PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router, what kind

Katianara
12-23-2005, 01:34 PM
The wife and I pooled our Christmas presents to each other and bought a Laptop. :D Now I need a router, the one I have is not wireless. This is my first laptop and I know nothing about the wireless stuff. Money is not really an options, I'd rather spend it now then later, but at the same time I am really not sure what it's capable of.

Any Advice is Appreciated

Thanks

Kurbi
12-23-2005, 01:41 PM
linksys, without question. I've had bad experiences with netgear and dlink.

Kattoo Tacit
12-23-2005, 02:21 PM
linksys, without question. I've had bad experiences with netgear and dlink.

The Belkin I installed for my uncle beats out linksys hands down, net gear is not bad I suppose, Dlink is on the bottom of the stack for me. If I had to rank my personal preference it would be belkin, linksys, netgear, then Dlink, but keep in mind that Belkin Customer Service sucks.

Crimsonbanshee
12-23-2005, 02:26 PM
linksys or smc nothing else by my experiance ( however never seen a belkin one so i cant offer a opinion on that )

CB

Aerothas
12-24-2005, 12:04 PM
I use the Linksys WRT54GS wireless router with their range extender in another room, covers everything no problem :)

NormetheGnome
12-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Linksys without a doubt. If your not a techno wizard or a COMPLETE geek setting up your stuff can be a major Pain. If you can get past the THICK accent linksys customer service is avail 24/7.

Tarissa
12-24-2005, 08:48 PM
if you get a linksys, be prepared to have a wireless range of around 5 feet, plus or minus 5 feet (for some reason the firmware is hardcoded at 50% power level, and it takes a 3rd party firmware to raise this)

There are waaaay better options out there, and I think Belkin is the one that comes to mind.

Element
12-25-2005, 01:53 AM
D-link, 'til the day I die, which may not be far off...

Great reliability and compatability.

www.dlink.com (http://www.dlink.com)

Trevlen
12-27-2005, 06:39 AM
I use Linksys 802.11g. Never had problems with it. Great range on it too.Thats my advice.

Varran
12-27-2005, 12:11 PM
I assume the laptop isn't a Mac. If it is a Mac definitely don't get linksys, they tend to be hit or miss as for Mac support (despite what manuals or tech support tells you).

If it's a bill gates machine, Linksys does the trick, heard a few friends talk about the same one Aero has... they like it.

Talas
12-27-2005, 01:06 PM
I agree with Aerothas. Though I haven't done any significant testing on its range, it suits what I need. Be sure to keep up to date on firmware, like others have said.

Celillenna
12-27-2005, 01:43 PM
I assume the laptop isn't a Mac. If it is a Mac definitely don't get linksys, they tend to be hit or miss as for Mac support (despite what manuals or tech support tells you).

Our linksys never had problems with my iBook, so I guess that's a hit.

Argonah
12-29-2005, 02:51 AM
Linksys WRT54G + custom firmware = winner.

Katianara
12-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Just a note to say thanks for all the replies.

I bought the Lynksys WRT54gs and it rocks! although slower then the 4mb download I have on my hardwired machines, it's still good enough to game with when the others are tied up :)

NormetheGnome
12-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Oh as an aside...Dont put your comp or router anywhere near a microwave if its wireless G. Itll kill the transmision :P

Skaara
12-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Oh as an aside...Dont put your comp or router anywhere near a microwave if its wireless G. Itll kill the transmision :P

on that same note don't make popcorn during a raid.