PDA

View Full Version : Song for 7 June 2008

Peotr
06-06-2008, 01:10 PM
I hate country.

Today's song: "What Did Love Ever Do To You (http://www.bagofmice.com/tunes/daily/7.6.08.mp3)" by Hank Williams III (from the album Risin' Outlaw, Curb Records, 1999).

I'm serious, I hate country, I can't fucking stand it. Big And Rich makes my nose bleed - everytime I hear "Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy" I want to kill someone. At close range. With a short-barreled shotgun. I have this huge anti-country barrier surrounding me, and it works sort of like a Holtzman shields from the Dune trilogy - you can slip a country song past my barrier, but you have to move it towards me very slowly. If you try to shoot it at me fast it'll just bounce off the surface, and I'll be like, "Haha, bastard, tried to kill me with some more of your shitty country music, eh? Well, we'll be having none of that! Someone hand me my shotgun."

Deep in my subconscious I know that most of my problem with country music is the culture. Because of this I try hard to keep an open mind and open ears, but hard as I try, I just can't escape the feeling that most country music has that overproduced sound, like a sugary imitation of what a record company thinks country should sound like. A redneck version of the Backstreet Boys, marketed to men with silly hats and uncomfortable shoes.

There is some country music that I really like. There are even country musicians that I admire, artists like Junior Brown, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson. Men with distinctive vocals and a rumbling, slurry story to tell. I do like some country for the power of the performers.

I also like some country because it flat-out rocks - because it rocks harder than most 'rock' acts understand how to rock. I like real honky-tonk - it's music thats made to get your feet movin, it's built for dancing and drinking beer and holding on to a fast-moving woman.

I hate country, but what I like, I like, and this song is fuckin' cool.

-- Peotr (The Normal Guy) ©™

P.S. Caveat:

P.P.S. If you haven't seen Hank Williams III in concert, he looks sort of like a homeless redneck meth addict.

P.P.P.S. When describing how he sings country, Williams said, "There's a sort of a drawl, and a definite yodel where you slip octaves. And while you try to keep it harmonious and melodic, you should also sing like you're trying to tease a dog into howling."

P.P.P.P.S. Krip, Nickelback may be bad, but it is not country.

Domathoine
06-06-2008, 01:19 PM
P.P.P.P.S. Krip, Nickelback may be bad, but it is not country.

You're right, it just may be worse.

KripDiggler
06-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Yee haw > Wahoo!

KripDiggler
06-07-2008, 01:17 PM
http://thinkexist.com/quotes/hank_williams_jr./