PDA

View Full Version : Rap

Drakky
10-12-2003, 04:37 AM
fukcing sucks.

sucks.

all of it.

sucks ASS.

IT GOES BEYOND GAYNESS.. I JUST CAN NOT FUCKING PUT IT INTO WORDS HOW FUCKING GAY RAP IS... OMG I THINK IM GONNA HAVE A HEARTATTACK

<3 no but really rap sux<3

Darkstar
10-12-2003, 06:55 AM
METAL

fukcing rocks.

rocks.

all of it.

kicks ASS.

IT GOES BEYOND UBERNESS.. I JUST CAN NOT FUCKING PUT IT INTO WORDS HOW FUCKING GREAT METAL IS... OMG I THINK IM GONNA HAVE A HEARTATTACK

<3 no but really metal rox<3

Elidroth
10-14-2003, 04:23 AM
I guess I don't hate rap music so much as I hate the people in it. This 'thug' or criminal mentality is seriously fucked up. The fact that the record label used 'he's been shot 8 times' in the marketing of 50 cent is just insane.

Kind of goes along with the idea that Kobe Bryant's shoe line wasn't selling well because he lacked 'street cred' since he was (up to that point) too clean and solid of a human being. Guess you can't sell shit to the rapper punk-ass wanabe idiots unless you have a police record and are covered in gang related tattoos.. Right Alan Iverson?

Oh.. and one last thing..

PULL YOUR FUCKING PANTS UP AND EITHER WEAR A BELT OR BUY THE RIGHT SIZE!

nwinn
10-14-2003, 04:58 AM
Saw this in auction today... a "discussion" of how much they all hate rap music because it is evil or something, heh. ><

blah blah blah, "and the lack of good english speaking skills".... wtf :|

Thunderclap
10-14-2003, 05:11 AM
Yep, because the tattoos, goth attire, satanic references, grunge look etc are all far better alternatives to anything rap/hip hop related...right? Oh yeah and men wearing makeup, sounds like a good thing too...right? I really enjoy watching chicken heads get cut off and seeing equipment get destroyed. Instead of people getting shot, lets listen to drug addicts. That is definitely a better thing since the result in the end is basically the same (and i mean with drug use in general, not just in musicians). Point here is let's start picking on some other types of music too since they basically have the same or similar issues.

I am an avid listener to classic rock, rap/hip hop, jazz, alternative, blues (not big on much else)...most all musical genres have some form of jacked up history, background, dress styles and people that play/sing the music.

This post was made in good fun but what i believe to be true just as i believe the previous ones to be!

TC

Elidroth
10-14-2003, 05:38 AM
The difference to me is when that destructive aspect is used as a way to market someone. Yes drugs and such have been a part of music in general, but nowhere is the violence of the gang culture used as a marketing ploy like it is in rap music. If you're not a 'gangsta' you don't sell records unless of course you're Will Smith who totally defies the status quo with his upbeat attitude, lack of violence, and lack of f-bombs, n-bombs, and so forth every other word.

Eomer
10-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Will Smith don't have to swear to sell records. Well I do, so fuck him and fuck you too.

I don't dislike rap itself, I am like Elidroth. I hate the culture and people in it. Good rap is, well good. I don't mind Eminem that much, and Everlast is alright, but that's about it for pure rap that I can tolerate. Oh, Swollen Members is alright, although they are borderline on the whole "I am wicked cause I kick people's asses and a mysogenist" thing. But I like a lot of the rap-rock hybrid bands, my favorite being Linkin Park (flame away assholes, they are surprisingly good). Rap itself has tons of potential, I like lyrics and vocals with changes in pacing and what not.

I just get sick and tired of hearing the same song, over and over again, about how some rapper is a badass cause he popped a cap in someone's ass, played to the same video (low riders and chicks wearing 20 dollar bill pasties).

Thunderclap has a point though, grunge/rock/metal can be every bit as derivative and repetitive as rap. But personally, I think the difference is that the culture surrounding rock is a little more healthy and a better influence than what rap culture brings to the table.

Dharrk
10-14-2003, 11:39 AM
I like creative music, whether it be rap or not. For the most part, I listen to hardcore punk and emo. But I also listen to rock, metal, and rap. But in regards to rap, anything that can make me laugh or just sounds good, I like.

nwinn
10-14-2003, 03:08 PM
I like creative music, whether it be rap or not. For the most part, I listen to hardcore punk and emo. But I also listen to rock, metal, and rap. But in regards to rap, anything that can make me laugh or just sounds good, I like.

Same, I could care less what genre someone else wants to classify it as. Anything that's 'uncomfortable,' I don't care for... Violent Femmes have some sick songs that I can't stand, they're very non-rap. I don't like most of Eminem's stuff but, there are a few songs that have great lyrics. I think Kid Rock is generally white-trash but, he's also got 1-2 songs that I think are good. Anyway. :P

Riccee
10-15-2003, 12:17 PM
I Just listen to kenny G all day, and Cry over my pix of Drakky (all of which are framed)

nwinn
10-15-2003, 12:22 PM
I Just listen to kenny G all day, and Cry over my pix of Drakky (all of which are framed)
What kind of frames? =o

Riccee
10-15-2003, 07:36 PM
big glittery ones with lots of sparkles and google eyes : (

nwinn
10-15-2003, 07:56 PM
big glittery ones with lots of sparkles and google eyes : (

Pretty and glittery... perfect for drakky! ><

Thunderclap
10-15-2003, 08:12 PM
Another thing about rap/hip hop is this, the stuff you hear on the radio or see on videos (for the most part) is not truly rap. It is crossover mainstream music that "supposedly" the people want to hear. No true hip hop head would listen to that stuff...Master P, Ludacris whoever these people are that you hear/see are NOT what real hip hop/rap is about. To listen to rap music would be Mos Def, Common, The Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, Gangstarr, old LL Cool J (not this crap he started putting out to "cross over"), Run DMC, Eric B and Rakim, Treacherous 3, the list goes on and on...nowhere on that list of real rap music will you even find freaking Will Smith (more crossover). Soooooo, in a sense; i agree that this stuff out today is garbage (at least what most people hear/see today) unless you are actually into the culture, you will not no any rap outside of what is radio play really. Just my 2 cents, errr...50 cent (more garbage).

TC

nwinn
10-16-2003, 02:30 AM
To listen to rap music would be Mos Def, Common, The Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, Gangstarr, old LL Cool J (not this crap he started putting out to "cross over"), Run DMC, Eric B and Rakim, Treacherous 3, the list goes on and on...nowhere on that list of real rap music will you even find freaking Will Smith (more crossover). Soooooo, in a sense; i agree that this stuff out today is garbage (at least what most people hear/see today) unless you are actually into the culture, you will not no any rap outside of what is radio play really. Just my 2 cents, errr...50 cent (more garbage).

TC

I'd add The Fugees(Wyclef, Lauryn Hill, etc.) to that list!

Thunderclap
10-16-2003, 04:31 AM
I would agree with the first fugees album, even the second...until Lauryn Hill decided she was an R and B star and Wyclef/Pras went crossover too....The first 2 cds were great though. Lots and lots more rap/hip hop to be added to that list though =) just do not want to make a several page list in one post! Kurtis Blow, KRS1, Slick Rick, Doug E Fresh, BDK, can even go back to raps roots...the Last Poets. True rap can be very positive, speak on politics and serious issues in the world not just berate women and talk of how tough the artist in question and their crew is. Whether Tupac and Biggie talked about shooting and women or not, they were two extremely talented people both with very interesting backgrounds...they just made music to appeal to a particular target audience.

TC

Widespreadd Panic
10-16-2003, 08:42 PM
The town i live in , i woudl have to say 75% of the under 30 crowd listens to wrap and all these whites boys wanting to be thugs and what not just makes me want to puke~ Sure wish rock n roll woudl take back over!! Late 60's , 70's rock n roll style thats where msuic shines its best o and the blues!!! Actually just give me some allman brothers or some floyd and i'll be O K. And i can hope rap will be forgotten and vanish form the face of the planet ~ Along with the people in this town that try to represent it :)

Thuggo
10-21-2003, 06:20 PM
I am sitting here in my terry cloth jump suit polishing my gold rings, gold chains, gold teeth, and my 9 yo. I shall bust caps in all your pale white asses for dissing rap like this.

Ok so not really. My name has nothing to do with rap, so no more "thug life yo" shit please. In fact I hate 99% of rap, the other 1% being mostly Tricky and artists like him. The remainder of that 1% is Pink. I cant's say I like her music but for some strange reason she really does it for me. I don't know why for certain, but it probably has to do with the fact that her image is of a smart assed slutty bad girl. mmmmm Pink.

Right now Rap might be the most widely sold music type in the US. But I blame the internet for this. All the smart people are getting their music for free off the internet whereas the morons who are left are the ones shelling out 17.99 for 8 tracks and 35 minutes worth of songs telling the consumers how cool and rich the "artist" is.

Rika
10-21-2003, 06:33 PM
I like rap. Not all of it, but i want a lot of f words and lots of killing in my rap please. The more the better. Yes im serious. Dayton Family, Ghetto boys, Devin, UGK etc.

Riccee
10-21-2003, 07:44 PM
i just get sick of hearing the same damn songs over and over again, if you ever go to tha clubz u know how that is.. i mean I like to see a girl shake her ass just as much as the next guy but if i hear 'get low' one more time im going ot shoot somebody~

KivarDel`Arbre
04-29-2004, 10:53 AM
I don't descriminate in my music tastes, but for rap, I'll make an expection. The state of expression is bland, and the statements are so undeniably congruent.

However, as a huge fan of metal, I also listen to alot of hip hop. Nothing that would be played on MTV or such, but artists that work out of the lime light. There are some undeniably amazingly talented vocalists, that spread alot of posative, if not inspiring messages.
Ie: Blackalicious, Hieroglyphics, Mos Def, Talib Kweli.