PDA

View Full Version : Alter Bridge - One Day Remains

Elidroth
08-09-2004, 08:38 PM
So.. Creed breaks up. OK.. whatever. They basically fired Scott Stapp when his ego got so big it couldn't fit in the same room as the rest of the band. They pulled the original bass player back into the band (who Scott fired for not fitting into his image of the band), and got themselves a new singer named Myles Kennedy* and a new name; Alter Bridge.

I can't quite place the guy's voice.. it has flashes of Ray Alder (Fates Warning), Steve Perry (Journey), David Coverdale (Whitesnake), Ray Gillen (Badlands) Rest In Peace Ray.. you died WAY too young, Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave), and others. It's really strong and widely varied. This helps give the music a new flavor, but make no mistake.. these is the writing talent behind Creed.. so the music is very similar, if heavier. This CD also showcases Mark Tremonti's guitar skills a bit more than anything Creed ever did (Scott hated guitar solos), and his amazing tone is bigger than ever here (long live Mesa Boogie).

Short version: If you liked Creed, buy this CD. If you hated Creed because you didn't like them being so 'preachy', buy this CD. The music is very good, the tones are well produced and clear, and I honestly haven't heard a song I'd fast forward through yet.

By far my favorites though are:
Find The Real - HEAVY.. almost Black Sabbath like
Shed My Skin - Mark's goodbye to what Creed was..
Metalingus - Hmm.. seems Mark has spent a day or two with Zakk Wylde. It rubbed off. This song rocks.
The End Is Here - Borders on a power ballad but really shows off the vocal and guitar versatility in this band now. Impressive only scratches the surface.

2 thumbs up.

* In the movie Rock Star, when Mark Wahlberg quits the band Steel Dragon in the middle of the concert, he hands the mic to the guy he pulled up from the audience, one Myles Kennedy."

Buazag Bonesteel
08-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Hmmm.....sounds like it might be worth a listen. I always kinda liked Creed......heavier sounds gud.

It's also very cool to see that someone else out there knows who Ray Alder is :p

Elidroth
08-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Ray is a great voice.. I saw Fates Warning here in San Diego just before No Exit came out.. never liked them with John Arch.. but Ray is just awesome. Can't wait to hear their new CD next month.

Sleepie
08-10-2004, 12:43 PM
open your eyes is also a good song by them. I liked it right away when I first heard it :) Gonna see what i think about the rest of their stuff :) Sounds promising though

Zobb
08-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Im not afraid to admit it, I like Creed. I liked Scott too, he has a great voice. So his lyrics were lame and preachy, but its not like Godsmack is writing the prose of the century and they fuckin rock. But I knew the rest of the band was the real genius behind the music, so I was somewhat excited about Alter Bridge. Picked it up the other day and best I can do is, ehh. I dont hate it, I dont love it.

The music is very good, like Elid mentioned, same tone as Creed. But that is kind of a problem, it sounds like the same old thing. I can live with that but the thing that makes me not love it is Myles voice. Dont get me wrong he has a very good, but I get immediate visions of 80s hair bands when I hear him. Elid nailed it with David Coverdale/Steve Perry. Where hes getting Chris Cornell I have no idea. It adds just the wrong flavor for me to ignore this band.