PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone play Horizons?

Tilea
01-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Title says it all. Anyone play this game? It's a lot of fun, actually, and the class system is very unique. But I don't know anyone that actually plays it, except one slacker of a monk who will remain nameless.

Grabbit
01-11-2004, 04:31 AM
I play on Dawn~

67 Reaver

Vidmer
01-11-2004, 09:37 AM
I may or may not try it out if a friend of mine likes it.

Tilea
01-11-2004, 03:19 PM
I may or may not try it out if a friend of mine likes it.

Well I like it! But I hate you, so I suppose that doesn't count :p

It's very different from EQ, which is good. You can play and gain levels in as many classes as you want, and can customize your skills and abilities that way, which I like a lot.

Coquetry
01-12-2004, 05:46 AM
I play a dragon on expanse. Good game, give it a whirl.

^_^

Tilea
01-12-2004, 07:06 AM
I play a dragon on expanse. Good game, give it a whirl.

^_^

Expanse is the server my berserker is on. That class is like the Horizons version of rogues - way overpowered. And I have a monk on Life and a as yet to be determined on Shadow.

Aelia
01-12-2004, 09:22 AM
Title says it all. Anyone play this game?
No, but I hear they named the druid guildmaster after me~ :)
-hs

Tilea
01-12-2004, 11:05 AM
No, but I hear they named the druid guildmaster after me~ :)
-hs

Yep! same town as Samuel the Ranger trainer, I believe.

Auldian
01-13-2004, 10:25 PM
I played on Spirit for about 3 weeks. It had some neat ideas but didn't grab me like EQ did way back when.
I hope they keep honing it so it can catch on...maybe add horrendous CRs ;)

Balforios
01-19-2004, 03:17 AM
How does this game compare to ff11? ff1 is good in the aspect of u dont have to be in a group like eq requires. how is it for horizons? and does it offer more to do then to mind-numb leveling for 10 hours a day?

Grabbit
01-20-2004, 05:02 AM
Never played FF, but Horizons is different than any MMORPG I have ever played.

The focus of the game is to beat back the Withering Aegis (Undead Army) that is slowly destroying the world. There is a HUGE focus on tradeskills.

Not EQ like tradeskills, but a very well done enjoyable system. You have everything from Weapons smiths, to carpenters. These tradeskillers are pivotal in rebuilding destroyed towns, landmarks, trade centers, building new homes and structures on plots purchased by players, guild Halls, and eventually castles.

Repairing certain structures (Bridges and mine shafts for example), which take TREMENDOUs efforts by dozens of people in multiple tradekills open new areas to explore. They also triggers changes in the world/storyline.....The Satrys which is a lost race, was just recently freed due to the completion of one of these huge destroyed mines.

while Tradeskillers are extremely important, Adventurers are needed just as well (You can be both adventurer and tradeskiller, they each share their own xp pool, and xp is gained differently in each). More often than not , the constructions sites, and/or the gathering points for resources are infested or guarded by enemies. Tradeskillers need protection while doing their thing. Undead will often randomly siege existing towns. It's fun to see a call for help go out and see the calvary start pouring in by the dozens.

Horizons is not without its problems, It's a good game, but it's still very young, yet has a lot of potential..I have faith that as the story progresses the game will get better and better..the game is so closely tied to the story that it literally grows with the players.

No random/named loot(yet), no raid content(yet), some performance issues(getting better every day) with even the best systems.

I like HZ because the feeling that I am part of a Dawn, or rebuilding of a destroyed civilization. It's hard work, but seeing the last timber, or brick go in to a structure is strangely satisfying...

As the world grows, and the Aegis becomes more and more aware of all the races gathering strength....I'm sure there will be more than enough stuff to do.

Marauder Grabbit the Assassin (http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=97756&resize=true)
65 Halfling Deceiver
Township Rebellion
Stormhammer

"The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in war."

Vinen
01-20-2004, 05:16 PM
How does this game compare to ff11? ff1 is good in the aspect of u dont have to be in a group like eq requires. how is it for horizons? and does it offer more to do then to mind-numb leveling for 10 hours a day?

erm you have to be in a group moreso in FFXI then in EQ, just boss monsters HNM's only take 18 highly skilled people of high level, and the encounter is capped at that.

Tilea
01-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Grabbit pretty much summed the game up really well. They really should have done more class balance in the beta though, cause it's pretty lopsided now. And the latest patch nerfed the crap out of my monk, which was already a weak class. :(