PDA

View Full Version : Metal FTW!!

Killershadow
01-21-2006, 03:08 AM
Just trying to bring some new threads to this topic, and looking for Metalheads within the guild just like myself. I want everyone to post at least one metal band that you listen to that is different from any that have been posted before and why you like them...

I'll start with...

Pantera!

I love pantera because of their raw sound and because they revolutionized metal as it should be (of course my own opinion).

Sixseven
01-23-2006, 04:18 PM
I like Marilyn Manson 'cause his stuff is dark, artsy, and industrial ... beyond that I'm not really into his whole "I'm a goth freak" image, which I think is largely a product of marketing (brand management and what not).

I'm also not an atheist, and in my interpretation, Manson's "anti-God" lyrics are directed against the bureaucracies of large, organized religions and the "brain washing" that can occur from identifying one's values with the religious bureaucracy more so than the religious principals which that bureaucracy was designed to uphold. I do NOT think Manson's stuff is against religion or Christianity itself (ergo I'm not a hypocrit woot!).

travoid
01-27-2006, 11:15 AM
I am a big fan of Pantera and Sepultura, but not of metal in general. I kind of like System of a Down, but I can only handle them a few songs at a time. And of course I love Black Sabbath and Ozzy's solo stuff.
Most new metal sounds pretty generic and formulaic to me, but I listen to punk, so who am I to complain that a genre all sounds the same ;)

Xenia
01-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Stone Sour - "black heart" because it is totally a fucked up song
Slipknot - Cuz it's just crazy
3rd Strike - check out "lisa" and "no light" my personal favorites (Think like neo - Rage against the Machine) I like them because they are political an yet totally rock - I liked early Rage Against the machine - this is semi-like them
Ramstein (No not from Stratholme - and no I don't speak German, but *shrug*) I just like their beats and such - the guy sounds totally dark
To mix it up - Jem - "24" an "They"
Linkin Park - DUH!
Korn - though not so much any more

Have to say, unfortunatly not a fan of the 80's rock though =(

-Xenia

Sixseven
01-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Korn - though not so much any more

I know, wtf happened? All their stuff sounds 'pop' these days. There's no more "war march" feel to it. :mad:

Lonskils
01-28-2006, 12:29 PM
I like Korn's new album a lot

travoid
01-29-2006, 09:52 PM
korn was played out when "follow the leader" came out. Its funny that they went from not allowing any videos on mtv to going full out corporate whore without anything in between.
Not that theres anything wrong with being a corporate whore, just don't be so blatant about it.
And korn isn't metal anyway, what the shit? :p

Fairplay
01-30-2006, 12:12 AM
Children Of Bodom

Because they are the best power metal band ever and their guitarist is fucking sweet.

Lothbah
01-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Refused is a good hardcore band.
They aren't white trash circus-metal or crappy nu-metal. Plenty of good guitars, drums, and yelling to keep everyone happy.

Speaking of nu-metal... re: Korn

I know, wtf happened? All their stuff sounds 'pop' these days. There's no more "war march" feel to it. :mad:

Ross Robinson produced Korn and Life is Peachy (their only good albums). That is definitely what makes them better than those that followed. Robinson basically created nu-metal with Korn, the Deftones (he did Around the Fur and the White Pony I think), and Slipknot. Since then he's criticized the nu-metal genre for stagnating and not being progressive enough.

Robinson moved on to making Post-Hardcore sound like what it is now. At The Drive-In's Relationship of Command, Glassjaw's Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence and Worship and Tribute, The Blood Brothers' ...Burn Piano Island, Burn, etc.

Pretty much any CD with Robinson's name on it is worth buying.

Anyway yeah, that should answer your question about why Korn sucks now - sorry for the semi-derail.

NormetheGnome
02-22-2006, 07:42 AM
Older Korn is better. And Slipknot is fucking awesome. Kick you in the face with a drum solo awesome. If ya ever get a chance go see them in fuckin concert it was AWESOME.

NormetheGnome
02-22-2006, 07:43 AM
I liked follow the leader too.

Fairplay
03-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Slipknot fucking blows.

NormetheGnome
03-04-2006, 02:10 PM
You fucking blow. Slipknot is a great band and put on an awesome show.

Fairplay
03-04-2006, 03:01 PM
lol music is the worst to argue about so ill just stop it here =D

Lonskils
03-04-2006, 05:11 PM
says the guy with a billy idol avatar...talk about someone that sold out then washed up in the blink of an eye....

Fairplay
03-04-2006, 06:02 PM
billy idol is just tough. fuck his music or style or anything. just look at that pic. is there a tougher person?

Lonskils
03-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Mr T?

Gwaar
03-05-2006, 06:20 AM
Try Shadows Fall, Godforbid, and Lamb of God if you need some new talented metal to listen too.

Fairplay
03-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Lamb of God ain't bad. I'd rather listen to Textures, Zyklon, Necrophagist, Amon Amarth, Bloodbath, and Lykathea Aflame. Just not a fan of a lot of the new metal.

NormetheGnome
03-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Lamb of god and Shadows fall are allright.

Just getting tired of bands that all they do is scream and beat on the fucking drums. Great things, dont get me wrong. But if your lyrics are fucking ignorant whats the point?

Gwaar
03-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Any of my suggestions are biased towards guitar players as thats what I do. Nothing says metal more in my opinion than great guitar riffs.

Fairplay
03-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Any of my suggestions are biased towards guitar players as thats what I do. Nothing says metal more in my opinion than great guitar riffs.

you ever listen to necrophagist? cause their guitarist is a fucking god.

Sixseven
03-06-2006, 03:30 PM

Guitar is the only reason I bought the Rammstein CD's back when, I love that style.

What are some good Necrophagist songs? I'll try and get some of their stuff off of iTunes or napster if the guitar is that good.

Fairplay
03-06-2006, 03:32 PM
listen to

Only Ash Remains
Culinary Hyperversity
Foul Body Autospy
Seven

Elidroth
03-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Lately I've been listening to a lot of the following:

Dream Theater (not just lately.. pretty much always since 1989).
Slipknot
Avenged Sevenfold
Mudvayne
Symphony X
Taproot

Oh.. and the other very non-metal..

Muse
Robbie Williams
Frank Sinatra

Vinen
03-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Personally been listening to a lot of,
Shade Empire
Dragonforce
Angra
and Opeth recently.

JalexMyne
03-28-2006, 10:32 AM
I love Mushroomhead and Opeth. Also I like Ministry.

jal

Killershadow
03-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Shade Empire
Dragonforce
Angra
and Opeth recently.
Dragonforece owns! Avenged Sevenfold is another good up coming metal band trying to bring the badass back in music. None of this sissy shit anymore. And i'd have to agree with Norme on Slipknot's live performance, saw them last year at Ozzfest, Amazing is all that I can say.

But still the classics are the best; Iron Maiden, Metallica (Before the Black Album), Pantera, Dream Theater, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, and Guns N' Roses. No one can compete with these guys.

But when it comes to the more recent bands I would have to say that Avenged Sevenfold, Children of Bodom, Lamb of God, Slayer (Which is kind of Old but still fucking kick ass), Slipknot, Black Label Society, Shadows Fall, Tool and All That Remains.

And if your really into the Hardcore/Metal-core scene you should check out Old Avenged Sevenfold (Sounding the Seventh Trumpet), Nodes of Ranvier, The Bled, Falling Cycle, Unearth (Absolutly amazing musicians in every aspect), and Poison the Well

Fairplay
03-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Shade Empire
Dragonforce
Angra
and Opeth recently.

Opeth is probably one of the best bands out there right now.

NormetheGnome
03-28-2006, 08:21 PM
I didnt like poison the well that much. It kinda bored me.

Lots of bands just want to scream and rip on the instruments. But for fuck sakes if your lyrics are shit whats the damned point?

Killershadow
03-28-2006, 08:31 PM
I didnt like poison the well that much. It kinda bored me.

Lots of bands just want to scream and rip on the instruments. But for fuck sakes if your lyrics are shit whats the damned point?
I completly understand what your saying but for me personally i dont focus on lyrics. Being a guitarist I listen mostly on the guitar and other times the drums, especially when Im high, for the most part I could give a rats ass what the singer was spitting out.

NormetheGnome
03-30-2006, 12:10 PM
For me its a whole picture thing. Gotta blend well or you got shit. Every member should compliment what the other members are doing or you dont need em there...

Skaara
03-30-2006, 03:04 PM
For me its a whole picture thing. Gotta blend well or you got shit. Every member should compliment what the other members are doing or you dont need em there...

Almost sounds like you are describing a successful guild.

Stacked
03-30-2006, 06:00 PM
Outside of Manson I rarely listen to anything else.

The only song that came along that I absolutely liked was Nymphetamine by Cradel of Filth. It just seemed that that song had everything right about it. It was probably their version of a sell out.

It was a horrible let down to hear the rest of their music though. I thought it was complete garbage.

Fairplay
03-31-2006, 12:05 PM
Lately I've been listening to a lot of the following:

Dream Theater (not just lately.. pretty much always since 1989).

Personally I'd rather listen to Liquid Tension Experiment.

NormetheGnome
04-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Im so emo, lately I been listening to a little bit of everything. Avenged Sevenfold, Lacuna Coil, Bullet for my Valentine, Atreyu, Burden Brothers, Panic! At the Disco, Fall out boy, Nonpoint (Broken bones FTW), Him, Hinder (Dont buy their CD FYI 1 good song) Korn (Sell out much?) Killswitch Engage (Uber all the time), Faktion, Mindless Self Indulgence, Ra, and Mettallica's Black album.

Killershadow
04-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Im so emo, lately I been slitting my wrists wanting to kill myself listening to a little bit of everything. Atreyu, Panic! At the Disco, Fall out boy, and Mindless Self Indulgence.

FIXED :D

NormetheGnome
04-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Yeah I know. Fuck you.

Killershadow
04-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Yeah I know. Fuck you.

LOL

NormetheGnome
04-10-2006, 02:40 PM
I completly understand what your saying but for me personally i dont focus on lyrics. Being a guitarist I listen mostly on the guitar and other times the drums, especially when Im high, for the most part I could give a rats ass what the singer was spitting out.

Drum solo? Iron butterfly. :P