PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: hossguild.org Redirect to www.hossguild.org

Aerothas
05-19-2009, 02:24 PM
I bring this suggestion because some times people who link private threads from www.hossguild.org/forums/ to someone who is viewing from hossguld.org/forums/ (the difference is without the www hostname) it causes a problem with cookies and you have to "re" login.

I *THINK* this can fix that.

Place in .htaccess

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^hossguild\.org$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.hossguld.org/$1 [L,R=301]
</IfModule>

This will turn a hossguild.org request into a www.hossguild.org request with the rewrite.

This will however not fix a cookie problem with forums.hossguild.org cause its a different subdomain.

Andaas
05-19-2009, 04:09 PM
I'd rather it all use forums.hossguild.org .. have a fix for that?

Aerothas
05-19-2009, 05:05 PM
yeah, vegu. I'm still thinking.

Lonskils
05-19-2009, 05:16 PM
I just think you could take down the page you left at hossguild.org for hoss eq and move it to somewhere else and just start using that as the homepage again and bam its all fix!

Andaas
05-19-2009, 05:18 PM
This is more about the cookie relating to your forum session.

The forums reside on hossguild.org in the /forums subfolder; but I also have a subdomain of forums.hossguild.org (which is the preferred URL and the one the forums are supposed to use/redirect you to).

But since you can access the forums from either www.hossguild.org/forums or forums.hossguild.org - the cookie's get mixed up.

Lonskils
05-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Well that was my point. Why not just take one away put the information elsewhere on the one you keep and then just use the one. I think 5 years is long enough for one site to list our good bye post to eq on its front page isn't it? That way there is only one entry point for all Hoss period and there is no problem with cookies, right? Or am I over simplifying things here?

Andaas
05-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Well that was my point. Why not just take one away put the information elsewhere on the one you keep and then just use the one. I think 5 years is long enough for one site to list our good bye post to eq on its front page isn't it? That way there is only one entry point for all Hoss period and there is no problem with cookies, right? Or am I over simplifying things here?

While you're right about the goodbye post entry page... it doesn't have anything to do with the problem in this thread.

I could fix this by moving the forums out of /forums and hiding it someplace else on the site where Apache will only see it at forums.hossguild.org.

Lonskils
05-19-2009, 05:29 PM
I just though they were two different places to go to the same forums and saw that entry page goodbye post as one of them. That was why I even mentioned that goodbye post as I thought we could just move everything to there thus creating only 1 place of entry tot he forums and only one cookie needed.

Aniaa
05-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Looks like a good place for pl'ing since Fir and Lons are.

Aerothas
05-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Stop confusing me with your obfuscation, I'm trying to think dammit

Aerothas
05-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Something worth mentioning perhaps? From my reading about using this fucking apache mod_rewrite. Search engines might frown upon multiple instances of the same content (ie. hossguild.org/forums, www.hossguild.org/forums, forums.hossguild.org/).

After typing this I'm saying "who the fuck cares.". Just thought I'd mention it. Great. Now I'm PLing my post count.

Aniaa
05-19-2009, 05:53 PM
PL post b/c Aero is

Aerothas
05-19-2009, 05:53 PM
I could fix this by moving the forums out of /forums and hiding it someplace else on the site where Apache will only see it at forums.hossguild.org.

yeah. That's the easiest fix.

Aerothas
07-06-2009, 10:20 AM
here ya go buddy.

hossguild.org .htaccess

Redirect /forums http://forums.hossguild.org

Aerothas
07-06-2009, 04:17 PM
huzzah

Andaas
07-06-2009, 05:14 PM
It didn't work, I added redirects in html/php index pages.