PDA

View Full Version : Ok windows xp question

Mudderford
01-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Ok i wanna reboot my comp but i dont have my xp disks i have my key and my brothers disks. Any idea if it will work just trying to find out before i wipe my system clean and it wont let me reinstall :D

Andaas
01-12-2009, 12:02 PM
It sort of depends on the source of your XP registration key vs. the version of disks you are using for an install.

For example, if you have a Dell/HP or something, and your registration key is the OEM version registration key that came with your original computer, and your brothers XP version was a full-version of XP bought from a store, it won't work.

Also, if you had XP "Home" and your brother had XP "Professional", or XP Media Center Edition (MCE), again, it probably won't work.

If you both have OEM versions; or both have similar store-bought versions - you are probably ok.

Valdis
01-12-2009, 02:03 PM
You can always try and then call MS and tell them what happened and sometimes they will give you an unlock key as well. But it still should be the same lvl of windows no trying to install a Pro and activate with a Home.

Also I have been playing with Windows 7 all morning at work here and it's pretty nice.

Gheltire
01-12-2009, 02:28 PM
that call is automated now too

just choose "hard drive crash/replacement" when prompted

I've only had to speak with a human three or four times and that was a few years ago...everytime ive called recently, it's been that auto call

but yeah I think you at least need to have consistency in the pro-pro, home-home, media - media department...the service packs on the disks dont matter from what ive found (can redo it with an old xp disc with no SPs even if your newer version had sp1/2 on it)

And it wont matter if you have an HP and you have Dell discs...you will end up with proprietary junk for Dell on your HP but you can uninstall most of it np