PDA

View Full Version : Cold, but fun!

Eomer
11-27-2003, 05:01 PM
Some of you may have heard of a little hockey game played in Edmonton last weekend, called the Heritage Classic. Since we have season's tickets, we had seats at the game (they were damn near impossible to buy before the game, however because it ended up so cold skalpers were selling at face value before the game) so I went with my bro. I had an awesome time, the hockey was pretty good, but the atmosphere there was great. Everyone was there to have a good time, cold weather or no. For the record, it was about -17C for the NHL game, which started at 5pm. The Oiler/Canadien alumni game started at about 3pm, and it was a little colder at that point (by the next morning the temp had climbed up to -5 or so, bah). Most of the people froze their asses off for a solid 5-7 hours. For you people still using an inferior system, -17C translates to about 0F. That's without windchill, btw. There wasn't much wind that I noticed, but I heard that with windchill it was down around -25 or so.

First pic is of the alumni game between the two periods, taken from our seats. It was kind of funny to see all these millionaire athletes, some of them the best players ever (Gretzky, Messier, Lafleur etc) taking out the old shovels and skating back and forth to scrape the ice, for old time's sake. Second is from the corner of the stadium, looking southwest towards downtown. Third is me in the foreground drinking from a wine skin handed to me by the brown fella beside me. It was some sort of brandy drink, not sure what. Needless to say, it warmed the insides and got me awfully drunk. You can see him holding a beercicle. You had roughly 5-10 minutes to drink your beer before it froze solid. So naturally we were mixing whiskey and cokes!

Awesome time, I hope they don't do outdoor games on a regular basis though (this was the first ever). That would cheapen it. But already Calgary, Montreal, and Toronto are looking into it :/

Darsarin
11-28-2003, 05:50 AM
/sigh

Wish I could have been their. I would love to go to a live hockey match in Canada.

Lexoon
11-29-2003, 11:42 AM
Bad ass!

gukaistar
12-02-2003, 09:54 AM
Looks like a blast! Go Canada!