PDA

View Full Version : Dollhouse

Domathoine
03-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Anyone watch this?

I wasn't sure what to think originally, but seeing as I *LOVED* Firefly, I stuck with it.

Thank god. Episode 6 turned this into another fantastic Wheddon show.

Elkwood
03-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Yea it was pretty slow going for the first few episodes. Lately its been getting better !

Hope the network renews for next season. I am very curious to see where it goes.

Aindayen
03-29-2009, 08:19 PM
It's hard to get wrapped into a character that essentially changes each show.

It has potential, but this may not make a season 2 in my eyes.

Ain

Domathoine
04-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Oh man!

It keeps getting better!

The twists and turns are well placed and actually strike home with the viewer who has been watching from the beginning. The bigger picture of just what the Dollhouse is and just how powerful of an entity it has become is fantastic.

Worth a watch, for those of you who aren't watching already.

Andaas
04-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I agree that it's getting better and more interesting each week.. but I'm worried that the punch of this series just came into the mix too late. After this far into a series (especially something created by Whedon), I'm simply not attached to any of the characters.

Echo/Caroline, even in her pre-Dollhouse existence, wasn't a character that I cared about (honestly, I like Echo more than Caroline).

FBI guy, is mildly interesting but after learning he's been "played" from the start I really don't know what to think about him (by the way, there's a leaked script of Whedon's original pilot episode that essentially booted up the series with pretty much all of the twists and turns that it's taken 8+ episodes to unravel; a much better introduction really).

Echo's keeper... I'm a little curious if he may be the man inside; but it's probably the emotionless boss-lady.

--

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the show, but I just don't feel that it delivers what I've come to expect from Whedon's previous series. Dollhouse doesn't compare to Firefly, Buffy, or Angel.

I've been far more entertained by the 2nd half of Heroes this season.

Domathoine
04-08-2009, 05:05 PM
IMO, Firefly > Dollhouse > Buffy = Angel, but I'm a weird one.

I'm fairly certain that there is no inside man... if you go back and watch that episode, the emotionless boss lady talks about watching the video feed of Echo multiple times all the way through. She was only out through that one assignment, so we can assume she saw Echo talk to FBI guy.

There are still twists and turns to be had and I particularly liked Ep 8 and the way it was handled. I'm wondering whether or not the call at the end is significant or more of them playing FBI guy.

Lonskils
04-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Buffy > all, how could anyone say a show thats been on for a few weeks is better than a show that was on for almost a decade and was one of the most creative shows of all time?

Domathoine
04-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I can say it because it is my personal opinion... Buffy just never struck a chord with me.

I could never get into the show, despite watching 2 seasons. If I can't get into it by then, what hope do I have?

Angel was similar, though that one perhaps hit a bit deeper.

Firefly and Dollhouse have both piqued my interest, despite their short run time.

Elkwood
04-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Bah doma u where still in grade school when buffy came out !!

Domathoine
04-11-2009, 12:00 PM
That doesn't mean I didn't have the smarts to go back and watch it as I grew older. ;-)

Also, I'm a little disappointed that Fox won't be showing the filmed 13th episode, claiming that the original pilot that was scraped (read: partially cannibalized) counts as one of the episodes. Oh well, the show is continuing to get better and we'll get 12 episodes of goodness...

The 13th episode *WILL* go to the DVD and my guess would be that it winds up hosted on teh intrawebz sometime too.

Andaas
04-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Have they already announced that it won't be renewed?

Domathoine
04-11-2009, 02:41 PM
No, they haven't gone that far.

They have stated that the show isn't doing well... I believe their term was "on its' last legs". Could mean anything... the show *has* been gaining in ratings (thank you, EP6), so maybe there is still hope.

Dollhouse beat out Terminator: Sarah Conor Chronicles on last week's episode (not last nights').

Nuuk
04-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Firefly > All other TV shows ever made... That is all

It has been better the last few episodes, but I still find myself not caring about any of the Characters. The networks always screw with Whedon to the point of messing things up. This show is missing what made Buffy and Angel so cool to watch.. Interesting characters and humor. It definately has the sexy thing going for it.

Elkwood
05-09-2009, 12:14 PM
The last episode of the season was pretty good. It was starting to build a good head of steam. I hope it gets a second season.

Aindayen
05-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Spoiler*****

Interesting that multiple brains can be downloaded at once. Does it switch randomly or when they need them. Interesting but I would think it'd make them mad.

I enjoyed this episode though as the series is getting better. The acting on Alpha being fake was very well done.

Ain

Domathoine
05-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Erm...

Hasn't it already proven that it makes them mad? At least, thats what I would think having watched any and all interactions involving Alpha and any of the footage with the multi-Echo...

I still love this series and I can't wait for the DVD release//next season(!!! I hope)

Aindayen
05-11-2009, 02:47 AM
I think one Alpha's personalities was "special", not him becoming such things. Just my 2cp though as i was doing 5 things while watching it.

Ain

Elkwood
05-12-2009, 10:44 AM
It didn't make them quite mad.

The way i read into it that your core being is not over wrote so to speak. So u could have set personalities down loaded but your core one would still color it. Alpha was a nut case so no matter what he had downloaded into him his pretension for being a serail murder was always their.

Its a very interesting premise to say the least. I think the tech for doing something like that is not far off as peeps think. Maybe less then 100 years even.

Though much shorter if some type of pressure is applied (war,major species threatening disaster)

Sabertootth
05-18-2009, 03:47 PM
CSI:Miami> all

because in miami they never close

and they always blame the victim

Elkwood
05-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Btw dollhouse gets a second season :)

Wonder if the unrealeased 13Th epsiode of season one will be shown before the start of the 2nd season

Andaas
05-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Btw dollhouse gets a second season :)

Wonder if the unrealeased 13Th epsiode of season one will be shown before the start of the 2nd season

Yes, on the DVD. :p

Angelie
05-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Prolly gonna be in the blu ray!!

Angelie
05-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Andaas thinks like meeeee

Andaas
05-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Of course it will be at The Pirate Bay about 2-3 weeks before the DVD/Blurray release.

Lonskils
05-19-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm not seeing bluray really offering much over what dvd's do for the price they are.

Andaas
05-19-2009, 05:14 PM
That's why I call them Blurray.

Upconverting DVD players give you a picture that most people would have trouble telling the difference if it was truly HD source.

Angelie
05-19-2009, 05:57 PM
WTF!! U guys think upcomvert DVD is almost the same as blu ray?! Wow!

Angelie
05-19-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm still at work. Wow Fing eh!

Lonskils
05-19-2009, 08:33 PM
WTF!! U guys think upcomvert DVD is almost the same as blu ray?! Wow!

For the cost of a converter and keeping all my DVDs and not having to buy bluerays, yep it sure as hell is close enough.

Angelie
05-19-2009, 09:22 PM
I guess - Top Gun (one of my favorite oldies - is night and day for me on Blu Ray even though it's the worst Blu Ray compared to DVD)

Aindayen
05-20-2009, 01:34 AM
Top Gun sold me my 1st surround system. Holy crap I loved that move cranked up :)

I swear to God when airplanes were leaving that carrier paintings would rattle off the wall!

Ain

Elkwood
05-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Takes a really high end tv and a great blueray for the average person to see the difference. For the most part not worth the gold!! er bucks

Talas
05-29-2009, 06:39 PM
I thought Dollhouse was great! I agree that it was slow-going at first, but I feel that it mostly paid off. I'm glad there is another season coming!

I think it was much more entertaining than Heroes Season 2! I am pretty much done with that show entirely - I keep on giving it fourth and fifth chances to be better, but I am always disappointed.

----------------------------
Bluray is great, but we are not in a hurry to buy a player until the price goes down even more. The economy (and Netflix) took a bit dent out of DVD sales, so I think it may be a while before Bluray prices drops to where we'd pick one up.

I think streaming HD Netflix on xbox360 seems like a very attractive alternative to owning a Bluray player and a bunch of expensive movies.

Allara
05-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Yeah, the problem is the lack of titles available on Netflix on-demand, and the low amount of those titles that are available in HD, and when they are in HD, they aren't at 1080p with lossless 7.1 surround.

As a PS3 fan, I'm lucky enough to get a Blu-ray player in the bundle. Probably wouldn't have bought a Blu-ray player on it's own. At ~$20 per movie, I'm not really seeing Blu-rays being that expensive, but maybe they are as compared to DVDs. But the quality is SO much better... no comparison... (but I do have that 60" 1080p HDTV with 7.1 surround).

Domathoine
05-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Another PS3 voucher here... by far my favorite current-gen console. Not sure what all the other huffies are smoking.

Wouldn't have bought a standalone blu-ray player either.

Andaas
08-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Bumping this thread as I recently watched the unaired pilot and unaired 13th episodes from the Season 1 DVD package and was curious what others thought of these.

I thought Whedon's original pilot was a much better launching platform for the show, and it did a much better job of introducing the Dollhouse and it's staff, the (probable) shadiness behind it, the FBI agent, and the three key "dolls".

Episode 13 however, was brilliant. I won't say anything here yet, but am curious what others think of it.

Domathoine
08-30-2009, 11:40 PM
I've been a slacker and haven't gone to buy the package to see it.

I've seen the new Season 2 posters and Im itching LIKE CRAZY for the show to get going again, though.

Lonskils
08-31-2009, 01:43 AM
Just go watch it on ninjavideo, they have every show and every season of everything that's been out in recent memory in divx.

Thlayli
08-31-2009, 03:08 PM
I haven't purchased the DVD's yet, so I haven't seen the unaired episode.

I am very curious ... Andaas, do tell!!

Andaas
10-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Anyone else watching season 2?

Elkwood
10-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Yep

The first one wasn't all that great. Hoping the second rocks !

Domathoine
10-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Of course!

The 13th "unaired" episode was also excellent. Can't turn me away from a great tv show!

Khael
10-13-2009, 04:48 AM
Some spoilers ahead for those who haven't kept up-to-date with current episodes... couldn't find any spoiler-tags or I'd use them!

They need to drive the story onwards a bit more instead of keeping it so episodic. They've managed it a bit with Echo remembering the different parts of herself, but they need to drive it further I think. She's gonna have to break away from the Dollhouse eventually, or this show is dead in the water.

Domathoine
10-14-2009, 01:57 PM
More spoilers, of course.

The unaired 13th episode shows exactly that... Echo existing outside of the Dollhouse. It's getting there, just taking its time.

One thing that is starting to agitate me a bit is that we're seeing less and less of the Dollhouse's incredible reach and power. It seemed like a lot of season 1 had the dollhouse do all kinds of things that really showed just what they were capable of... now it seems to be all about their lack of foresight or whatever. Dr. Sanders will have to come back soon as well, thats just too big of a hole to let slide...

I was talking with a friend about this the other day and it seems absolutely absurd that they've still got Echo as an active. Yes, there is an episode where Adelle explains that she accomplishes the client's wishes, just not always in the way they intend, but it would seem that a place built on such ridiculous protocols and measures would actually bench her to the attic...

Regardless, I really feel like we'll be seeing that the Dollhouse really does know about Echo's remembering//attempts to get out with Ballard, just like I believe they know Ballard's intent.

It is a little disappointing how little of a splash this show seems to be making, I really feel like its one of the better shows on tv.

Domathoine
11-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Died a little inside today.

Dollhouse canceled. :'(

Andaas
11-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Not really surprised, network meddling killed it in season 1.

Domathoine
11-11-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm not surprised either, just had higher hopes.

At least they are airing the rest of the episodes :-/

Beelzebubs
11-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Joss Whedon, the king of cancellation.

Thlayli
12-10-2009, 11:01 AM
I watched last week's double episode last night (on my DVR). It was pretty good. I liked the "dual Topher". And Summer Glau's character was creepy.

Even though the series is cancelled, the episodes are getting better.

Elkwood
12-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Yea i enjoyed the double episodes also. They had a really weak first couple of shows that seemed to have killed off the show :(

Thlayli
12-11-2009, 10:56 AM
The next 2 to three weeks will have double episodes like last week.

They are trying to finish the series before the next calendar year.

Elkwood
12-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Yea that doesnt shock me. I think they are done with the house of dolls. Just wanting to blow out all the episodes.

Domathoine
12-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Ok, for the first time in the shows' history, I'm a bit behind (4 episodes to be exact).

However, my jaw *literally* dropped (not the incorrect use of the word literally... like those dumb announcers do on TV. "The are LITEREALLY raising the rough in here, the crowd is so loud!" Idiots) during the middle of S2. Episode 5.

No other show has EVER made me do that. This show CONTINUES to be great.

Thlayli
12-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Dollhouse is getting good... just in time to not film any more episodes!

Talas
02-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I really liked the 13th episode from season 1 and the final episode of the series. We watched those in order, it was really good!

I am wondering, though, if Joss Whedon can make a show that doesn't involve zombies in some form or fashion?? I guess Dr. Horrible counts!!

Domathoine
02-02-2010, 08:35 PM
A phenomenal ending for a phenomenal show.

Lonskils
02-02-2010, 09:18 PM
The show sucked on many levels. I'm glad it is gone. Long live Family Guy!!!

Domathoine
02-02-2010, 09:25 PM
To each his own, but I haven't enjoyed a TV show since Firefly... perhaps ever!

Lonskils
02-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Is that the best you can do? pfft.

Domathoine
02-03-2010, 01:04 PM
What would you suggest that is better?

I've watched the first season of Dexter and it isn't bad, but I'm not particularly thrilled to find out what is next or keep watching. I hear it gets better though.