PDA

View Full Version : Song for 14 June 2008 [NSFW]

Peotr
06-14-2008, 06:57 AM
Neo Punk.

Today's Song: ::[NSFW]:: "I Went Out With A Hippy And Now I Love Everyone Except For Her (http://www.bagofmice.com/tunes/daily/14.6.08.mp3)" ::[NSFW]:: by Frenzal Rhomb (from the album Sans Souci, Fat Wreck Chords, 2003).

Referencing an earlier thread (Song for Today 16 May 2008, Black Flag's "TV Party") neo punk is a subset of the punk music scene, arriving in the early 1990s and incorporating a more light-hearted sound. Describing acts that arrived in the 1990s, 'neo punk' is not a true sound, per se, but is more a description of an era, with the four main punk eras being proto-punk (The Stooges, New York Dolls), punk (Ramones, Sex Pistols), post-punk (Birthday Party, Joy Division) and neo punk (Green Day, Blink-182.)

While all punk is characterized by fast, stripped-down songs, distorted guitar and a three-chord progression, the traditional punk is generally harder and darker, while neo punk is generally more humorous and melodic. Neo punk also spawned the 'pop punk' sound (or 'SoCal sound'), and most of the commercial punk acts fit into this category.

As a distinct sound pop punk became popular in the 1990s, but it has earlier roots. The Ramones' sound, while a major part of the early punk movement, could fit into the pop punk catagory; The Sex Pistols not so much. The Offspring, Green Day and Blink-182 are three successful commercial neo punk bands, and they form a good spectrum for comparing the punk sound: The Offspring has the hard, traditional sound, Blink-182 has the more melodic, goofy pop punk sound, and Green Day skirts between the two.

Although the punk movement has had commercial success most punk bands still fail to reach the mainstream. Frenzal Rhomb, an Australian band with 10 albums spanning a 13-year career, has been well known in the punk scene but mostly unknown on American radio. Their sound is friendly, but not their lyrics, and this usually keep them off the air. But how could you not like a band with song titles like "Stand Up & Be Cunted." "Ball Chef," and "All The Kids Are Having Kids"?

-- Peotr (The Normal Guy) ©™

P.S. Caveat: This music is copyrighted, and is available here solely for the purpose of discussion.

P.P.S. Australia has an amazing music scene, and I want to cover a lot more of the Oz groups. Some of the best music I've ever heard has come out of Australia.