PDA

View Full Version : Thank god for Haiti

Myztlee
03-01-2004, 02:11 PM
That Iraqi thing was getting boring, good thing wars can be so easily created and manipulated to keep things going.

Tilea
03-01-2004, 03:47 PM
I don't think the US has any plans to get involved with Haiti though, other than telling the locals not to think about fleeing to the states.

Myztlee
03-01-2004, 04:37 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/03/01/aristide.claim/index.html

Whether or not his claims are true, 200 US Marines are now already there, plus assorted other countries (France and Canada included), with more on the way. Go democracy!

Vidmer
03-01-2004, 04:58 PM
The rebels are said to number between 200-300. They basically managed to take the country over in two weeks. This should be a warning to people who dream of disbanding their armies.

The Haitian people seemed to have had a recall election in their own style. I'm glad we stayed out of this conflict until this point.

Myztlee
03-01-2004, 05:50 PM
I'm glad we stayed out of this conflict until this point.

Secretary of State Colin Powell:

"Massive investment was made in 1994. President Clinton sent 20,000 troops in. I went in with President Carter and Sen. [Sam] Nunn to talk the generals out of power and brought Aristide back in."

Saddam, Aristide... who's next?

Poppa
03-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Everything is out of our control. The best thing you can do is expect the best and prepare for the worst. And when the shit hits the fan remember who your friends are.

Myztlee
03-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Or how far the nearest country with the biggest target painted on it is from you.

Poppa
03-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Actually I used to buy beer in your country when I was kid, and it was all in a days work.

Oh yeah, and the salt and vinegar old dutch chips courtesy of Zorgon.

Tarissa
03-01-2004, 08:48 PM
Actually I used to buy beer in your country when I was kid, and it was all in a days work.

Oh yeah, and the salt and vinegar old dutch chips courtesy of Zorgon.

My country rules your country sucks who wants to hear about my life?

Give it a rest Pete!

Eomer
03-01-2004, 08:48 PM
The rebels were basically the disbanded army. And from the looks of it, they had good reason to be pissed off. I think there were at least three different groups calling for the ouster of Aristide, including the rebels. The elections that put him in power were considered flawed by damn near every international observer.

As far as anyone manipulating this, what are you talking about? This was a home brewed uprising, nothing more nothing less. Haiti has been a mess for decades, they don't need outside help to screw it up. The Canadian, French, and US soldiers there were only there to protect their embassies and get citizens out. They have now had their mandate extended and are to assist in maintaining some order. So far it's actually been pretty bloodless, and the rebels themselves have been almost "polite" in the way they have acted. They came into the capital and are now ensuring that, uh, I think it's the head of the Supreme Court, can safely assume power until elections are held.

The US and Canada will probably play large roles in getting the place back on it's feet, since we are close (and Canada is the only other French speaking country in the hemisphere), along with France since it's one of their former colonies.

And I think Aristide whining about a coup d'etat is full of shit and just wanting attention. Even if it's true, I don't have a problem with it. The country is better off without him, it seems.