PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer gets Warhammered

Autellias
10-10-2007, 10:20 AM
http://kotaku.com/gaming/warhammered/mythic-puts-warhammer-online-beta-on-ice-308953.php

Beta is put on hold and the game is returned to Alpha, since its current player-base says that its just not as fun as World of Warcraft.

Sounds a lot like what happened to Vanguard.

IE: Fail, imo.
lol.

aed
10-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Actually, that's not the truth at all.

Reason it's being taken off beta is cause they've received piles upon piles of feedback, but need time to process the feedback without having to put resources on keeping the beta up and running. Not cause it's "not as fun as World of Warcraft".

/aed

Autellias
10-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Actually, that's not the truth at all.

Reason it's being taken off beta is cause they've received piles upon piles of feedback, but need time to process the feedback without having to put resources on keeping the beta up and running. Not cause it's "not as fun as World of Warcraft".

/aed

While this is true to an extent, it is what Mythic says and want you to believe. Doing some research, I read blogs and what not from people who broke their NDA. Most of them agree that the beta just isn't fun at all.
(While there are some arguements about it, that is pretty much the general consensus)

To each his own I suppose.

aed
10-10-2007, 11:53 AM
While this is true to an extent, it is what Mythic says and want you to believe. Doing some research, I read blogs and what not from people who broke their NDA. Most of them agree that the beta just isn't fun at all.
(While there are some arguements about it, that is pretty much the general consensus)

To each his own I suppose.

Sorta like WoW was in beta then?

=p

/aed

Autellias
10-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Sorta like WoW was in beta then?

=p

/aed

I actually enjoyed the WoW beta!
..as did a couple of my friends.

...then they broked it on release.

Andaas
10-10-2007, 01:22 PM
The WoW beta was fine, it certainly helped me in deciding what game I wanted to play after EQ. Regardless, I wouldn't say that Warhammer is in trouble due to shifting away from a full time beta system. In many ways, I can see it being helpful to development to learn what you can during a beta period; and then shut it down to focus fully on development for another 3-6 months.

I'd have to say that one of the biggest problems Vanguard ran into was the fact that they kept their beta running throughout the development process. Had Vanguard shut down beta for a month or two; it would have allowed the game to evolve between scheduled beta events. This would have been helpful by allowing the beta player base to see a broader range of changes between beta events; as well as more than likely increase the number of active players online at any given time due to limited beta access.

(Note: VG beta servers were offline a *lot* early on, but they were still online most of the week each week; which still took away from allowing people to see major vs. gradual change).

I personally think the bigger news of the day was the indefinite hold placed on Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising. That game was pre-sold with a late October release date a month ago, hehe. Oops!

Autellias
10-10-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm sure all this will in the end help them... but its just kinda loaded with irony imo.
Going by what some bloggers have said, they're taking it down to make it a little bit more WoW-like (among other things), whereas they originally said that their game will be nothing like it!