PDA

View Full Version : Song for 17 June 2008

Peotr
06-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Song for 17 June 2008: "Painting By Chagall (http://www.bagofmice.com/tunes/daily/17.6.08.mp3)" by The Weepies (from the album Say I Am You, Nettwerk Records, 2006.)

Deb Talan and Steve Tannen, the husband/wife duo that make up The Weepies, will never be mistaken for a hard rock act, but it would be equally unfair to label them as strictly folk or easy listening. The Weepies' sound is both friendly and melancholy; sometimes it is somber, sometimes it is sweet. Although their songs often have a sad edge they are never treacly or false, a trick that most bands can't achieve without getting stuck in huge bullshit-swept emo drifts.

If you search for The Weepies on the internet you'll often find them linked to the folk music scene, and while both of them were veterans of the folk circuit before they met and morphed into The Weepies, neither of them were overtly folk in their sound. They are acoustic, yes, but the sound doesn't align to any particular catagory.

It is very .. relaxing, but never boring. I rarely endorse entire albums, but if you like this song I will say that their entire album is consistently good and is easily played in its entirety.

-- Peotr (The Normal Guy) ©™

P.S. Caveat: This music is copyrighted, and is provided here solely for the purpose of discussion.

P.P.S. I find her voice to be hypnotizing.

P.P.P.S. I also appreciate the fact that they play their own instruments and write their own material, something that is a bit of a gold standard for me. I hate almost all industry-manufactured female vocal acts, mostly because the sound is so .. corporate.

But I like Sheryl Crow, Jewel and Regina Spektor, probably because .. uh .. well, maybe because they actually write and perform their own fucking music.