PDA

View Full Version : As usual, it's all about zombies.

Myztlee
08-29-2004, 05:28 AM
This weekend there's a huge sci-fi / horror con going on. As much as we would have loved to have gone, it was too expensive, and we both had to work yesterday. But last night, there was a zombie costume party run by Rue Morgue, the Toronto horror magazine (like Fangoria but much better), with "special guest" Tom Savini (spfx makeup guy for all the Romero zombie movies, was also Sex Machine in From Dusk Till Dawn, etc etc). The guy who played Leatherface in the Chainsaw remake was there, plus one more guest that I'll leave out for a minute.

So Sarah and I did ourselves up as zombies again. We only had 2 hours, to we didn't have any huge facial prosthetics going, just makeup and lots of blood. And I did have my 15' of fake intestines hanging out of my shirt, plus 1 white contact lens and 1 black. We looked pretty fucked up.

We head out, freaking out the taxi driver, and all the people on the street when we get out. People in the crowd all were very impressed, lots of comments and compliments.

At some point, being "goth" has become trendy. It's gone from being different to being cool. I'm not surprised, but it's kinda silly.

Anyway, we go inside, at first the music was good, a cool blend of horror music themes and such, but quickly degraded into club music. Not a single person there, except some drunk guy, was enjoying it, added to the fact it was being blasted louder than a jet plane. Maybe 10 people had come as a zombie that was more than just some fake blood on their face, only one of them had actually done the makeup themselves, the rest had had other people do it for them, such as makeup teachers, professionals that have been doing this for 20 years.

See, Tom Savini was going to be the judge. So these people figured that by getting their teachers to do the makeup, it'd get them noticed, and they could all maybe get a gig working on the next Romero zombie movie that's coming in October. Sure, great plan, just really fucking cheap when you have people that actually did the work themselves trying to get noticed. Or just to have fun.

Note to self: Since the competition went to "audience reaction", make sure to bring a ton of friends to cheer for you the loudest, which is also how the competition was "won".

But to backtrack a bit, Sarah and I decide we can afford one beer each, and go to the bar. Right next to Tom Savini. I say hello, and that I've enjoyed his work. He nods then turns away.

Sex Machine? More like just a dick. I guess I'm crazy, but when you're the special guest at a party that's a reflection of the line of work that made you "famous", and others who share the same interest in what you've done, and seem to enjoy it a lot to the point of covering themselves in goo come to say hello, you can fucking well acknowledge them in a polite manner. All I know is, when we're famous, and start hosting our own parties, I'll be going around checking out every person in makeup, encouraging them, and even looking for people to work for me.

I wasn't the only person there to think he was a bit of an asshole, either. Someone that's worked with him before confirmed it. Too bad, I'd also heard he was supposed to be cool.

So the "competition" starts, the one thing I did like was Tom made a big deal of taking out the earplugs he'd had in all night. Anyway, we all get up there, Sarah and I do a Lady and the Tramp spaghetti dinner thing with my intestines. We did get a good reaction, but others, whose makeup, I will say, was not even that good, got huge screams and cheers. So we got 5th place, and some stupid goodies.

(Personally, I don't care how good your face prosthetic mask looks, if that's all you have, you're a guy in makeup. Zombies = bloody gory messes. This was a zombie costume contest, not a "who can spend the most time/money on their makeup contest. Yes, I'm slightly annoyed, only because it proves that we have to do this on our own, and nobody, not even Savini who's supposed to be the cool guy that's down to earth, is for real)

Afterwards, many, MANY people were coming over to us saying we'd been robbed, that we should have won. That made it all better. I knew we looked good, and by that point, I really didn't care to try to talk to the guy further about any suggestions about our movie, or even the time of day.

The leatherface guy was acting like a drunken, frat boy football player. Booze + roids = brain killers, buddy.

However, the part that was the icing on the cake, the cake being that even though it was a lot of money spent and not too much fun, we had people asking us if they could get our picture, and telling us how great we looked, the icing being the third guest judge was the guy that played Pinhead in the hellraiser movies, Sarah's favourite. We got a picture of her with him, and exchanged a few words, but that was it. Still, at least he was cool.

So as soon as that was done, we split. And headed for the core of club land, just to walk past all the ginos and barbies and see if any would throw up. None did, some even approved, but we got enough disgusted looks to make my day.

Oh well. Another experience in life.

Anyone have $250,000Can to loan us so we can make our movie?

Pictures: Me, Sarah, Sarah and a "oh good, another freak that wants my picture" Pinhead. (Hey, he was doing all the "I'll tear your soul apart" lines on stage, milking his minor claim to fame as much as possible. The picture's not good, he was actually much friendly than he looks, in reality, he was wanting to get the hell outside so he could have a cigarette...)

http://www.nilson.ca/pete/pete.jpg
http://www.nilson.ca/pete/sarah.jpg
http://www.nilson.ca/pete/sarah_pinhead.jpg

Vinilaa
09-05-2004, 11:25 AM
I wanna be a zombie for Hallow's Eve... MH teach me!!!

Tarissa
09-05-2004, 12:09 PM
wow sarah is hot!

(as soon as i saw this subject i knew it was a pete post~)

Mystrae
09-05-2004, 12:36 PM
I wanna be a zombie for Hallow's Eve... MH teach me!!!

Dont do it Vinilaa! He'll just end up painting your boobies! :D

Myztlee
09-12-2004, 07:50 AM
Not true! I'll paint the rest of her too...

Start with a very light green concealer, the kind makeup stores sell claiming it's good for covering up zits (it's not, use yellow, green makes you look dead... perfect for zombies though!). The green cancels red, so it takes all the life out of your skin. Don't cake it on, just a very thin layer. You'll see right away, you look either nauseous or dead. Then mottle shades of grey, green and purple all over. Then do some darker areas around the temples, cheeks, under jawline - really accentuate any hollows, make you look more gaunt. Especially the eye sockets, nostrils. Douse yourself in fake blood, gel your hair all fucked up, and off you go. Dirty, shredded clothes help.

Fake blood is tricky. The cheap stuff you get in the malls/costume shops is usually crap, way too bright. Add either chocolate syrup to darken it and keep it sticky/runny, or instant coffee powder to darken it and make it sort of clotted looking. Or, get food colouring - but NOT the stuff you get in the grocery store, that stuff is way too purple. If you can find a bakery supply store, get it there - for one thing, it's really cheap, and it's also perfect. Embassy Food Specialties, US Red 7074. Straight out of the bottle, it looks like blood. Either thicken it with corn syrup, or darken with chocolate syrup, or again, clot it up with instant coffee powder.

Or just let me paint your boobies...

Thuggo
09-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Brush or fingerpainting?

Vinilaa
09-25-2004, 09:29 AM
Not true! I'll paint the rest of her too...

Start with a very light green concealer, the kind makeup stores sell claiming it's good for covering up zits (it's not, use yellow, green makes you look dead... perfect for zombies though!). The green cancels red, so it takes all the life out of your skin. Don't cake it on, just a very thin layer. You'll see right away, you look either nauseous or dead. Then mottle shades of grey, green and purple all over. Then do some darker areas around the temples, cheeks, under jawline - really accentuate any hollows, make you look more gaunt. Especially the eye sockets, nostrils. Douse yourself in fake blood, gel your hair all fucked up, and off you go. Dirty, shredded clothes help.

Fake blood is tricky. The cheap stuff you get in the malls/costume shops is usually crap, way too bright. Add either chocolate syrup to darken it and keep it sticky/runny, or instant coffee powder to darken it and make it sort of clotted looking. Or, get food colouring - but NOT the stuff you get in the grocery store, that stuff is way too purple. If you can find a bakery supply store, get it there - for one thing, it's really cheap, and it's also perfect. Embassy Food Specialties, US Red 7074. Straight out of the bottle, it looks like blood. Either thicken it with corn syrup, or darken with chocolate syrup, or again, clot it up with instant coffee powder.

took me a bit to see this but thanks Myzt! I'm gonna be a zombie for halloween and post pics here just for you! :p

Vinilaa
09-25-2004, 09:30 AM

Kinda missed this part though... :eek: :o :eek: :o

Myztlee
09-25-2004, 02:13 PM
Looking forward to the pictures. Especially if there are boobies. Have fun!