02-20-2008, 03:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyVX4ARBMkM

Working so far for me.

Lonskils
02-20-2008, 05:18 PM
hrmmm interesting!!

Zeyla
02-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Quite interesting indeed, I also found a MS knowledge base (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328890) article on this as well, seems legitimate... I'm going to do some latency testing at work and see if it makes that much difference. I'm guessing my home DSL will see a bigger boost... Will post my results.

Here is the process in text format:

1) Determine your IP (ipconfig or similar)
2) Run Regedit
3) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces
4) Determine which interface is for your IP. The correct interface will have a DhcpIPAddress set to your current IP.
5) Right-click on the interface and select New->DWORD
6) Set the name to TcpAckFrequency (case sensitive)
7) Set to a decimal value of "1"
8) Save
9) Restart your computer

Z

Ktul
02-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Yea I researched it too to see if it was a pseudo reduction or if it could cause vulnerability issues. The short is it's taking away some checks, that can hold up connectivity processes.

I used it last night in EQ and the difference was amazing. I had zero lag straffing with all particles on during a raid. I noticed a couple of spikes on spell cast where my bar would jump in a large chunk but the video had no lag. Weird shit. BTW I'm using cable.

Ktul
02-21-2008, 08:52 AM
btw you don't have to restart your computer....unless you don't have a clue what, where, or how to disable and enable your connection. Also when setting the value to '1' make sure its on Hexadecimal

Zeyla
02-21-2008, 11:28 AM
After some testing at work, my latency went from 135-160ms to 30-50ms, it actually did seem to respond faster, windows opened faster, NPC's etc. It will probably be more noticeable at home where i typically run 200-300ms.

Z

Peotr
02-21-2008, 01:41 PM
You can screw this up. I started to write a disseration explaining what is happening, but ... I realized it would be boring, and I stopped myself. Just be aware that a wrong edit could make your network unstable or even unusable.

He's using your current IP address to help you find the location in the Registry. The editing for this 'fix' is most likely to backfire on you if your computer is connected through a communal network using a single IP address behind a home/office router, or you are using a laptop that connects to the internet from many different locations. If your computer requests a 'local' IP address from the router and the router issues random IP numbers on request, you aren't guaranteed to get the same IP address every time.

This is especially true in wireless networks, since they are designed to smoothly accept and expire TCP/IP addresses.

Zeyla
02-21-2008, 03:00 PM
I works through a routed/firewall environment no problem. As for the DHCP IP address changing scenario, the setting stays tied to that particular interface, regardless if your IP address changes using fixed settings or DHCP. If you have a laptop that has wired and wireless connections you would have to put this setting in for both of them.

I was bored today at work and tested all this stuff out... yes, I know... I'm a geek. I was curious to see if it had any effect on network response time and our internal applications here...

Z

Lonskils
02-21-2008, 04:09 PM
same here and rebooting works best if you are behind a firewall on a shared IP etc

Ktul
02-21-2008, 09:35 PM
I was curious to see if it had any effect on network response time and our internal applications here...

Z

How'd that go?

Skaara
02-21-2008, 09:52 PM
seems to work for me.

Zeyla
02-21-2008, 10:14 PM
How'd that go?

I didn't do any real speed testing other than how did things "feel"... I didn't really see any difference on the LAN at all.

KripDiggler
02-22-2008, 04:11 PM
So I decided to try this. I cant figure out how to get to the run prompt in vista. It is not on the start menu.

Aerothas
02-22-2008, 06:12 PM
So I decided to try this. I cant figure out how to get to the run prompt in vista. It is not on the start menu.

When you open the start menu there should be a text box saying START SEARCH or something. I'm pretty sure you can get to regedit or cmd with that.

Lonskils
02-23-2008, 12:43 AM
right click start, go to properties, customize, find run, click run, click ok, click ok, left click start, click run

Andaas
02-23-2008, 03:41 AM

The "Start Search" box in Vista works the same as the run window.

Nexten
02-23-2008, 07:57 AM
am i going to have to do this on all the computers on my network or only on the machine i'm gaming on?

Ktul
02-23-2008, 09:13 AM
The video says it doesn't work on Vista. Was someone able to?

Andaas
02-23-2008, 05:49 PM
I was able to make the change on Vista, but can't confirm that it worked just yet.

Nexten
02-23-2008, 06:01 PM
I haven't had latency over 50ms since doing this on my xp machine

Mystrae
02-24-2008, 04:05 AM
works in vista 64 bit.. ping times dropped from 250 to 50 :eek:

Domathoine
02-24-2008, 06:12 PM
I've done this in Vista. I've run multiple speed tests since making the change.

I have seen NO performance increase.