PDA

View Full Version : I wanted to be.... a LUMBERJACK!

Lola
10-15-2003, 11:38 AM
Ok, so strong winds headed from the west seem to have blown down a pine/evergreen tree of some sort in my back yard last night.

The question is, what do I do with this? I want to chop it up for firewood, but I don't know whether that's practical or not, and if it is, what sort of implement is best suited for the job. I'd rather not go the chainsaw route, but if necessary, then ok.

Is there a particular type/size of axe that is appropriate for this size tree? Does it need to dry out (it wasn't dead before falling, just a little ill) before cutting it, or better to cut when fresh?

Ktul
10-15-2003, 12:03 PM
Borrow a chainsaw...you dont wanna cut that up for firewood with a axe, trust me p

nwinn
10-15-2003, 12:25 PM
Borrow a chainsaw...you dont wanna cut that up for firewood with a axe, trust me p

Lola's a manly-man, let him hack away at it! :cool:

But really, for some reason your title made me think of the scene in In&Out where Kevin Kline is dressed in "manly" clothes and listening to that tape that's supposed to teach him how to be "manly"! :D "Real men don't dance! Control the urge to go wild and shake your booty... stop that!"

Vidmer
10-15-2003, 01:20 PM
Well from the pics recently posted I think chopping that up with an axe would do Lola a lot of good!

Kattoo Tacit
10-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Cutting that up for fire wood would be painful with an axe :eek:

Chain saw will be 10 times faster and less messy.

Lola
10-15-2003, 01:31 PM
I'm in no hurry - but less money? How would a chainsaw be less money?

(New in town, nobody that would lend me theirs)

Kattoo Tacit
10-15-2003, 01:47 PM
I'm in no hurry - but less money? How would a chainsaw be less money?

(New in town, nobody that would lend me theirs)

Messy != Money :confused:

But now that you mention it..... Any decent rental place will be able to rent you a chainsaw for the same if not less then a quality axe would cost to buy.

Eomer
10-15-2003, 01:52 PM
Yeah, you should be able to rent a chain saw for 10 or 20 bucks a day. Cutting through wood with an axe is a total nightmare, especially since it looks like you would have to cut it up into about 20 sections. Best way is to just chop it up with a chain saw into about 18" sections, than stack em over the winter. Then split them with an axe in the spring. Axes are awesome for splitting, they suck for actual cutting.

Not to mention, a chainsaw is most likely safer than an axe.

Lola
10-15-2003, 01:55 PM
lol, I don't know why I read messy as money. How odd!

Alright, I will see about renting, you have shown me the light. Much appreciated.

Varran
10-15-2003, 04:06 PM
Great.... THANKS A LOT

Now I can't get that damn song outta my head...

Oh I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok... I work all night and I sleep all day...

Lola
10-15-2003, 04:11 PM
I cut down trees, I eat my lunch, I go to the lavatoryyyyyy!

Andaas
10-15-2003, 04:28 PM
I cut down trees, I eat my lunch, I go to the lavatoryyyyyy!

For some reason I expected Lola to quote the later verses...

I chop down trees, I skip and jump
I like to press wild flowers
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars

I cut down trees, I wear high heels
Suspenders and a bra.
I want to be a girlee
Just like my dear papa.

Lola
10-15-2003, 04:38 PM
And *I* expected someone to post that sooner! =p

Crimsonbanshee
10-15-2003, 04:38 PM
Lol

Daisiee
10-16-2003, 09:28 PM
chop it up into chunks like eomer said but rent a logsplitter and make firewood with that. Should take like 3 hrs total if you enlist someone else to help.

btw it looks like you have trees and such at your house a nice chainsaw is a good investment they run like $500 - $750 though (not a piece of shit walmart one) buy a stihl.

Eomer
10-17-2003, 06:57 AM
Or Husqvarna. I think that's how it's spelled. Stihl is good too, we have a gas powered chop saw that's as old as me, and it keeps plugging away.

Buazag Bonesteel
10-17-2003, 08:53 AM
Yup....hard to tell the diameter of the tree just from a pic.....but odds are you would want to split the cut pieces into smaller logs if it's for firewood and not just to get it the hell out of the yard. So if you go with just a chainsaw or just an axe you will not be terribly efficient. Really need both to do the job properly.

Then again pine is kinda ass for firewood. Super fast burning and unless it's well seasoned it's pretty smoky as well.

Bram
10-17-2003, 09:21 AM
That last bit is important if you don't know, Lola. Let that wood cure for a long time. It's green right now and it will be terrible if you toss it on the fire this winter. Chop it up, let it sit over the winter (in a nice dry place), split it in the spring, use it in 2004-2005

Yup....hard to tell the diameter of the tree just from a pic.....but odds are you would want to split the cut pieces into smaller logs if it's for firewood and not just to get it the hell out of the yard. So if you go with just a chainsaw or just an axe you will not be terribly efficient. Really need both to do the job properly.

Then again pine is kinda ass for firewood. Super fast burning and unless it's well seasoned it's pretty smoky as well.

Eomer
10-17-2003, 10:20 AM
I like pine for firewood. It's relatively easy to cut, smells good, and burns quite clean if it's had a chance to season. It burns hella hot. The only downside is that because it burns so fast, you need to use a lot.

Icehealer
10-22-2003, 08:37 AM
Use a chainsaw, the max it should take you to go through that tree is maybe 20mins. It looks relitivly small. I cut wood every summer for winter. The best thing I'd say to do is just rent a chainsaw or barrow one, not a particularly large one, a small one should be sufficient enough. Make sure you mix the gas right. Once you have it cut into smaller sections, use a regular axe to split the wood in half. Halfed wood is easier to burn and burns quicker/hotter then just plane old logs. You dont have to worry about letting it sit and dry out. It can be cut just the way it is. If you burn the pine while its wet make sure you have a hot fire to keep the flames going. This will cause the tree to put out the pleasent smell of pine. The pitch in the wet tree will also give a strong aroma and cause the wood to burn hot once it gets started. soooo Chainsaw it into logs, chop it into halfs, stack it, tarp it, and you have firewood :D. If nothing else you could probly sell the wood for 60$ or more, depending how plentiful wood is were you live. Were I live there is tree's every were so the price of wood is low. but still probly could get 60$ for that tree lola :). Have fun! sorry to ramble on!

Icehealer

Stacked
10-24-2003, 03:29 PM
$1.25 or what ever a gallon off gas costs. Apply a gallon from one end of the tree to the other. Light it up and have a water hose ready so you can play Fireman. Haveing real firemen on speed dial wouldn't hurt either. Then you could ask them if you can borrow a yelow jacket and all that cool stuff.

But seriously a chainsaw is definatly in order for that. You will get plenty of Axe time if you decide to manualy split the logs.