04-16-2007, 01:49 PM
They didnt do anything...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070416/ap_on_re_us/virginia_tech_shooting

Crimsonbanshee
04-16-2007, 01:56 PM
I have been listening to this unfold today on the radio . A horrible day indeed

Vidmer
04-16-2007, 03:32 PM
A truly saddening and heartbreaking day indeed.

This touched a little close to home as I once lived in that dorm. In fact it is where I started playing EQ and got involved with Hoss along with Elyria/Cook.

My heart goes out to Hokie nation and all those lost a loved one.

Vidmer
Class of 2001/2003

Lonskils
04-16-2007, 03:50 PM
This was just horrbile and the incoming changes to all school campus' will be sadder still.

My heart goes out to all of the people associated with this tragedy.

Vanuiil
04-17-2007, 01:37 AM
a sad and difficult day indeed..one of those killed was a friend of mine -- he died in the hospital. someone else i know was in a classroom where only four people survived -- she did so by playing dead, and a few others escaped by jumping out the window. most were not so fortunate :/

Aindayen
04-17-2007, 07:29 AM
What a truly horrible thing.

I am not sure what you can do to stop such things though.

The University will probably be in court about the decision not to cancel classes.

A person could just walk into a mall or any busy place, and you couldn't stop it immediately.

It can't be random with the selection of a dorm, and classroom building. The fact he used chain to lock the doors is just nuts so he gave it some thought.

I'm unsure about all schools, but you had to check in to get into the dorms unless you had your ID. I'm sure this will become a standard if it isn't already that way.

This has to be a student or someone related to a student that went to this university.

My heart goes out to those families. Nobody should feel danger when persuing higher education. What a horrible thing.

I pray we don't get to the point where you have to walk through a metal detector to get into class. What a sad day that will be.

Ain

Talas
04-17-2007, 09:33 AM
A person could just walk into a mall or any busy place, and you couldn't stop it immediately.

Ain
Like the Trolley Square shootings here in SLC a few months back. I don't think there are really good preventative measures that will ultimately stop this from happening. You can put metal detectors all around campus and attempt to enforce it, but it's not really feasible.

I'm sure the President will step down, since he was ultimately responsible for communication to the students regarding the first shooting. To me, that was the only real error - but it was a BIG error. It seemed like the police responded quickly, but how can you really prevent so many people from dying in a University hall without placing a policeman inside each building?

Utah legislature recently enforced the ability to carry arms on campus here, and in all Utah schools. I think it actually may improve safety. You'd definitely think twice about opening fire when any of the potential victims could be carrying a weapon as well.

Vanuiil - really sorry to hear about it. It really sucks and it reminds you that if someone wants to do that, there is very little you can do about it to protect yourself. I guess all you can do is hope that it won't happen to you or anyone you know. :(

Lonskils
04-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Here in TX, you don't even have to have someone break into your house anymore, they just passed a law saying if they are on your property you can shoot em lol. I love this state already!

Gheltire
04-17-2007, 03:45 PM
outside of the tragedy of the event itself, it's painful that they attach VT's name to it...the VT Massacre...like the Whitman shooings in Austin, it attaches a university to an atrocity that in the future people will be more likely to remember than the unviersity itself...people still think of the tower shootings 40 years later

I remembered that Vid was a Hokie and wanted to check in. I'm relieved that neither you or Van were involved, but I'm sorry you were affected.

the Holocaust survivor who died protecting his students should be what's remembered...not the bastard with the guns

/salute Hokies

NormetheGnome
04-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Ill never understand why these people go on killing sprees and just kill random people. Why random people and not politicians? Why not people that put clothes on their pets? Why not the people who let their 6 year old kids ride in strollers?

Yet another fuckhead ruining shit for everyone. Have fun with tightened security at all colleges.

Slippy
04-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Sad day indeed. I too was concerned about Vidmer and others I remembered went to VT in the past.

Should need a test to buy a gun or have a child.

Scott

Stacked
04-23-2007, 06:26 PM
What ever happened to the good old days when all the sad little kids wrote about how horrible life was and then just killed themselves. People are becoming famous for mass killings and the media is helping it. You don't see little Johnny Jackass that killed himself on the news until he took out several people with him.

Just FYI we are on kid #4 to kill himself at our local public school and it hasn't made it past the local news. BUT...you take Pearl, MS thats right down the road 5 miles, they had a kid walk in and shoot up the place and it made CNN (http://www.cnn.com/US/9806/12/school.shooting.verdict/). ( Just look at that shit eat'n grin. ) WTF people lets get smart about this media bullshit. The media is causing this to happen by making these fucknuts into a icon for a few weeks+. Now you got every crazy wanting that kind of attention. The Media raised the bar and these fuckers are jumping it.