PDA

View Full Version : This Was Interesting...

Arcius
05-26-2004, 08:47 PM
GU Comic (http://www.gucomics.com/archives/view.php?cdate=20040526)

Post 1 (http://forums.gucomics.com/viewtopic.php?t=2057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

Post 2 (http://forums.gucomics.com/viewtopic.php?t=2072)

Today's comic is pretty much the depiction of how I feel about the Omens of War expansion for EverQuest.

SOE's rapid push for this next expansion is little more than a money grab attempt by the corporate big whigs before the well runs dry. In other words, Smedley and his peers has his hand buried elbow deep in our pockets digging for every scrap of our cash that they can get. Unlike the Devs and CS staff, these people in the company echelon are not concerned with the quality of the game, or the feelings of the players and fans. Their only interest is in the financial gain. Smedley has said as much himself.

In my opinion EQ is not ready for another expansion. I agree with one of my SOE contacts that OoW should not be released until Q4, and the dev staff should be allowed to work on EQ throughout the summer to shore up the system, correct bugs, work with graphics, optimization, etc.

Like I said, it's not the dev staff or cs team that are to blame for the state of EQ right now. The entire burden rests on the shoulders of the money grubbers. And, the only way we're going to effect change within the game is if we affect the bottom line. What I'm saying to you is...

Don't purchase Omens of War.

We will only convince Smedley and his ilk to give the devs the go ahead to change the game, if we absolutely REFUSE to buy any more trash exansions in the HOPES that we'll actually get our money's worth.

We have to put our proverbial foot down, force them to extract their fingers from our wallets, and engender an atmosphere of "no more money without change".

For most of us, EQ is no longer fun. It's no longer the game we fell in love with. I for one want that game back. I want the devs to have their way with the game. Looking at the other popular MMOG's on the market, I want the devs to be allowed to alter the game to make it fun again. And, they want to. They've been begging to. But, the higher ups aren't listening.

This, I guess, is my initial "call to arms". This community has to rally the rest of the EQ collective to make a stand. Let's put our credit cards away. Let's show them by not paying for the game, that we're unwilling to be force fed quick-fire expansions like Omens ever again.

---

When I'm fully moved and can spend the time to write, I will be drafting "the EQ-Lover's Manifesto" which will serve as our outline/request for change. Hopefully the rest of the community will build behind me and support the stance, and we'll get the game we deserve. We'll get our beloved EQ back.

I initially received an email from Alan "Brenlo" Crosby, getting a feeler for the situation and getting my phone number.

Alan then called to briefly talk to me, and let me know that Mr. Smedley would like to talk to me about a few things. I was also invited out to a "Guild Summit" coming up next Friday that is designed to have some of the guild and community leaders come out and help SOE get the game back on track by voicing their concerns.

Shortly after Brenlo and I got off the phone Smedley called to talk to me about the game in general, my concerns, Omens of War, etc. I would seem to me that SOE has gotten their wake up call. They are ready to take a step back and try to nail down the problems with the game.

Chief among the info he gave me is that Omens is going to be pushed back 6 weeks, and the time between now and then will be used to correct the issues in the game. Not stuff like class balance etc, but fixing bugs etc.

I honestly feel like 6 weeks will NOT be enough. But, it's a start.

You should realize though that I'm not prepared to back off on my support of this boycott just yet though. When we see the changes, when we feel the love, THEN we'll return the love!

Smedley and I got off the phone so that arrangements for my flight out could be initiated. He'll be calling me back later to talk more specifically about the game some more.

---

So what is the purpose of this post?

Right here, right now, is when you'll start letting me know what issues you have with the game in general. What do you want me to ask the SOE staff? I'll be talking to Devs, CS, Marketting... this is your opportunity to use me as the FACE and VOICE of the community. Here is your chance to be heard.

Smedly's Response (http://eqlive.station.sony.com/news_section/newsview.jsp?story=62268)

I thought some people might be interested in this. Yeah, I still read about EQ stuff years after quitting :|

Thanapur
05-26-2004, 09:44 PM
This is bad-fucking-ASS and I hope everyone takes advantage of it. Gooooooo Woody! Reclaim Everquest!!

Maegwin
05-26-2004, 09:59 PM
This is bad-fucking-ASS and I hope everyone takes advantage of it. Gooooooo Woody! Reclaim Everquest!!
I left my thoughts on that thread for Woody to take to the meeting. I stated in guild chat tonight that Smedley's decision to push back OoW by 6 weeks was the best thing to happen to EQ since Velious. They need to focus on making shit right, perfecting what they have got, and putting a hell of a lot of polish on what is here now.

Then they can thinkg about OoW, but not until then. If they do it right, they'll end up with a bunch of happy people about all the upgrades/fixes to the content they love so much. It might draw people back from WoW.

Thanapur
05-27-2004, 06:30 AM
OK, is anyone else having trouble getting to Woody's forums this morning?

Please tell me I haven't been booted from there, too! :(

Gheltire
05-27-2004, 06:38 AM
yeah getting critical errors when I try the forum links.

ie smedley decided who needs the pocket when you can get the host!:)

Thanapur
05-27-2004, 06:57 AM
We have many things planned for EverQuest over the upcoming years, and our goal is to keep you happily playing EverQuest for a long time to come. The best way for us to do that is by first and foremost is by listening to you.

John Smedley
President, Sony Online Entertainment

Oops, someone didn't proofread first. :D

Maegwin
05-27-2004, 07:18 AM
Oops, someone didn't proofread first. :D
Yeah, can't get to the forums.

Torrid
05-27-2004, 07:37 AM
This is a year+ overdue.

Everything after PoP was a clear and blatent milking of the userbase. Its insulting.

Zappo
05-27-2004, 10:32 AM
i know a way you can make money from everquest.

Azis
05-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Want to make things clear to soe? Hit them were it hurts....Don't purchase Sony products....

a couple 100,000 ppl x (lets say and avg of) $100 a year and that would grab some attention.

SoE craps on me? I purchase Aiwa instead of Sony. Why give your rl pp to a company that won't even have reliable in-game CS...God forbid I'd have a problem with a $600 stereo, or a $2,000 TV.

My 2cp

Fenudwin
05-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Don't purchase Sony products.... I purchase Aiwa instead of Sony.Agreed... Aiwa makes good stuff, so does Yamaha. Fen

Arcius
05-28-2004, 12:51 AM
I doubt not buying Sony Electronics will have any impact on how Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) operates. They may be owned by the same corporation, but they have little connection to each other. SOE isn't going to take notice if you don't buy a Sony TV. Me, I still buy Sony products because they make quality stuff and I like them. That doesn't mean I'll ever buy another product produced by SOE, though (and I haven't in 2+ years).

The only way to make SOE start producing quality expansions / games is to stop buying the shitty products they release.

Grabbit
05-28-2004, 05:42 PM
I'll be attending the summit. Maybe I can convince Andaas to join me and a few friends at a "gentlemens club" after the baseball game =P.

Kirynos
05-28-2004, 07:30 PM
haha, enjoy yourselves :)

Eomer
05-29-2004, 10:14 AM
If there is any one thing I like about living in Alberta, it's that we can throw coins at the peelers to win prizes! It makes it so much more degrading, it's great. Knock that loonie off her nipple and win a lighter!

Vidmer
05-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Knock that loonie off her nipple and win a lighter!

Could you translate that please? =p

Andriana Duskrose
05-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Could you translate that please? =p

No, the translation would be too complex for you to understand Vidmer, especially since a female is involved.

Vinilaa
05-29-2004, 01:13 PM
A loonie is a Canadian coin Vid. :o

Eomer
05-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Yeah, loonie is a one dollar coin and toonie is a two dollar one. The one dollar one has a loon on it, hence the name. The two dollar one has I think a polar bear, people just started calling it the toonie. Not sure about other places, but I know that in BC you don't toss em. Depends on the club here too, actually.

Was funny, when I wrote my trade exam last time I was in school, we went to a club nearby. They knew that a bunch of tradespeople were gonna be showing up, so they prepared. At one point there was like 6 girls on the stage, every one getting pelted with coins. One was even wearing safety glasses!

Dharrk
05-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Yeah, loonie is a one dollar coin and toonie is a two dollar one. The one dollar one has a loon on it, hence the name. The two dollar one has I think a polar bear, people just started calling it the toonie. Not sure about other places, but I know that in BC you don't toss em. Depends on the club here too, actually.

Was funny, when I wrote my trade exam last time I was in school, we went to a club nearby. They knew that a bunch of tradespeople were gonna be showing up, so they prepared. At one point there was like 6 girls on the stage, every one getting pelted with coins. One was even wearing safety glasses!

Crazy canadians, how old do they have to be to work there, 16, right?

Eomer
05-30-2004, 09:02 AM
To work in any bar, whether serving or whatever, they have to be 18. Pretty sure that someone under 18 isn't even allowed to touch booze if they are working in a restaurant, as well. Would be 19 in other provinces, depending on the age there.

Dharrk
05-30-2004, 09:25 AM
In Winnipeg, our waitress was 16, and there's definitely alcohol there. Also in a fair amount of American strip clubs, there is no booze, for the strippers sake.

Eomer
05-30-2004, 01:57 PM
Well I guess it depends province to province, but I would be surprised if that 16 year old coule legally serve alcohol. She could probably take orders and all that, but someone else would have to bring it out I think.

And yeah, I had heard that most states don't allow much more than beer in strip joints. I don't really see the logic, but hey.

Dharrk
05-30-2004, 02:38 PM
Drunk people tend to do things they normally wouldn't do when sober. Its for protection of the strippers, and so they can charge $3.00 + for a bottle of juice/water.

Zarxen
05-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Oh they allready charge that much, well in Vancouver they do anyway :(

Dharrk
05-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Hehe, $3.00 US is like $5.75 CD though.

Eomer
05-30-2004, 05:24 PM
Meh, they should have bouncers and a decent architectural layout to protect the strippers, if they think it's a problem. I haven't really ever heard of any problems here, other than bikers killing each other. But they don't need booze to do that!

And $3.00 US is like $4CDN right now smartass!