PDA

View Full Version : Diplomacy!

Lola
10-28-2003, 09:35 AM
So uh, anybody want to play? :) No flaker-outters allowed this time!

7 people + GM needed. So far, we got:

- Coral
- Zarwin
- Kattoo
- Vidle
- Aalenu
- Lydia
- Vader (muahaha)

GM: Xuen (Such a nice guy!)

Requirements:

You must either be familiar with the game or demonstrate a dedication to learning the rules before we start. Also, you must idle in #diplomacy on irc.progameplayer.com often enough to allow people to get in touch with you!

WTF is Diplomacy?

Diplomacy is a board game by Avalon Hill (now owned by Hasbro). 7 players each control one of the great European powers, beginning in 1900. Their only goal: control of all of Europe. Diplomacy is very similar to Risk, except that Diplomacy requires no dice rolling, and has no random element whatsoever.

There are two facets to Diplomacy. One, the strategy of moving one's units effectively. Two, the negotiations with other players. The time invested in considering one's moves may be quite small compared to the time spent twisting your fellow player's will to your own ends. Only through the successful execution of both diplomatic and strategic elements will victory be yours.

The game lends itself well to an online setting, and there are automated systems called Judges which will accept game moves by email, process the outcome, and email the next game state to all the players. This allows those involved to speak with other players and submit their moves at their liesure, by email or on IRC (preferably) - players are not required to schedule any specific time to be available.

If you would like a copy of the rules, send me a PM. Attached is a map of the game board.

Also, head over to http://www.diplom.org/ and read the Email and DPJudge sections.

Lydia
10-28-2003, 12:50 PM
What's a flaker-outter?

Riccee
10-28-2003, 01:15 PM
I'll Play!

Lola
10-28-2003, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure whether you're asking what the english expression "to flake out" means, or how it applies here. But anyway...

We had a couple people, for example, not show up on IRC for a couple weeks, thus not allowing other parties to talk to them. Also, some people decided to just not turn in orders, pretty much sandbagging the game.

So, if you're not going to stay in touch and submit your moves, then don't sign up!

Lola
10-28-2003, 02:45 PM
I'll Play!

Not to be rude, but... no, you won't.

Kattoo Tacit
10-28-2003, 03:43 PM
So uh, anybody want to play? :) No flaker-outters allowed this time!

I have the box set collecting dust in my closet due to lack of players. Would love to play.

Coral
10-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Perhaps I should point people towards http://www.diplom.org/

Especially the Email section (read that first), and the DPJudge section.

Ill play.

Zarwin
10-28-2003, 04:45 PM
I`ve never played online before, but I can't even count how many times I have played irl, it looks easier, less time limits heh.

Riccee
10-29-2003, 02:13 PM
i have never played before - i'll have to read up on it..

Lola
10-29-2003, 03:31 PM
Edited first post with mucho new info.

Coral
10-29-2003, 03:50 PM
Edited first post with mucho new info.

I'll play, but I can't access IRC at work. At home in evening sure.

In daytime Im available for IMing on AIM/MSN.

Lola
10-29-2003, 04:00 PM
That'd be fine - constant availability isn't important, but predictable availability is. Worst case there's always PMs and email for people that have trouble getting ahold of each other.

Vidmer
10-30-2003, 08:20 AM
I'm wounded you didn't automatically include me!

Lola
10-30-2003, 10:20 AM
Good. My goal in life is to wound you as much as possible!

Only need 2 more folks - no experience required, just willingness to learn and see it through to the bitter, bloody end!

Lydia
10-31-2003, 12:45 AM
I'd play if you can live with me being on vacation the last week of November! :)

Xuen
10-31-2003, 01:48 PM
As your friendly GM, i am now accepting brides in the form of cyber pm's!

Talas
10-31-2003, 09:48 PM
That game sounds like fun! If possible, please remind me next time you start up a game, I would like to try it!! :)