PDA

View Full Version : I do believe in miracles now...

Thuggo
11-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Toddler Revived After Believed Dead
Sat Nov 8, 4:09 PM ET Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

FULLERTON, Calif. - A toddler who was revived nearly two hours after she was believed to have drowned and 40 minutes after doctors had declared her dead was responding to touch and sound Saturday, hospital officials said.

Twenty-month-old Mackayala Jespersen was in critical condition but responsive a day after she was found in her family's swimming pool, said Children's Hospital of Orange County spokeswoman Denise Almazan.

The little girl's family thanked the public for their "prayers and support," Almazan said.

Mackayala's mother found her floating face down in the backyard pool Friday morning, police Sgt. Sean Fares said. Police and paramedics tried to revive her and rushed her to Anaheim Memorial Medical Center, where doctors pronounced her dead.

Forty minutes later, police Detective Mike Kendrick was conducting a routine investigation into the death when he noticed Mackayala's chest was moving. He summoned doctors, who were able to revive her.

"It was a very emotional moment for everyone," said Fullerton Police spokesman Sgt. Ron Gillett. "We thought she didn't make it and then she did. It was the lowest of the lows and the highest of the highs."

Mackayala was later transferred to Children's Hospital. Anaheim Memorial Medical Center spokeswoman Gina Esparza declined to comment Saturday.

Mark Langdorf, chairman of the Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of California, Irvine, said it is not uncommon for toddlers to survive drownings after showing little or no signs of life, especially if the water is cold.

What was unusual in Mackayala's case, he said, was the time involved.

"If you had said she came back to life after 10 minutes I would be surprised, but 40 minutes is just exceptional," he said.

As an addendum to this, the little girl has apparently spoken her first words "Eat Brainssss". Her parents are pleased taht she is recovering but are worried by her fixation with trying to chew through peoples skulls.

Ok all jokes aside, WOW 40 minutes.

nwinn
11-08-2003, 07:25 PM
Crazy. Going through CPR/First-Aid training for the Red Cross certifications a few years ago, I remember them telling us stories about mostly kids living through things like this, 'drowning' in cold water, having no detectable pulse for over 30 mins, etc. We are amazing beings. :P

Rika
11-08-2003, 10:18 PM
yes yes we are amazing, the kid is obviously overtaken by demons, eat brains and all. Maybe she will grow up to browse msg boards and play computer games like the rest of us exceptional beings.

Thuggo
11-09-2003, 11:29 AM
yes yes we are amazing, the kid is obviously overtaken by demons, eat brains and all. Maybe she will grow up to browse msg boards and play computer games like the rest of us exceptional beings.

Rika, only Tarissa has all of these qualifictations. Oh wait that's not brains that's cack.

Kattoo Tacit
11-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Zod is weak.

Eomer
11-09-2003, 09:40 PM
Eerily similar to a local toddler that got locked outside in the dead of winter here, froze more or less solid, and was then revived an hour or two later after she was found. I think it made a few minor international headlines, due to the strangeness of it.

http://www.lifesaving.com/spotlight/rescues/spotlight48.htm

Myztlee
11-11-2003, 04:30 PM
The addendum about brains made me laugh, nice one!

Thing is, my cousin's dad is/was the chief of respirology at Ottawa's main hospital, he said that CPR does help, but even if you're doing it absolutely flawlessly, it's still barely enough to sustain life, might hold off death by 15 minutes or so, it's so inefficient. Drowning in cold water, especially for kids, has always been a big factor in coming back from death.

Makes you wonder how many people were declared dead and cremated, embalmed, buried, whatever, when there was still a little, undetectable spark of life going, all it needed was a bit more effort to bring the person back.

Lonskils
11-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Myzt is your avatar from Hich Hickers Guide to the Galaxy?

Myztlee
11-21-2003, 09:39 AM
Myzt is your avatar from Hich Hickers Guide to the Galaxy?

Technically yes. Douglas Adams hated the thing, it wasn't his idea, but it did become so attached to the books/albums/tv/radio series that it's considered pretty much the logo/mascot.