PDA

View Full Version : Anyone currently playing Horizons?

Punisher101
06-22-2004, 05:33 PM
Played it from beta til 3 months after release. Got tired of the lag issues on Shadow, as well as all the backup time for the major bugs. Just wondering, if anyone still plays, whether or not they have added some new content? And whether the Satyr race is cool or not. :P

Myztlee
06-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Wow, haven't touched it in months and months, wonder if my account still works, maybe it's actually interesting now.

Maegwin
06-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Wow, haven't touched it in months and months, wonder if my account still works, maybe it's actually interesting now.
They just laid off all their CS staff...doubt it's any better :p

Punisher101
06-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Heh, seems nothing new is happening. I think the game had some great ideas, but it was just a rough start, and the reliance upon everyone else was a double edged sword... also for the fact that devs couldn't keep up with how fast people were leveling, because they were too busy fixing all of the bugs. Better to wait a couple months and do it right the first time, then to start in prematurely only having to go back through it all for repairs.

Andaas
06-23-2004, 01:41 AM
Better to wait a couple months and do it right the first time, then to start in prematurely only having to go back through it all for repairs.

The problem is, many of the companies developing these MMO games rely solely on funding from a game publishing partner to survive. As the game runs later and later beyond its intended release date, the publisher is not always willing to pony up more money to release a game "when it's done".

I imagine in the case of several MMO games released over the past few years, that many were pushed out long before they were ready because the developer and publisher were unable to extend the development cycle. The unfortunate part of all of this, is that some companies (Sony) have gotten away with it and remained successful, which makes other companies follow suit.

Eomer
06-23-2004, 09:33 AM
I read a really interesting article awhile back about Horizons and the development process. From the sounds of it, the original creator dude who started the company was eventually forced out by a guy he brought in to help run the company, and then eventually he was ran off too. I wish I could remember where I read it, I would post it up. From the sounds of it, there was a lot of internal turmoil throughout the development process of the game, maybe explaining why it turned into such a mess in the end.

Didn't Slippy or another ranger work on Horizons? I can't remember.

Tarissa
06-23-2004, 11:05 AM
David Allen! Of Mordor infamy.

He kind of got pissed at me when I shit on his VB game, and he was sort of a nut as far as pie-in-the-sky promises.

Maegwin
06-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Samuel was the one who worked on Horizons. Samuel the Ranger Trainer was one of the NPC's in the game :p

Punisher101
06-23-2004, 12:28 PM
I read a really interesting article awhile back about Horizons and the development process. From the sounds of it, the original creator dude who started the company was eventually forced out by a guy he brought in to help run the company, and then eventually he was ran off too. I wish I could remember where I read it, I would post it up. From the sounds of it, there was a lot of internal turmoil throughout the development process of the game, maybe explaining why it turned into such a mess in the end.

Didn't Slippy or another ranger work on Horizons? I can't remember.
Partnerships are nasty :\

Buazag Bonesteel
06-24-2004, 11:52 AM
I played through most of beta in a fairly casual way. I took the bugs then with a grain of salt.....although constant server outages were annoying. Can't test if you can't stay logged in.

My main beef with the game was that despite some very cool and seemingly innovative ideas (I mean c'mon.....you could play as a dragon) it was boring as hell. They would have to add a serious assload of new content to make that game playable for anyone who was going to play for more than a few hours a week. All they left for you to do was level.....and the higher you got the less there was to do or fight until you had virtually nothing going on but a chat room with a snazzy looking background.

Punisher101
06-24-2004, 09:51 PM
I wasn't too fond of the amount of "tink trink tink" I heard when spending countless hours mining those nodes... lol

Buazag Bonesteel
06-25-2004, 10:11 AM
I wasn't too fond of the amount of "tink trink tink" I heard when spending countless hours mining those nodes... lol

Yeah....that did get annoying :rolleyes:

Supa
06-28-2004, 11:19 AM
I played it for awhile on the Shadow server..made it almost to 60ranger..but became tired of doing the same thing over and over. The game was fun at first, but gets boring fast.