PDA

View Full Version : Playing music in Vent

redeemus
05-06-2008, 08:23 AM
how does one go about doing so?

Peotr
05-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Jeez, I've wondered the same thing, but ...

I think if someone explained how to do it here, there would be even more unnecessary noise in guildchat than we have now.

-- Peotr

P.S. And that would be bad.

redeemus
05-06-2008, 08:52 AM
playing in vent forums this is what ive found thus far. It seems pretty straight forward.

Mr. Furious
07-26-2005, 10:38 AM
In the newest version there are some easier ways to do it. However, the configuration really depends on your sound card. Basically, what you can do is "mux" your sounds back into our output on vent.

Esentially - it works like this:
1) Open Ventrilo
2) Click "Setup"
3) On the Right-hand side of the screen in the "Voice" tab, you'll see a section called, "Hardware input mixer (option)" - in the Mixer dropdown box, select your soundcard.
4) In the "Mux" dropdown, choose "Recording Control"
5) In the "Line" dropdown, choose "What you hear" or "Stereo Mix" or basically some variation of that.
6) Adjust the "Line Volume" slider to about half (or 1/3)
7) Under the "Aplifiers" section, adjust the "inbound" slider to -10 (off)
Note: You're turning it off because you would rebroadcast what people say in the channel. This way you'll only be able to "broadcast" what you hear on your computer (i.e. wav files, mp3s, video game sounds, etc).
8) Make sure you enable a "Push to talk" hotkey - I'd recommend Left Control
9) Click OK
10) Go into your windows control panel and open the recording controls for your sound card. Make sure that whatever control you chose in step five is selected and that it has a volume no greater than about half.

NOTES: This does have some side effects you should be aware of.
a) You won't be able to speak while you're playing your music.
b) You'll have to "undo" these options to restore your ventrilo to normal operating mode
c) Make sure you write down your settings before you change them. I'm not responsible if you screw up your configuration.
d) With the Hotkey selected, you have to press it to broadcast. Sometimes having a hotkey like "LCONTROL" can make things like Windows Mediaplayer do different things when you try and launch some audio. I recommend starting the audio and then pressing your hotkey for broadcasting.

Good luck!
<HR>mtxed
07-26-2005, 03:51 PM

In the newest version there are some easier ways to do it. However, the configuration really depends on your sound card. Basically, what you can do is "mux" your sounds back into our output on vent.

Esentially - it works like this:
1) Open Ventrilo
2) Click "Setup"
3) On the Right-hand side of the screen in the "Voice" tab, you'll see a section called, "Hardware input mixer (option)" - in the Mixer dropdown box, select your soundcard.
4) In the "Mux" dropdown, choose "Recording Control"
5) In the "Line" dropdown, choose "What you hear" or "Stereo Mix" or basically some variation of that.
6) Adjust the "Line Volume" slider to about half (or 1/3)
7) Under the "Aplifiers" section, adjust the "inbound" slider to -10 (off)
Note: You're turning it off because you would rebroadcast what people say in the channel. This way you'll only be able to "broadcast" what you hear on your computer (i.e. wav files, mp3s, video game sounds, etc).
8) Make sure you enable a "Push to talk" hotkey - I'd recommend Left Control
9) Click OK
10) Go into your windows control panel and open the recording controls for your sound card. Make sure that whatever control you chose in step five is selected and that it has a volume no greater than about half.

NOTES: This does have some side effects you should be aware of.
a) You won't be able to speak while you're playing your music.
b) You'll have to "undo" these options to restore your ventrilo to normal operating mode
c) Make sure you write down your settings before you change them. I'm not responsible if you screw up your configuration.
d) With the Hotkey selected, you have to press it to broadcast. Sometimes having a hotkey like "LCONTROL" can make things like Windows Mediaplayer do different things when you try and launch some audio. I recommend starting the audio and then pressing your hotkey for broadcasting.

Good luck!
Why is Step 8 required? Wouldnt it be annoying to have to hold a button to stream music through Vent?

And if we wanted to switch back to being able to talk through the mic, can't we just make the Line Volume all the way to the left (off)? There's gotta be a simpler solution to switching between talking and streaming music.

<HR>

redeemus
05-06-2008, 08:53 AM
apprently it posted twice. Sorry about that

Lonskils
05-06-2008, 02:28 PM
First you need to set your mic to listen to what you hear. After that set a hot key and keep the key pressed down thats it