PDA

View Full Version : Black press game ready!

Aalenu
01-12-2004, 10:12 AM
I started a black press game, creatively titled hoss8.

This game is set up with the ancient mediterranean map(http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?page=DPmapit, in pull down menu select ancmed to get a blank map, read here http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?page=about:ancmed to get starting positions and special rules), so it needs 5 people to start. It is set up for 3 day moves, with 1 day for adjustments/retreats.

Press is set to fake_press. Because of this all communication for this game MUST take place only via the press option from the game's web page. NO IRC communication can happen. I obviously can't enforce this, but understand that the whole point of a black press game is not knowing exactly who is who. Fake press means every time you send press, you have to set not only who you want to send it to, but who you want the message to say it is from.

The real time rule is in effect, which means as soon as everyone puts their moves in, the game will process. Don't put your moves in untill you are content with them, you never know when you might be the last person. This means that if you have a lot of press to do for a turn (and in black press, to get the most out of it, you will have a lot of press to write...), you need to start soon after the last move. Too often in recent Hoss games people have interpreted a 3 day move cycle to mean you get 2 days and 18 hours off before you have to think about your moves. THAT IS NOT THE POINT OF A 3 DAY TURN. It is set to 3 days because you will need time to communicate via email(press). Please do not sign up for this game if you are not willing to put the time and effort into spending some time on this game almost every day. That being said, the total time requirement is not that great. Having all communication via press makes things easier in a way, no need to find someone in IRC, you can do your press whenever you have a few spare minutes.

I've found black press games to be the most fun of all, but the experience is highly dependent on how involved everyone gets. Worst case scenario is it degrades into a white press game (if some people don't get into the fake press game, or reveal their identities). That's certainly not bad, but not really the point either.

This game will likely take 2-3 months to complete. Please think about that before you sign up. Small breaks/vacations are fine, but if you know in 2 months your going to have no email access for a month, this game probably isn't for you. If you are going on vacation, or need an extension you can either use the set-abscence command (http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?page=Email#10) or send me an email (just send press to master from the web interface) and I'll reset it.

So, 5 people, lots of fun, lots of lying!

Sign up by sending an email to dpjudge@diplom.org, no title, with the following in the message body:

JOIN hoss8 yourPassword deceitwins
SIGNOFF

Make up a password for yourself and replace yourPassword with it. This is your personal password you will use to log into this game only.

Let me know if you have any questions, and have fun!

Aal

Lola
01-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun, wish I had time to play a black press game right now ;/