PDA

View Full Version : hrmm not EQ but I need help =(

solkannar
10-03-2003, 02:27 AM
Anyone know the cause of the "black screen of death" :/. I start my computer and all I get is a black screen and cant see shit :(. If anyone can help pls let me know =/.

solkannar...im the kei whore solk ;/

vegu
10-03-2003, 02:32 AM
does it beep when you boot?

if it does - how often, what pattern

monitor turned on ?!:D

nwinn
10-03-2003, 11:43 AM
Aye, if you're sure the rest of your hardware is on, sounds like your video card or monitor are having problems. >< If you have access to other parts, monitor/video card, to test it, I'd do that. If you don't, you might just want to take it to a computer repair shop. :| Or, you could start buying new parts and testing them!

Aindayen
10-03-2003, 12:29 PM
Have you tried turning the power button on? <snicker>

Riccee
10-03-2003, 12:48 PM
THe ThermocolaberatorDiametricThingaMaJiggy hath gone bad m'lad!

solkannar
10-03-2003, 02:37 PM
There is no beep no :/. Everything powers up but the screen just stays black. Ive used 3 different monitors all the same thing. Im using a Amd Athlon 2.2ghz and a gforce fx5200 graphics card. Both parts are kinda new I just got this computer a little over a month ago. I found something about Directx can cause problems. SYMPTOMS
When you run a DirectX-based program, your monitor may display a black screen or may display only wavy lines on a black background.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the DirectX-based program changes the default refresh rate your display adapter sends to the monitor. I think this might be the problem. When the screen would go black before I was always running that uses Directx. I cant really do much to see if thats the problem cause the damn monitor stays black. I have a old graphics card I could test but the one thats plugged in there I dont know how to get it out it a little bit different then the ones ive seen. Bleh ;P

solky

Hyppolyta Ironrose
10-03-2003, 03:02 PM
Cant be directx, cause windows need to be loaded first to come in effect, so you should see windows loading in this case.

Looks like a grafic card defect, but i had same problem some months ago and it was a burnt motherboard. So if you cant exchange parts like grafic on your self to test, i recommend a friendly PC repair shop.

solkannar
10-03-2003, 04:18 PM
I put in my old gforce card I had trouble with a little awhile ago and the screen is still black. The card was good but the agp slot was dead. Now I'm getting the same problem it seems like. What is a good motherboard mine all seem to suck. Id also like to know if gforce cards are bad for the computer and I shouldnt get them or just getting bad luck with the motherboard.

solky

Hoshis
10-04-2003, 08:49 AM
My computer did that once. I had to reload windows on it. Try that it might help

Zeldapika
10-04-2003, 08:53 AM
make sure you are connecting the monitor cord to the right port, with the new graphics card and not the old one ;)