PDA

View Full Version : Justin Timberlake (yeah.. you read it right)

Elidroth
08-25-2003, 01:47 AM
OK.. so this is going way out on a limb I'm sure for most of you.. but the more I hear this guy sing, the more impressed I am with his talent. I HATE the prefabricated crap he came from (N'Sync) and that whole genre (boy bands) but I just can't ignore his voice. He actually uses his voice as an instrument.. Gotta respect the talent.

He's versatile, has great range, and he can actually back up records with his live voice. I saw him the other day on some daytime TV talk show and he sang this acoustic version (just him and a guitarist) of his song Senorita that was VERY impressive.

When we're force fed so much talentless crap these days it's cool to see there are people who actually have something. Not surprising that he went on tour with Christina Aguilera, the only other talented singer from this same genre.

Open your mind..

Lothbah
08-25-2003, 04:48 AM
problem with Christina Aguilera especially and I think Justin Timberlake does it to is that when they are singing one of their songs live, most of their part is playing from a track and all they do is the goddamn ad lib crap... I know when I saw Christina on SNL a year or two ago it was like this (cant remember the song so I'm going to pick one).

Track: If you wanna be with me, baby theres a price to pay, I'm a genie in a bottle, you gotta rub me the right way

Christina: Oooowaaahooowahowowowaaahaa genie in a bottleowahowoahooooooo

then both track and singer did the regular verses of the song, but as soon as that chorus came back...

Track: If you wanna be with me, baby theres a price to pay, I'm a genie in a bottle, you gotta rub me the right way

Christina: Wooohoooooooo baby baby baby there's a price to payayaaayaaaaaaaaaaaay, genie in a bottle wooooooo, right way babaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Am I the only one who doesnt consider this music? Its about as cheap as Shania Twain's "performance" at the Super Bowl.

STOP ADLIBBING NOW!

Andriana Duskrose
08-25-2003, 10:18 AM
*Shrug* A lot of bands do that, not just the extra super popstars like Christina or Justin. There are various reasons for it, all of them I am perfectly willing to accept, and it doesn't bother me. In fact some bands I've seen play live should do it, since they sound like shit singing live *Cough* Billy Coragan *Cough*

Besides we're all looking at Christina boobs and ass anyway.

But yeah, I am enjoying JT's solo stuff. "Rock Your Body" fooking kicks ashe.

Scrith
08-25-2003, 06:03 PM
Compared to most people putting out music in 2003, you're probably right.

Now playing: Ella and Louis. I wonder what they'd think of Justin and Christina? :)

Talas
08-26-2003, 01:23 PM
Never heard that album, Scrith - and kind of ashamed I haven't!

I will have to go look for it... :)

I'm more a fan of Miles & Parker and later-sounding bebop... :)

Sorry to steal your thread, but we all know that jazz is the only true musical artform!!

Ella would probably like Norah Jones, but I don't think anyone else on the pop market. I didn't realize Norah recorded on the Blue Note label until I saw my roommate with her CD. I played with a lot of people from her high school, but never her... :(

I bet Blue Note got a lot of money from her sales!

Andriana Duskrose
08-26-2003, 01:24 PM
Norah sold out, it's not about the music for her anymore, or the fans, and she sounds like Eddie Vedder.

Buazag Bonesteel
08-26-2003, 01:37 PM
I really like Norah Jones. Very mellow and excellent listening if you want to pay attention and yet also great as background music for a dinner party or some such thing.

Elidroth
08-26-2003, 01:38 PM
Change the recording style a bit and Nora sounds more like Billi Holiday than Ella to me.

Nora has a GREAT voice.. I love that sultry jazz feel.. but the CD was BORING. Other than Don't Know Why.. it had nothing IMO.

Citidal
08-29-2003, 07:33 PM
I agree with you completely on Justin Timberlake, Elidroth. I also agree with Lothbah. LOL That Christina Aguilera performance summary cracked me up, because I've thought the same damn thing for so long but all my friends *insist* that "Justin/Christina really IS singing and dancing like that at the same time!!!".

My favorite tracks on Justin's CD would have to be 'Like I Love You' (I f'ing love Spanish guitar, I dunno why) and 'Cry Me A River' (despite it's blatant status as 'the token anti-Britney song'). 'Rock Your Body' was barely tolerable the first time I heard it, and is definitely my least favorite track. Something about the constant 'Ahhhhhhhhh...'-moaning in the background throughout the entire track just gets annoying when it's coming from a dude.

I agree that he's definitely got talent, though. Maybe not as much as he thinks he has, but I think he deserves the career he's made for himself... especially without N*Sync. It's a shame that Justin's talent was hidden for so long, when he was being held back by those other douche bags.

Eomer
08-30-2003, 09:50 AM
Its about as cheap as Shania Twain's "performance" at the Super Bowl.

LOL, she had a lock on football championships that year. A few months before she "performed" at the CFL's Grey Cup and did the same damn thing. To make matters worse it was cold and she didn't even show off some T and A. Whore :/

I don't have much of a problem with Justin's music, actually. Haven't heard more than one or two songs, and it's better than most shit out there, anyway. I do have a problem with people who can't come close to recreating their music live, w/o tracks etc to help them out.