PDA

View Full Version : Help with Webservers

Angelie
11-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can direct me to a link for a good / cheap but secure webserver where I can upload files just for safe keeping. I have lots of photos that I want to make sure are safe in case my hard drives crash.

Andaas - which hosts do you subscribe to for the hoss website? They seem to be reliable enough :) From there on I can probably browse how much space (I'm guessing around 50 GB) I'll need...

Thanks in advanced!!

:love:

Angelie
11-17-2008, 12:50 PM
I read somewhere that Dreamhost.com is somewhat decent? Has anyone tried them before?

Aerothas
11-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Hossguild.org resides on a "Linode (http://www.linode.com)", a Linux Virtual Private Server. I just recently bought a Linode in Newark, NJ for personal/fun/boredom use. You can run whatever you want on it as long as you don't go over the CPU usage/bandwidth limit. Buying a server like this sorta requires *some* experience with the Linux environment though most tutorials can be found with google. :)

Andaas
11-17-2008, 01:37 PM
If you're just looking for cheap online storage, GoDaddy has a webserver plan that offers 150GB of space for $6.99/month. I use a GoDaddy server as the backup repository for the Hossguild website.

Argonah
11-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Hey,

Make sure you read the TOS for whoever you sign up for, I'm the CTO of a hosting company and we forbid using the account for backup purposes - this is pretty common.

Cheers,
Argo.

Angelie
11-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Nice advice Argo. At least GoDaddy is Andaas Green Flagged so I think I'll go on that route. Plus - can just create a dummy website and say that's your website saying "Hello world!" The rest of the "files" are not really back up but a staging ground since the website is still in its developmental stages :)

faulkner
11-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Ang, you asked for three things that don't go together. Pick two and decide. I chose cheap linux VM, I pay about $15/mnth for a linux instance with a few GB of storage down at iMountain near LA. Their main MySQL db has had tons of issues, I don't care since I don't really use it. The linux instance has run pretty much nonstop for a year or so now without issues.