PDA

View Full Version : soy, bitches

Ty!
04-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Since Andriana keeps saying soy will turn men into bitch-tittied estrogenified tiny-penised Arawn-weight wimps, I thought I'd investigate.

I asked some dude who knows his shit about soy:

soy in men showed a small impact on hormones at high phytoestrogen intakes (something like 70 mg which would be 2X30 g scoops of soy protein)

lesser amounts have no impact.

IMO, a small amount if fine, you don't want to live on the stuff

phytoestrogen = isoflavone = plant hormone similar to human estrogen, but barely has any effect

The other soy risk is: if you're iodine deficient (typical diet of 99% of people aren't), you could devlop goiters due to thyroid problems. That is, soy is harmless to thyroid if you've got a decent overall diet or supplement w/ iodine. In fact, babies can be fed w/ soy "milk" + iodine (but not w/o).

So, soy (in moderation) just isn't going to do any harm. They've only been able to show any effect on sex hormones w/ huge doses.

If you had to choose between soy protein or no protein, you'd take the soy.

Soy industry propoganda: http://www.soyfoods.org/health/primer-on-soy/

Andaas
04-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Pics or it's not true!

(This is the screenshots & pictures forum, after all)

Andriana Duskrose
04-18-2007, 03:14 PM
http://www.t-nation.com/portal_includes/articles/2004/302poison2.html

Interesting stuff on Soy. It's a good read.

And if it came down to it, I would personally choose a plant (non-soy) protein source (e.g. nuts or beans), incomplete as it may be, over soy. :D

Angelie
04-18-2007, 03:24 PM
http://www.t-nation.com/portal_includes/articles/2004/302poison2.html

Interesting stuff on Soy. It's a good read.

And if it came down to it, I would personally choose a plant (non-soy) protein source (e.g. nuts or beans), incomplete as it may be, over soy. :D

:) As much as I love the dopamine in nuts, I'd rather have soy to have less fat :)

Arawn
04-18-2007, 03:27 PM
!!!! almond milk !!!!!

Still... cow milk is the greater of all the evils.

Lonskils
04-18-2007, 03:31 PM
i like cow milk, it is the only milk I drink so if I am gonna wanta cookie and milk it will be cow milk not soy milk not camel milk not goat milk not any other kind of milk.

Now go get a cocoa soy latte carmel slurpee and drink up to your own act of inclusion in the vast marketing ploy that is the soy bean producers of the world.

brb putting on tin foil hat.

Syana
04-18-2007, 05:07 PM
weirdos

boopie
04-18-2007, 05:34 PM
pics?

Andriana Duskrose
04-18-2007, 05:45 PM
:) As much as I love the dopamine in nuts, I'd rather have soy to have less fat :)

Except that the fat in nuts is actually rather good for you. Those whacky mono and polyunsaturated fats.

Personally though, for protein, I'd rather have a lean animal or part thereof, or a whey based protein powder, preferably a lactose-free isolate.

As for milk... I'll pass thanks. Cow, goat, soy, almond, breast... Okay, the breast milk can stay, so long as she and her boobies are hawt.

Ty!
04-18-2007, 05:59 PM
It's hard to actually demonstrate any real-world health benefits from nut consumption. I think the closest they've come is having people eat a ton of walnuts.

Andriana Duskrose
04-18-2007, 06:41 PM
It's hard to actually demonstrate any real-world health benefits from nut consumption. I think the closest they've come is having people eat a ton of walnuts.

Yeah aside from all the studies involving polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, which includes nuts. Of course plant fats (olive oil, avacado, flax, nuts, etc.) differ in their fatty profiles.

Moderation in all things though, except Soy. Soy is really just gay man spooge, and if you eat it, you'll become gay too, and then what would Jesus do?

Kirynos
04-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Soy Hater.

Grand Dragon of the Soy KKK.

I'm going to dress up as a soybean for halloween, and come get you.

:confuse:

Vxn
04-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Beef jerky. That's what real men eat.

Aindayen
04-19-2007, 07:55 AM
pics?

What is a Sugar Snap Pea for $1000.

Ain

Aindayen
04-19-2007, 07:57 AM

Beef Jerkey and Frozen Ice pops. It's what kept me going in EQ raids.

Ain

Ty!
04-19-2007, 10:39 AM
A food is made up of many parts. Just because one part is known to have a good effect, doesn't mean you should consume a lot of it. In order to really make a legit recommendation to eat a lot of something, you need a randomized double blind blah blah blah ... where you actually have people eat nuts, and look for the expected slight differences, not in outcomes like rate of dying from heart attack (you'd need too huge a study), but measuring levels of XYZ in the blood or fats or arteries.

My point was that there was a study where they did this w/ cashews, walnuts, and some others, and only saw any measurable effect with tons of walnuts (it took more cashews?). As in: the amount of calories you'd need to get a significant effect would be huge.

The reason you don't just leave it as "contains 7% goobersaturated fat so it must be good" is that there could be other stuff w/ a negative effect, and sometimes, it turns out that the good part identified isn't so bioavailable in isolation. For instance, cow's milk (and one assumes human's milk, but let's not go there) turns out to deliver calcium very effectively (except for the vitamin D thing which is added).

A good example might be those "chocolate/coffee/tea/red wine" is good for you stories that are so popular. They contain one chemical that has one good effect, and no measurement is actually made of all the food's effects.

Trem
04-19-2007, 03:11 PM
from 7-11's the ones in the open boxes!

Stacked
04-19-2007, 08:23 PM
All that matters is Money Shots help prevent osteoporosis in women.....or something like that....Who cares its scientific fact!

Kirynos
04-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Resveratrol is actually getting a bit more scientific backing, and some companies are considering creating a medication out of it.

http://www.symmetrydirect.com/usa/products/genesis_new.htm#

Ah nature, so little we know about you.

Ty!
04-20-2007, 03:14 PM
"biblical herbs" - wtf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol

Yet another "who knows" supplement. I figure I'll be a late adopter; if they're still raving about it in 3 years after more studies, great.

NormetheGnome
04-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Who Knew, that given the choice Andriana would go for nuts.

Andriana Duskrose
04-21-2007, 01:46 AM
Who Knew, that given the choice Andriana would go for nuts.

Actually if given the choice, I prefer calms and/or pink tacos.

Dakyras
04-21-2007, 03:17 AM
Actually if given the choice, I prefer calms and/or pink tacos.

He meant clams and he did point out that he preferred an animal part earlier. Another benefit from nuts is the natural cholesterol found in them is easily converted from a low density licoprotein to a high. If I recall correctly this actually helps facilitate arterial decongestion. Its tied to aerobic exercise somewhere though. Been too long since I have cared about nutritional science... I am on my feet all day and go running when i have free time. To me that = eating whatever i want.

Kirynos
04-21-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm on my feet all day too, especially when my target is a mobile and respected member in the public eye.