PDA

View Full Version : hoss7

Lola
12-08-2003, 05:46 PM
Starting soon, the next Hoss game! (hoss7:
http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?game=hoss7)
This is going to be a 1898 no_press game. What's that mean?

On the DPjudge, the 1898 variant starts in Winter of 1898, with no units on the board and every power eligible for one build. The build can be placed in any of the power's home centers, after which that center is the one and only center that the power owns. Play then continues after these free builds with Spring 1899 Movement. Each country must capture its other home centers
before it can build in them.

(from http://www.diplom.org/Email/judge/info.v1898.html)

No press means there is no communication allowed between the powers whatsoever. This allows for fast deadlines (23 hours in this game).

In order to sign up for this game, send me a tell on IRC for the privacy word. Noobs are welcome to join, this will be a good learning experience, and I'll try to do some tutorialing on the implications of 1898 and dispense some (hopefully) good advice.

Lola
12-10-2003, 04:50 PM
Still need 2 folks to sign up! :)

Vinen
12-10-2003, 09:40 PM
How exactly does this game work? How long do turns take etc?

Talas
12-10-2003, 11:58 PM
You will have to change classes to a blue mage to play this game, so srry! :(

Hoss6 games were taking 24/hr a move on average. You HAVE to make a move in that period, or you will forfeit your move (and you don't want to lose a round of play due to that, TRUST ME ;) ).

It is similar to chess in that, each piece has fixed limitations in movement and all possible moves can be predicted down to an end-game situation. So basically, if you can think so many moves ahead, you will be a really good player! :)

This game is simple, since there is no player-interaction. Each person survives independently of other players. In other scenarios, players can be dependent on others to aid them. If you are the least bit curious and can devote one move per 24 hours, you should really check it out. It is pretty fun, even though I got pounded my first game!! :D

Coral
12-11-2003, 04:56 AM
No press means countries are unidentified? No communication at all?

Lola
12-11-2003, 09:52 AM
Vinen: Read this, and PM me any questions it doesn't answer.

Coral: Correct.

Kattoo Tacit
12-11-2003, 10:13 AM
nm

Lola
12-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Just need one more person! If you've never played before, don't worry, you can still sign up!

Karendra
12-11-2003, 06:37 PM
Just need one more person! If you've never played before, don't worry, you can still sign up!
is there any german translation of rules?

Zarwin
12-11-2003, 07:14 PM
is there any german translation of rules?

Try these websites: http://www.lepanto.de/ and http://www.graue-substanz.net/

Karendra
12-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Try these websites: http://www.lepanto.de/ and http://www.graue-substanz.net/

thx :) i wil lread through it

Talas
12-12-2003, 11:22 AM
Need One More Player!!!!!!!!!! :)

Coral
12-12-2003, 12:50 PM
Need One More Player!!!!!!!!!! :)

Still? I can play but thought I would give others a chance

Lola
12-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Yup, check the page, still forming, missing 1.

Lola
02-02-2004, 08:46 AM
hoss7 is complete!

Austria: Talas
England: Kattoo
France: Aalenu
Germany: Slippy (*victor*)
Italy: Zeldapika
Russia: Vidle
Turkey: Cookus

Slippy
02-02-2004, 09:11 AM
hoss7 is complete!

Austria: Talas
England: Kattoo
France: Aalenu
Germany: Slippy (*victor*)
Italy: Zeldapika
Russia: Vidle
Turkey: Cookus

Well, I won! Yay!

I had a fun time with this game. I made a few mistakes but was lucky enough to not have too many problems because of them. I was not clear on what france's strategy would be in the north after I took the upper hand. Also I stabbed into Gal too early and alerted Talas to a weakness in his line that could have been a needed center if I lost the race to spain.

Can any of you find the move by russia that made me hate Vidle?

I am quite proud of my stab into france though, and letting him block his own centers when he had two builds coming was just plain fun! Well the stab wasn't that impressive, just the not bouncing of either fleet.

I salute france though, he kept me busy in the north almost long enough for Austria to make it to spain. And thank god for that army that Austria had stuck in north africa that is what allowed me to take spain and portugal. Thanks Talas. You were a fun opponent.

Still the battle for britain was a valliant effort by france. Was nerveracking watching Talas stream across the med and I could kick two units out of england, Aal kept me at bay almost long enough for Talas but not quite long enough.

Thanks for a fun game guys.

Slippy your lord and master. Kind of.

Vidmer
02-02-2004, 09:45 AM
Well I was Russia, a very poor power to have in the 1898 variant. I had as many forces as the other powers but a larger front to defend. I decided early to get Turkey. After securing my interests in Scandanavia I began to smash Turkey much to the German's and Turk's dismay. It seemed as if France and Italy were butting heads so I feared German aggression given his peaceful French front. My very build intended to protect me ended up triggering this German invasion. I should have gone after the Austrian or German.

Zeldapika
02-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Just going to post mainly what I had broadcasted in case people are too lazy to read their e-mail :)

Hi all :)

I was Italy. I was really very distracted while this game was going on, so i appologize for being late on more than one occasion and for having a pretty bad game lol. But anyway!

I decided I wanted to be friends with Austria (hi salsa!). I think that I focused so much on helping Austria from the start, that I really didn't pay attention to much else. It payed off for Talas though hehe, he gained a lot of force quickly!

I was really hoping Austria was going to swing around the Med. and help me fight off France lol, but I guess that was wishful thinking ;)

Once I lost the territory in Tunis, I knew it was going downhill from there and that Austria was not going to be of much help to me lol. I tried to defend my HC's from France(and Austria, was just waiting for him to stab me!! :p), but I did a really poor job lol.

Ah well, was still fun! Wish I was a little more focused and thoughtful on my moves, but it was still a good learning experience nevertheless!

Thanks all :) <3