacuated from Kelowna, jebus.

That mean you'll be there for our gig on Sunday?! It's an extra special show too, the drummer will be coughing his ass off, blowing his nose between songs, and if your lucky, puking in a nearby bucket! :eek:

I wish I was joking too...

Eomer
08-23-2003, 02:17 PM
Nope, still leaving tonight. We will be about two hours north of Kelowna, so it will just be smokey. From the forest fire. Trees. You know.

Should be nice, for once the highways into BC should be dead, instead of jam packed with boat trailers etc.

Eomer
08-28-2003, 05:35 PM
Barely any smoke at Mabel Lake, it was smokier going through Banff on Sunday morning than it was in the interior of BC. We saw at least half a dozen small spot fires up in the mountains along the way, it's unreal how dry it is.