PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater - Train of Thought

Elidroth
11-01-2003, 01:07 AM
THEY'RE BACK!!

Suffice to say there is not a band out there who's new releases I look forward to more than Dream Theater. What some dismiss as musical masturbation to me is musical perfection. Each member is an absolute virtuoso in their own right, yet they all manage to bring it together without stepping on each other. I must say I was VERY surprised to see DT back so soon after only 18 months since the release of 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

As I only have 1 track so far.. this review will come in stages as the rest of the music is heard.

As I am:
Picking up where the end of 6 degrees leaves off is an interesting bit for sure.. Those of you familiar with DT's last disc will understand. Anyway.. As I Am is a much darker turn for DT's music and is based in a much more straight rock type meter but of course that doesn't last long (this IS Dream Theater afterall). The chorus has some very Alice in Chains vocal harmonies here bringing a bit different feel to things than normally expected. John Petrucci's guitar tone adds to this darker feel as well. Petrucci is arguably the most impressive and complete guitarist on the planet at the moment. His feel and phrasing matched equally by his speed and precision. His solo here is a blistering demonstration of the latter.

Overall this song is a solid opening track, and if the rest of the CD even matches this it'll be in my changer for a LONG time. Dream Theater is without a doubt the best 'unknown' band out there.

Riccee
11-01-2003, 12:03 PM
DT will forever be a metallica cover band in my mind..

Buazag Bonesteel
11-03-2003, 12:09 PM
DT will forever be a metallica cover band in my mind..

Going to take a wild shot in the dark here and say that you've never listened to them then. They've done quite a few tribute songs in various usually small club sessions where they just start to jam a bit.....many times when they do a "cover" it's better than the original heh. But occasionally playing other people's songs doesn't make them a cover band.

Fehren
11-03-2003, 10:01 PM
'As I Am'

Even with the straight rock meter initially, they still throw some curves and to their continuing credit, have a way of inserting some very nice melodies into the middle of what is basically a "metal" song. The more I listen to it, the more I like it; which is so typical of their music.

This is what I love about their music; the way it grows on you. With 99.99% of bands, what you hear the first time is basically what you're going to hear every time you listen to that song. You either like it or you don't, and the favor fades with time and repetitive listening to varying degrees. With DT, the music has so much depth to it - and lets face it, more raw talent than any other rock band in existence and at a technical level probably more than any band that has ever been. If you don't listen to their songs several times before making a decision, even ones you may not like or prefer initially, you are probably missing out.

As far as DT being a Metallica cover band - sounds like a troll to me. 'Makes about as much sense as calling the Eagles a Beatles cover band. I challenge anyone to watch the live 'Change of Seasons' on their 'Scenes From New York' DVD and make that claim...

Riccee
11-04-2003, 10:26 AM
All be it a bit lame, When you use kazaa , and search for DT you get nothing but master of puppets covers heh.... And they do not sound better than the orig, I'll have to look into other stuff ; p

Buazag Bonesteel
11-05-2003, 10:38 AM
All be it a bit lame, When you use kazaa , and search for DT you get nothing but master of puppets covers heh.... And they do not sound better than the orig, I'll have to look into other stuff ; p

I have most of their stuff in my shared folder....you aren't looking hard enough ;) I'm really looking forward to the new material. I didn't think they would ever put out an album that gave me the same feeling as Images and Words....but 6 degrees flat out rocked.

Fehren
11-06-2003, 12:43 AM
'As I Am', off their new album to be released next week is available for download on their official site at:

http://www.dreamtheater.net/

I have a strong feeling this album is really going to kick ass. )

Elidroth
11-06-2003, 03:26 PM
OK.. so I just got the whole CD from my wonderful cool local radio station contact.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST ON A POPSCICLE STICK!!

This tops everything to date. Full review to come.. suffice to say this is one you MUST buy on Tuesday.

John Petrucci is the man. Nuff said.

Riccee
11-06-2003, 04:35 PM
"As I Am"

First impression ...hm, Kind of a Down-esque groove..almost sounds like Black Sabbath's self titled Track: Black Sabbath at one point...tempo picks up...Initial Vocals remind me of old Anthrax, then during some parts sounds simliar to Alice 'n' Chains...repetative...around 5 minutes into it, has a pretty impressive solo...I wouldnt call it Metal...more like heavy alternative...

All in all I give it a C+ - B-

I will however listen to the rest of the album and post what I think here...