PDA

View Full Version : Two more questions

Kirynos
10-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Parts are in, I'm trying to assemble it today -- wish me luck.

1) Anyone know what a Northbridge Chipset Fan might be? I think I figured that out now, heh.
-the second part to this is the power supply having a fan sensor, and then 3 more fans in the computer. Only one plug in has a sensor, so I can use the PS for that one, right? CPUFan, 1 Fan+sensor, 1 Fan-sensor, NBFan plug ins. I'm hoping this baby stays cool, heh.

2) I was just going to install a DVD-RW drive to the computer, but then I wondered if I can boot from a DVD drive. I know I can from a CD-ROM, but has anyone else installed WinXP from a DVD drive alone? (I did buy a floppy drive)

:confuse:

Eomer
10-18-2005, 04:13 PM
The chipset fan is simply the fan that cools you chipset, believe it or not! Basically just look for the only fan that your motherboard has, that'll be it. I don't really understand the second part of that question, though. Plug the CPU HSF into the CPU_1 or FAN_1 spot on the motherboard. I assume the other case fans you have come with MOLEX connectors, the larger ones that are the same as HD/DVD/CD drive power connections right? Just plug those in where convenient, trying to route wiring off to the side somehwere to allow good airflow in your case. The plug in coming from the powersupply is nothing but the RPM sensor, it gets it's own power internally and may either run at a constant speed or if it's a good PS it'll speed up and slow down according to the air temperature inside of it. The connection merely lets you monitor that fan speed, so just plug it into another available connection and make a note of which it is. The chipset cooler should already be plugged in and shouldn't require you to mess with it.

My HTPC only had a DVD drive, and I could boot and install just fine with only that. Don't get me started on RAID 5 drivers, though. What a goddamn nightmare.

Kirynos
10-18-2005, 04:50 PM
I got a diskette with raid drivers, so I guess if i need to use them, i will.

I guess what i meant by the first question was which fan should i plug into the sensor one... but I guess it really doesn't matter because RPM's are monitored, not temperature. My PS does change its speed based on temp, and I thought that was the way it monitored it, but the data flows the other way. 2 fans have larger 4 pin connectors (i think they only use 2 of them) which I guess is ok with the 4 pin outlets on the PS... don't want to blow out the fans with too much power though. **that's actually a question** 1 fan obviously can plug into the MB, and the 2nd fan on the PS has the right connectors too.

I'm glad i won't have to switch out the CDRom from old broken, and use it to install new hottness.

Thanks for the info!

Kirynos
10-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Oh YEAH--- I have this part, or shall i say 2 parts that obviously are card slot *thingys* that look like silver stands or something in this picture -- Bottom Right Hand Corner.

What are these Used For? i cant find any info in the manual.

Eomer
10-19-2005, 07:35 AM
Heh, I don't know either, I've got one of them and I can't figure out what the hell it's for. You shouldn't need the RAID drivers unless you're doing a RAID array, otherwise no drivers are required. Windows XP is just a fucking nightmare to install to a RAID array, is all.

Dakyras
10-19-2005, 10:41 AM
OK from left to right we had IDE slaving cable, second one looked like the floppy cable, Next was a power supply splitter cable to add another connection, below and to the right you had Serial ATA cables for setting up a serial HD, above was some sort of interface plugin for the backside of the box... probably extra USB connex or some shit can't tell without seeing the backside, then I saw an extra faceplate for where your Mobo sticks out the back of the box and can't remember what was below that... will look in a sec.. -J

Kirynos
10-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Is it safe to assume the IDE cables sent with a newer model motherboard will be 80-conductor and not 40 conductor?

Dakyras
10-19-2005, 10:42 AM
OK the little silver piece below the faceplate is a PCI slot blocker... if you open up a pci slot on the back then decide you don't want to use it... you put that in place to close it back up... No idea what that little green piece of plastic is below the floppy cable =) hope that helped

Dakyras
10-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Err... just read back through your post Kir and you didn't need allllll of that info :) whatever just pickout what you needed - Dak

Eomer
10-19-2005, 11:45 AM
It's not just a simple piece to block an expansion slot after you break off the case's cover for it. It's some sort of bracket, for what I do not know. I think perhaps for an expansion card that sits differently in the slot and doesn't need a back plate on it for whatever reason. They're relatively new, never got one up until the past year.

Dakyras
10-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Hmm I will have to look for one to check it out... could it serve as a spacer? I had a VGU burn out ( read blackened bubbled plastic) on me a few years back because my soundcard was in the next slot down and it wasn't getting enough airflow... so I am looking at wear that bracket comes off of it and it looks like it might block off the actual PCI slot and not just the bay in back... but would need to look at it and play with it to know for sure :)

Eomer
10-19-2005, 01:25 PM
That may be exactly what it is, to keep enough space between two SLI cards maybe?

Kirynos
10-19-2005, 09:30 PM
that could definitely be it, I know you have to install a bridge in my system to SLI, and since I haven't got 400 more dollars to spend on another card, I just ignored that part...

thanks for the info -- talked to a BestBuy GeekSquad and he said my IDE is 80, so I'm happy.

Now, i have to find a store that sells an analog CD-Rom to Sound card wire. Apparently the 24bit Sound Blaster onboard chip doesn't have a digital connection for my DVD-RW (WOWZERS!)
On top of that, I hear GEIL ram doesn't do well in MSI motherboards :P

Kirynos
10-20-2005, 01:14 AM
Good and bad news... I've completed assembly of my computer. I think the PSU will be bad, however. The 12V rail is safer with a higher amperage than what's on the Thermaltake. If it doesn't boot, i'll probably have to buy myself another PSU.

It's got 18A, but posters on the MSI MB site claim 24-30 is ideal.