PDA

View Full Version : Gemmi?

Andriana Duskrose
10-18-2008, 03:29 PM
I do not know if this is a rather poor form hoax of some kind, but this was apparently posted to the Crimson Tempest forums. I believe CT is her EQ2 guild.

"Hello everyone, this is Gemii's daughter.

I felt it necessary to inform you that my mom passed away last Tuesday. Even though you all knew each other only through a computer game, you were her friends, and she loved you guys very much.

Jennifer // Amrayia"

If it's a joke, I am not amused. I hope it isn't true.

Will anyone be able to find out more?

Ktul
10-18-2008, 03:44 PM
It's not a hoax man. CT is EQ1 guild....we never left . I posted about it in the Hoss EQ section already =(

Andriana Duskrose
10-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Damn... :(

Elkwood
10-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Wow that sucks. I saw a post on the old druzzil ro forums :(

Aerothas
10-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Oh my god... I had no idea she was sick. This is awful.

My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family.

Sleepie
10-18-2008, 05:50 PM
She was such a complete sweetheart, she will be missed.

My thoughts and prayers are with her, all her friends and family :(

Mystrae
10-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Ugh. I have a lot of respect for Gemmi. I have very fond memories of all the conversations we had, very sweet and very down to earth. I will miss her greatly.
:(

Aindayen
10-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Gemmi was a complete sweetheart. no matter what was going on she approached situations with the best attitude of just about anyone I've ever met in a game. She would do almost anything for people she barely knew.

Did she let anyone know she was sick or did this come about quickly?

Words cannot describe how bad this sucks.

Ain

Gheltire
10-18-2008, 09:15 PM
this is incredibly sad and out of nowhere. I havent really talked to many people of olde much but when I went back to EQ there in August, I shot her a PM to be retagged and damned if there wasn't a reply in less than an hr and I had my tag back that night

I cant remember ever once having an exchange with her that was anything less than nice and thoughtful, even though I was just some random bits of pixels that like many she had never ever met. I can never remember her losing her cool during anything. I never remember her being accidentally or intentionally involved in anything that would have brought about "guild drama" except as a defuse capacity.

A lot of people come and go out here on the web I guess...maybe you remember all of em maybe you don't. Gemii I remember and HOSS is less for the loss.

Kallaill
10-18-2008, 09:51 PM
That's awful, seems just a few weeks ago she was posting on the boards :(. She will truley be missed.

Phaera
10-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Ack. Damn, it really sucks to read something like that. :cry: RIP Gemmi, you were always a great asset in game, and in the real world.

Lonskils
10-19-2008, 12:07 AM
It is as if this is some kind of Nightmare I can't wake up from. I had no idea she had cancer, how is her daughter gonna move on from this, they were more like sisters and best friends. This is just so awful. Go with God Gemmi.

Grimthorn
10-19-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm really sorry to hear about this. Gemmi was always one of the nicest folks I ever got a chance to raid with, and even though there have been many years and miles since we last spoke, my heart goes out to her family.

-Grim

Andaas
10-19-2008, 12:20 PM
I've really been at a loss for words since I heard about this. Gemmi was one of the nicest people to have been in Hoss over the years, and she always thought of others before herself.

My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family.

:cry:

Maegwin
10-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Gemmi was one of those people who always made you feel included. It didn't matter if you were late to a raid, or if you were just a DPS class and they already had enough. She would go out of her way to make sure you could participate. It is such a rare quality in MMORPGs where most people will exclude you for the smallest things.

Gemmi, may you find a spot near the fire in the guild hall in the sky.

Varran
10-19-2008, 02:12 PM
I got a few more details about it, but still don't have a complete picture. She had been fighting cancer for a fair bit of time and the last treatments took a lot out of her, apparently too much.

I've been at a loss since I heard about it last night, just no idea what to say or feel. I know we all have a ton of stories about why Barbara was an amazing woman and how much she brought to each of us. For me she always took time out to keep me unstressed when I had something big coming up or when I was over tired from my daily life. She talked all the time about her daughter and how proud she was of her, and the stories she had about her made me think about what it really means to be a parent.

Nodd Oxide
10-19-2008, 05:24 PM
I cannot find the words for how I feel. Gemmi was truely a special person that I'll never forget.

Nexten
10-19-2008, 06:04 PM
I've been trying all day to think of something to say about all this and I just don't know how to express what i'm thinking. Gemmi was one of those genuinely great people in game and out. When I started playing EQ again 2ish years ago she would talk to me all the time to see how everything was going and then tell me what was going on in her life. I can't really grasp that she's gone..It's not fair

sendain
10-20-2008, 09:23 AM
"Gemii"

When I think of all the times we've shared
over the past 9 Years, from the silly stuff to the sad we shared
You've been the greatest friend to me in EverQuest and at time in yours and my personal life, through good times and through bad.
We loved to get crazy from time to time,
that's what friends are supposed to do
But when times get rough there is never a doubt that I can count on you.

We have the kind of friendship
that endures til the very end
Because I can't imagine my life without you- I will truly miss the phone calls we shared together on a weekly basis I think of you all the time and I regret not taking your phone call the last two times you tried.
My Best and Forever Friend Gemii

Buckey AKA Sendain :( :( :( :(

Bram
10-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Sendain just called me to let me know about Gemmi.

I, too, am at a loss for words. Gemmi took good care of me over the years. In 2002 I lost my job. Between the dotcom bust and 9/11, no one was hiring in Salt Lake. Graphic Design positions were paying less than half of what I was used to and only a few cents more than a local McDonald's. I couldn't pay rent and my regular bills on that wage. Gemmi and Sendain went out of their way to keep me sane. My EQ account was paid, some bills got taken care of. I was on the ragged edge. I'd sold pretty much everything I had except my computer by the end of March 2004. I was finally getting hits on jobs that I was applying for. I'd get two or three interviews and be 1 of 2 or 3 finalists. I was going to find something, I just didn't know if I would have a home when it happened. Gemmi paid my April rent. She took on Bram. May 5 of 2004 I was contacted by a company for a contract position. May 10 was my first day at the new project.

I survived 19 months without work. The total period of time was 22 months. I had a 3 month contract in there that ended rather suddenly as the client ran out of work for me. During that time Gemmi and Sendain kept me going. Thank you, Gemmi. Thank you, Sendain.

I last talked to Gemmi almost two years ago. Things got busy and I've slipped away from this board. Talas was in SLC for a couple years so I saw him from time to time but I didn't spend much time here because I wasn't involved with Hoss on WoW or anything in EQ.

Gemmi,

Thank you for all that you did. You have touched so many lives that you will never truly be gone.

Bram

Trazz
10-20-2008, 06:47 PM
=( I'm so sad right now..

Tarissa
10-20-2008, 08:35 PM
I don't know what to say :(

deezy
10-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Lons just told me... I'm stunned. Gemmi has been a wonderful person for as long as I've known her and a complete sweetheart. I feel so awful now because I promised her a few years ago to make a character portrait of her EQ toon holding the epic 2.0 weapon she had gotten. I started working on it right after she got it.. but never really finished it. I'm sure she would have loved it even if I had scribbled it in crayon... :(

Berae
10-21-2008, 11:57 AM
My condolences to Hoss-EQ, and Gemmi's family. Sorry to hear about this. :(

Lola
10-21-2008, 01:16 PM

depen
10-21-2008, 03:47 PM
I keep seeing sweetheart used in nearly every post, and that was also the first thing that came to mind when I was informed. She will be very missed by many people. I'm not sure that her family will ever read this, but I am sure that they know how many people's lives that Gemmi touched.

Angelie
10-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Gemmi: I first got to know her when I was multi boxing in AR during SoL (in Everquest). I was still part of Night Kids and she was one of the people who explained more of Hoss to me. I wouldn't have an elaborate family in the virtual world now without her kindness and generosity, both of her time and patience. I will surely miss her and all her stories about her baby girl and her progression towards college (not to mention her dog). I will surely miss her. My prayers are with her and her family. :Love:

renshin
10-22-2008, 12:50 PM
I will always remember all the times she helped me out in the guild and her patience when I asked nublet questions. Gemmi was a great officer and one of the best damm magician's in EQ.

I know she is in a better place away from the pain of cancer and I pray for her family.

Renshin

Syana
10-22-2008, 01:20 PM
You'll be missed, Arly.

Elidroth
10-24-2008, 07:45 AM
I really am stunned..

To me, Gemii represented the softer side of Hoss, the side that was the family aspect of such a driven, accomplished, experienced guild. It was this good natured, soft spoken, always friendly demeanor that led me to choose her character name for a spell line in EQ last year. When she saw these new spells, I got a PM from her right away expressing that it had brought a smile to her face, and that lately she needed that more than anything. I didn't press for more info, but it seems now I understand why, and it now brings a smile to my face knowing that perhaps I was able to make her happy even if only for a small moment in a very dark time.

Zobb
10-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Im so shocked right now, I had no idea she had progressive cancer.

Gemmi was like a mom in EQ Hoss. She represented the best of what we were. She was always happy to "see" you in game or IRC no matter how long it had been. I dont know what else to say, Im too stunned, except we will miss you Gemmi.

sendain
10-24-2008, 10:08 AM
I really am stunned..

To me, Gemii represented the softer side of Hoss, the side that was the family aspect of such a driven, accomplished, experienced guild. It was this good natured, soft spoken, always friendly demeanor that led me to choose her character name for a spell line in EQ last year. When she saw these new spells, I got a PM from her right away expressing that it had brought a smile to her face, and that lately she needed that more than anything. I didn't press for more info, but it seems now I understand why, and it now brings a smile to my face knowing that perhaps I was able to make her happy even if only for a small moment in a very dark time.

Elid Gemii and I talked about this all the time you just don't know how happy it had her feel pal :D and lots of our old guild members went out and got copy of the gemmi spell so not only did you make Gemii Happy Elid you made a LOT of People in EQ remeber her with the Spell. And this makes ME HAPPY

P.S. I sented her Ex-husband a Email about taking Max her Dog I hope to here from him soon.... I think this will make Gemii Happy

Kaludram
10-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Very sad news.

Gemmi was one of my first friends in EQ. She'd regale me for hours with tales of what she was doing with her friends as I sat around putzing in FM and eventually OT. She was always patient when I'd ask, "what's there", or "how do I get there", and even "you think I could solo there", though now I realize how silly and annoying those questions probably were.

I remember one time I died in Dreadlands right at the ZL from FM. I didn't know how, I just zoned in and died. I died again when I went back to get my body. Once more it happened, and I expressed my annoyance to her since we'd been chatting. She ran and boated (back when people still took the boats to FV) through several zones just to help me out, only to die herself. She then realized it was the dragon, Gorenaire. She then got a port back, and trained Gorenaire off as I recovered my body. She herself died doing it, but told me not to bother trying to help her as her friends would give her a hand as I was just too low.

Over the years I've missed those conversations, and always hoped somehow they'd happen again, but I never made the time I should have to reinitiate contact with her. I regret that and wish I'd had more fun times with her to look back on.

My condolences to her families, both in the real world and the digital. She'll always be one of the good things I remember about EQ.

Nexten
10-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Sendain, since you're in contact with Gemmi's family is there a way to point her daughter in this threads direction? It might be nice for her to see how much everyone really loved and misses Gemmi. It might mean something to her seeing how she was thought of by so many across different games.

Aindayen
10-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Lons just told me... I'm stunned. Gemmi has been a wonderful person for as long as I've known her and a complete sweetheart. I feel so awful now because I promised her a few years ago to make a character portrait of her EQ toon holding the epic 2.0 weapon she had gotten. I started working on it right after she got it.. but never really finished it. I'm sure she would have loved it even if I had scribbled it in crayon... :(

Maybe you could finish it now DZ, and we could incorporate it in the boards. I am uncertain how difficult that would be but a tribute to someone like Gemmi would be appropriate in my eyes.

These are only my thoughts, we'd need the powers to be to buy in, and tech guru's to work some magic.

Ain

Aelia
10-24-2008, 10:27 PM
One of the nicest people I ever met. :(

sendain
10-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Sendain, since you're in contact with Gemmi's family is there a way to point her daughter in this threads direction? It might be nice for her to see how much everyone really loved and misses Gemmi. It might mean something to her seeing how she was thought of by so many across different games.

Yes I'm sure she well love to but andy needs to change the password for her

Andaas
10-25-2008, 12:33 PM
I can set it to whatever; but this thread is on the public board so she can read some of it.

Zappo
10-25-2008, 03:43 PM
I tried writing something. And deleted it. This process froze me for awhile as I attempted to think up words to say. But I am at a loss for words…

Gemmi was a part of the Hoss community, and it is sad she is gone. I’m going out tonight and if someone asks what’s wrong, I won’t have an answer. It hurts that so few people are able understand how we feel and what Gemmi meant to us.

Gemmi will be truly missed.

Seraphina
10-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Though I really never got to know Gemmi well, I can recall how nice a person she always was. She will be missed and I am truly saddened about the news. I think this extended family of ours really opens all of us up to things like this. It happened with Brithrax and now with Gemmi. I guess it really shows that behind all these toons are real people and is a good reason for everyone to try and be more human.

Argonah
10-26-2008, 07:24 PM
I didn't know Gemmi half as well as I would have liked to, but even from the perspective of someone who could only call themselves an acquaintance, it's crystal clear that she was a shining light and a beautiful person.

The world is a poorer place without her.

Skaara
10-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Gemmi was always kind. The world would be a better place if everyone was a little more like her.