PDA

View Full Version : The BEER poll

Tilea
02-12-2002, 11:51 AM
By popular demand, the beer poll! Not all of the aboved beers are ones I drink. I'm more of a shooter/mixed drinks gal. All beers are assumed to be brewed to Canadian standards where applicable :p

Oh, no light beers either, those aren't even beers.

Yuo can choose multiple beers on this one :) My picks were:

Labatt Blue (my favorite), Molson Canadian, Sleeman Honey Brown and Heineken

Lola
02-12-2002, 12:33 PM
Beer is icky =p

Karendra
02-12-2002, 12:44 PM
there are soo many good german beer sorts and none in in poll!!!!

Mkai
02-12-2002, 12:47 PM
Mmmm, Sleeman Honey Brown...
You forgot Richards Red (sp?) though.

Are Sleeman products available in the US?

M.

Nalr The Mighty
02-12-2002, 01:06 PM
Now this a poll I can relate to.

Nalr "dribble glass" Xufade

Tilea
02-12-2002, 01:07 PM
There's 200,000,000 beers in the world, I couldn't list all of them!

Eomer
02-12-2002, 01:10 PM
I don't think Sleeman's or however you spell it, is available outside Canada, or if it is, not too far away anyway.

And beer is great, god I love it. Nothing like a beer, a smoke, a bowl of popcorn or peanuts, 10 friends, and a good hockey game on a nice big screen :).

Forty
02-12-2002, 01:18 PM
Shiner Bock or Newcastle Brown Ale for me thank you. (Or any Bock really.)

Zarxen
02-12-2002, 01:26 PM
Just a simple Budweiser will suffice. and yes a big screen TV and some nachos. Mooshead beer is good if you want exotic Canadian.

Tilea
02-12-2002, 01:57 PM
I listed Newcastle Forty :) Althuogh I spelled it as two words. That's one of my favorite imports but very expensive here :(

Rika
02-12-2002, 02:32 PM
hmm id refine the poll.

List should be (no list is long enough there is about 23,000 produced beers in the world)

Trying to represent each region best i can with somewhat mainstream beer

Steinlager
Newcastle
Budweiser (eww)
Molson Ice
Chimay
rasputin
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
Red Stripe
Trois Pistoles or La Fin Du Monde (if you want canadian there is nothing better, even tho its Belgium style ales hehe)
Bass Ale
guiness
Sam Adams Lager
Ol St Nicks dark brew
Arrogant Bastard

im sure im forgetting some other good stuff but i dont feel like thinking about it right now

Buazag Bonesteel
02-12-2002, 02:41 PM
Red Stripe is maybe the worst beer I have ever had the misfortune of trying. Guinness is the own!

Bass Pale Ale
Becks Dark
Corona(with lime)
Killians Red
Moosehead
Warsteiner
Heineken

Those are my favorites off the top of my head :D

Rika
02-12-2002, 02:47 PM
red stripe i like
guiness, its ok, but if you want a real stout beer thats not all pansy try Old Rasputin, puts guiness to shame.

;)

Ramellron
02-12-2002, 02:50 PM
Of the specific beers listed on this poll, Heineken is winning! WTF?

Rika
02-12-2002, 02:50 PM
Oh.. btw The Guiness pub Draught that comes in the tall black cans, usually in 4 packs witht he nitrogen widget in the bottom is pretty good. And a trick i learned with them..

When you buy groceries get a 4 back of those and turn the cans out so the bar code of the can is exposed on all 4 sides, if the grocery lady is in a hurry she will scan it and it will hit the can barcode and only charge you for one beer hehe

Eomer
02-12-2002, 03:02 PM
In regards to the beer choices being all (or mostly) Canadian, well, of course! Tilea is a Canuck, and I personally only know a few of the better known American beers myself. Most of you guys proll couldn't name too many Canadian beers :).

Also, sometimes a beer that shares a common name in the two countries is actually a different beer. And sometimes beers with different names are the same beer. I heard that Molson Export in the states is basically Molson Canadian here. I haven't tasted Export, so I don't really know, at least not the American Export.

And Budweiser sucks. I don't know how anyone can drink that crap, it tastes about the same as Club, Big Bear, Colt 45, or any other cheap malt beer that comes in a 40.

Rika
02-12-2002, 03:09 PM
Actually ive done lots of research on beer, Ive worked making it etc.. . So im still into the subject just not up to date. I dont like to atually knock beers because most of the recipes are rather old and took along time to develop (YEARS). Budweiser is originally from belgium (as most beers find their roots. afterall Belgium > any other brewing country by leaps and bounds) , mass marketed here as an american beer, and made with the cheapest ingredients known to man. As for a poll id think it would be more interesting to list some beers for people to try that you have found to be really good.

(only recommend this stuff because most people don't get into beer so heavy that they can find anything outside mainstream, or they just won't have the taste for any of the more highly rated stuff)

For a Lager id recommend:

Steinlager

Darker Beer:

Newcastle Brown Ale

Stout:

Old Rasputin is nice

But yes there are tons of beer, most people just buy it to get drunk, that is where bud made its fame.

The people that actually drink them for taste go with something made on a much smaller scale. Well sort of, the tasty good beers on a smaller scale, but they number so many that its a shame to waste your beer drinking on the same old stuff all the time. But how can you help it when Arrogant Bastard is around, not much you can find better than this stuff!

Buazag Bonesteel
02-12-2002, 03:19 PM
Can't say as I've heard of Old Rasputin. I'll be on the lookout and give it a try.

Rika
02-12-2002, 03:22 PM
Rasputin is a seasonal beer only brewed in winter. Comes from No Cal i think and is an old Russian Imperial Stout recipe. Its like 10 percent alcohol and will own you if you slam them hehe. Even tho its made in season you can still get it year round in some places.

found a link

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/rasputin.html

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/

Bolien
02-12-2002, 03:43 PM
ADELSCOTT ALL THE WAY!!!

well, Franziskaner or Du Demon ( 12% alc ) kick ass too!

u should know them !!

Vinilaa
02-12-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Rika
but if you want a real stout bear thats not all pansy

Are we talking about beer here or Rhedd?

Zarune
02-12-2002, 04:21 PM
Kiss the Kilkenny!

Kilkenny Owns all!

Thank you come again!

Zarune Zak'Anon

da mana Cracker

Vinilaa
02-12-2002, 04:31 PM
Oh beers I like:

Guiness (of course!)
Blue Whale Ale (Pacific Coast brewery in Oakland, CA)
Gold Nectar Ale (Humbolt Brewing Co. Arcata, CA)
Spaten

Zangeif
02-12-2002, 04:32 PM
Does no one drink Killians?!?!? Whats wrong with you people :P

Sows McBuff
02-12-2002, 04:52 PM
bettah question zang, what's wrong wif you? O_o

Rika
02-12-2002, 05:06 PM
Killians Red is like budweiser as far as how its made, its a irish recipe made by coors brewing company, and like all mass marketed american beers its cheap and like water. hehe

But i sometimes like watered down beer, and Killians is not bad for a lower tier of beers.

Eliyahu
02-12-2002, 05:09 PM
Two Dogs

Rika
02-12-2002, 05:14 PM
Oh just remebered last time i went to louisianna, they had some beers from there that were decent

Abita Turbo Dog i think
and
Blackened Voodoo, hehe

http://www.ratebeer.com/

Notice Old rasputin is rated 11th overall out of 12k beers rated on that page hehe, that stuff owns, indeed, im off to get some now!

Daisiee
02-12-2002, 05:15 PM
The white trash beers of america such as:

1. Miller High Life (The champange of beers)
2. Bud Light / Miller Light
3. Beast (old milwakee's best)
4. Blue Ribbon

will suffice on wednesday, thursday, friday, and saturday =)

Daisiee

Zarxen
02-12-2002, 07:18 PM
Actually the Bud out here is different, as being bit stronger then the American version, and not quite as diluted, somewhat mild however.

Rika
08-13-2003, 03:48 AM
go to rehab you drunks! how can you make rational decisions about beer when your all wasted! Seek help and then come back and make quality beer ratings when your not all drunk.

aed
08-13-2003, 04:26 AM
Where's the "none" option?

/aed

Argonah
08-13-2003, 05:07 AM
Stella Artois or Carling Premier :\

Maelikki
08-13-2003, 06:02 AM
they are forcing us into drinking a lot !
ye no beer no alcohol :|

Shik
08-13-2003, 07:07 AM
i voted for fosters to support australia but i dont really drink it~
i guess i like corona , mexicano~~

Tilea
08-13-2003, 07:11 AM
Funny thing about Fosters is that NOBODY in Autralia drinks it, hehehe. Tuheys is popular down there I believe.

Hmmm... if I were to make a beer poll now it would be SO much different from this one. So much knowledge and wisdom I have gained since then.

Eomer
08-13-2003, 08:18 AM
Ah, you have progressed from "beer snob" to "beer nazi"?! :D

Andriana Duskrose
08-13-2003, 08:22 AM
Tilea is getting her PhD in Beerology. She just needs to defend her dissertation.

Shik
08-13-2003, 08:24 AM
speaking of "tuheys", look ive found a reason for all you guys to quit eq, LOOK HOW FUCKED UP I WAS??? i bought a fucking fridge for my fucking computer room, jesus what the fuck is that....

http://www.axg.net/rebellion/kk/camwhore/myfridge.jpg

Fhenix
08-13-2003, 10:56 AM
shik, i thought you were twelve!!!, ohh how time passes, you've grown up!! Hey man. Remember Nerox from old seekers? Hows it going?
-Fhenix

Fhenix
08-13-2003, 10:57 AM
shik, i thought you were twelve!!!, ohh how time passes, you've grown up!! Hey man. Remember Nerox from old seekers? Hows it going?
-Fhenix

Tilea
08-13-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Andriana Duskrose
Tilea is getting her PhD in Beerology. She just needs to defend her dissertation.

Gah, don't bring up stuff like that. I don't think I've ever been as nervous in my entire life as when I had to to the defense of my thesis.

I have a bar fridge in my bedroom... right near the head of my bed. I don't even need to get out of bed for a drink of water late at night. it rules.

Now that I think of it... since "Other" won this poll.. a new more comprehensive one is probably in order.

Kattoo Tacit
08-13-2003, 01:15 PM
Shiner Bock. Brewed in Shiner Texas.

Or, if cash is low then....

Lone Star, the national beer of Texas. $0.40 a can / $8 per 20pack.

Buazag Bonesteel
08-13-2003, 01:46 PM
I just drank my last St Ambroise.

/cry

Rika
08-13-2003, 04:27 PM
shiner bock =/ damn texans! I jsut dont see the attraction to shiner. Third rate beer. Yes I know.. im from texas but Id drink budweiser before anything from spoetzl brewery.

Buazag Bonesteel
08-13-2003, 07:47 PM
Your Shiner Bock is probably somewhat akin to our Utica Club.....and I wouldn't drink that if you paid me.

Auldian
08-13-2003, 11:24 PM
Black Butte Porter or Full Sail Ale depending on my mood. There's a chain of brew pubs in my area that have a Terminator Stout and a Hammerhead Ale that I enjoy when I'm out. PBR just doesn't cut it anymore~

nwinn
08-14-2003, 12:09 AM
Labatt's, Labatt's! But, only cause a friend of mine played on a local hockey team who was sponsored by Labatt's or something and we'd go just to shout Labatt's over and over, lol! :D ...we were like 4/10 people watching the game so, was hilarious cause we were all trashed. :D

Stitz
08-14-2003, 01:59 AM
wtf where is "Lapin Kulta" "Abro orginal" "Norrlands Guld" and "Carlsberg" ??

Coneba
08-14-2003, 08:05 AM
shush non-germans......

we are the beer nation :D

u forgot Warsteiner :cool:

HUGS

Tilea
08-14-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Buazag Bonesteel
I just drank my last St Ambroise.

/cry

brought some back from Montreal did ya? :)

Buazag Bonesteel
08-14-2003, 11:00 AM
Yesh....and having never tried it I played it safe and only brought back a 6-pack. Oh if I had only known.....I could have done a far better job of stocking up. Oh well....maybe I wouldn't enjoy it as much if I had had a huge supply.

And Warsteiner is pretty good too....although that might be partly because you can buy it in little mini kegs which I think is cool as hell ;)

Myztlee
08-18-2003, 01:15 PM
http://www.sydes.net/jokes/flash/beer.swf

sendain
08-19-2003, 12:22 PM
THIS IS FUCIN BULL SHIT "BUD" only got 14 Votes rofL

Buazag Bonesteel
08-19-2003, 01:17 PM
Bud is one of the nastiest, weakest, pisswater excuses for a beer that ever was. Mass production coupled with clever advertising does NOT make it a good drink. If the powers that be suddenly decided to start giving it away for free, I still wouldn't befoul my home or my taste buds with it.

On a side note....I am pleased and surprised that Guinness got the highest total outside of other which comprises every beer there is that isn't listed. I picked Guinness because it is the highest rated beer in my personal list that I can count on finding whenever I want it :p

Tilea
08-19-2003, 01:37 PM
/hug Buazag.

He speaks wisdom!

Eomer
08-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Heh, I agree on the Bud. And personally I don't mind a Guiness or two. After that it's too filling or something. But Guiness is probably one of the most over rated beers around. And not that it isn't good, it is. It's that nearly everyone will say they like Guiness, yet when it comes down to it, they will pick damn near any other beer on tap.

Riccee
08-21-2003, 08:02 PM
not really a beeeeer I dont think... but

Yaegermeister ownz u all :p

im with shik on beers tho, Corona w/lime is pretty good.

Myztlee
08-21-2003, 08:42 PM
Yaegermeister is the RL equivalent to being hit with Turgurs.

Eomer
08-22-2003, 10:25 AM
Anyone here had Magner's? Fuck is that good. It's not a beer, it's some sort of delicious cider. I haven't seen it in a store anywhere, just on tap at the bars with good beer selection.

Clavicus
08-24-2003, 08:05 PM
NW micros mostly (Fat Tire, McTarnahan's, etc), but most any non-Bud clone will work for me.

http://www.realbeer.com/

Canare1
08-25-2003, 04:51 AM
For the best there is, you all need to try some Michelob Ultra low carb stuff. It is the best.

Lots of taste

Tilea
08-25-2003, 07:24 AM
Yeah right I've seen how michelob ultra rates... no thanks! :p