PDA

View Full Version : College Football !!!!

Thlayli
08-31-2009, 03:19 PM
OK Folks... What are your predictions for this year?

Y'all know mine: Florida!!

Forty: I'm guessing you think Texas, but that's just a guess ;)

Sabertootth
08-31-2009, 05:58 PM
UT (Texas not Tennessee) is seeded as the number 2 team this year. So I would safely presume forty has a better shot than Florida. What is Florida, like 13th?

Thlayli
09-01-2009, 12:37 AM
UT (Texas not Tennessee) is seeded as the number 2 team this year. So I would safely presume forty has a better shot than Florida. What is Florida, like 13th?

hehe... you are funny :)

Florida Gators make preseason AP poll history with widest margin for No. 1 - ESPN@@AMEPARAM@@http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4415880@@AMEPARAM@@4415880 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4415865)

Sabertootth
09-01-2009, 07:02 PM
i still say
A&M
but that could just be me pulling for my team.....

Thlayli
09-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Gators ve Tennessee this weekend...

Will the Gators score 100?

Lonskils
09-18-2009, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't think tebow the Christian would do that, but the coach would in a heart beat.

Andriana Duskrose
09-22-2009, 06:13 PM
I think that team that gets the ball over that line the most is going to win it all this season!

Domathoine
11-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Bump for free mandriana love.

Angelie
11-05-2009, 08:56 AM
OMG!! Power Post count leveler thingy majigy!

Thlayli
11-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Go Gators!

At least it's on the topc!!

Angelie
11-06-2009, 02:31 PM
OMG Gators 7 Ultimate! :love:

Thlayli
11-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Gators vs Bama on Dec 5th!!!

Angelie
11-18-2009, 03:56 PM
So USC is where now in the standings? :) I work for UCLA so I don't care much but I guess since they're from So Cal I should at least pay attention :wink:

Thlayli
11-19-2009, 02:52 PM
USC fell to 18th in the BCS poll and 22nd in the AP poll.

UCLA huh?

Talas
11-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Too bad Utah got beat by TCU. At least there will be another MWC team in a BCS this year!

Thlayli
11-20-2009, 03:55 PM
I think both TCU and Boise State will make BCS games. And I think they deserve to be there too.

I really think it would be ashame to have two Big 10 schools in the BCS.

Thlayli
11-24-2009, 02:39 PM
This is the best time of the year for College Football... Rivalry Week!!!

Florida State vs Florida
Alabama vs Auburn
Pitt vs WVU
Texas vs Texas A&M
Georgia vs Georgia Tech
UCLA vs USC
Washington st. at Washington
Oregon vs Oregon St.
Clemson vs South Carolina
etc....

Thlayli
11-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Florida beat FSU
Georgia beat Georgia Tech
South Carolina beat Clemson

Georgia is a middle of the road SEC team as is South Carolina (both are 7-5) and they both beat the two ACC teams in the ACC Championship Game!!!

Don't ever doubt the SEC!

Elkwood
11-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Sec best conference from top to bottom this year for sure.

Thlayli
11-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Sec best conference from top to bottom this year for sure.

"...this year..." ???

Every year!!

Domathoine
11-30-2009, 07:31 PM
I've never understood conference loyalty in football.

In EVERY other sport, its the exact opposite... You root AGAINST the teams from your conference because they beat your team.

Thlayli
12-01-2009, 01:10 AM
I've never understood conference loyalty in football.

In EVERY other sport, its the exact opposite... You root AGAINST the teams from your conference because they beat your team.

It's more than Conference Loyalty, it's a pride in being the best and playing against the best. How can you call yourself a real Champion, if you haven't played the best that is out there?

I grew up in South Florida and played HS Football there. Every week you wanted to play against the best there is. You wanted your assignment to be against the best player on the opposing team.

And inthe SEC, it goes beyond Football. In 1994, when the Gators made it to the Basketball Final Four (and lost to Duke, I believe) they stuck around and rooted on Arkansas chanting SEC. Same thing happened in 2006 only it was LSU rooting on Florida.

Here is a great article on the competitiveness of Florida HS football players (Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps from UF and Noel Devine from West Virgina - but he played HS Football in Florida).
http://www.gatorcountry.com/football/article/the_fast_and_furious_rainey_vs_demps/4113 (http://www.gatorcountry.com/football/article/the_fast_and_furious_rainey_vs_demps/4113)

Elkwood
12-01-2009, 05:34 AM
"...this year..." ???

Every year!!

Yea this year :) Sec is generally pretty good but been a few years when it really sucked hind tit.

Right now i think Fla will destroy Texas and Ala will put tcu dick in the dirt so hard that they will be pissing dirt all the way thru 2012 :)

Thlayli
12-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Yea this year :) Sec is generally pretty good but been a few years when it really sucked hind tit.

Right now i think Fla will destroy Texas and Ala will put tcu dick in the dirt so hard that they will be pissing dirt all the way thru 2012 :)

Elk, my boy, I'd have to disagree with you on the "but been a few years when it really sucked hind tit." Which years?

The SEC has consistently put 5 teams in the top 25 over the last 10 years (though I believe last year, 2008, they only had 4). And in the 90's, it was pretty consistent to see three or four in the top 10.

Also, going back to 1992, the SEC has had 7 Mythical National Champions. That's 7 out of 17 (and the SEC lost two of the remaining ten Championship games in that time period).

So, I'd have to challenge your assessment of "but been a few years when it really sucked hind tit", at least regarding the last 17 years :)

Elkwood
12-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I am too lazy to search for the years where we get beat up.

Any way its all mute after Saturday when ala gonna roll right over your gators tail ! :)

Thlayli
12-02-2009, 11:10 AM
I am too lazy to search for the years where we get beat up.

Any way its all mute after Saturday when ala gonna roll right over your gators tail ! :)

It must be awfully comforting to live in such denial :)

Angelie
12-02-2009, 11:16 AM
:tongue:

Gheltire
12-02-2009, 08:00 PM
if alabama got a miracle win vs FL, UT would kill em because they can deny the run and have a whole lot more weapons than Auburn does to score with. You cant hit Julio if you cant passblock. UT would live in their backfield all night long.

if FL wins though, which I suspect, I really think it will be one of the great QB matchups in the last decade...maybe not Young/Leinart, but thats only great in hindsight and really only great for those last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter.

Tebow is a winner and I think he can will his team anywhere. Hard to stop that on paper.

And TCU can handle alabama. Ingram looked not only like dogmeat against Auburn (who has a sucky defense) but looked a little gimpy. TCU can score with the best of em, if Ingram is contained, Alabama cant. Again, would come down to Julio. But I dont think Mcelroy will be able to win with the load on his shoulders. Theyve proven to be unable to score in that mode all year.

as for the conference argument, SEC > Big 12. Football is about tradition, and if you dont picture northeastern Ivy league schools in your head or Notre Dame in the snow or something, youre thinking of LSU, Ole Miss, FL, Al, Aub, Tennessee, Miss State and the like. You might think Ark or Texas or OU, or even USC, or are a homer and know more about the specific history of your specific school...but nothing rivals the SEC in having 80k fans at even the crappiest school stadium.

And I'd take the SEC worst against the Big 12 worst anyday of the week if I had to pick:) If you judge a group by their weakest members, Vandy is still better than Baylor.

Sabertootth
12-02-2009, 08:20 PM
if FL wins though, which I suspect, I really think it will be one of the great QB matchups in the last decade..

ummmm did anyone watch the A&M UT game? Jerod Johnson was keeping up with McCoy all game if it wasnt for special teams A&M would have won that game. honestly McCoy is crap Vince young is a winer Tebow is a winner McCoy just has a good team around him.

if it comes down to FL vs Utexas then FL will rape/own/decimate however you want tosay it. the effect is exactly the same.

Thlayli
12-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Ghelt: I'm not so sure TCU can "handle" Alabama. Bama is good. And TCU definitely hasn't faced a defense like Bama's, ever.

Saber: I wouldn't dismiss McCoy's achievements as just having great players around him (which he does). He is a really good QB and with time in the pocket, will pick apart most defenses. Let's hope the Gators don't give him too much time inthat pocket ;)

As for this Saturdays game, I will be rootin' for Florida (of course) and I believe they will win. I think it will be a low scoring game, 21-13.

Anyone else have any predictions?

Elkwood
12-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Ok thlayli we are stomping on your tail !!! Should be a good 2nd half !

Elkwood
12-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Stomp, STOmp STOMP !! on the tail :)

Lonskils
12-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Dang Tebow crying like a bitch

Talas
12-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Omg, what's with the SEC self-love? Aside from Florida and Bama, you got nothing. LSU sucks...

PAC-10 really surprised me this year. They collectively had a great year. Oregon is a good team!

I can't believe Texas pulled out that win. I was almost wanting to see TCU in the championship - gotta respect the Mountain West. All you other punks get a default bid we have to earn our placement!! =P

Elkwood
12-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Fla going to absolutely kill TCU.

Going to be very interesting Texas against Bama.

Say what u want but this year top to bottom u the SEC is the best. I think the bowl series will bare this out.

Gheltire
12-06-2009, 05:49 PM
TCU can handle UT FL or Bama...top 5/6 in defense and scoring offense. And by handle I dont mean own or decimate, just match up and have a great potential to shutdown. TCU is legit.

Thlayli
12-07-2009, 02:59 AM
Elk: congrats!! Bama whooped us good. They deserve the title of SEC Champ. I'll be rootin' them on vs Texas (sorry 40).

Ghelt: I agree TCU is legit. However, I will say that in my humble opinion, if TCU played inthe SEC, they'd probably have two to three losses depending on who they played.

Now take take for what it says.. they'd probably be 9-3 in the SEC! That is pretty damned good. I just don't think they'd be 12-0.

Talas: Whether you believe this or not, the SEC is far and away the best college football conference. Other than UF and Bama, you ask ... Well South Carolina and Georgia beat the two teams in the ACC Championship game ... And those two SEC schools are 7-5.

Last year Ole Miss went up against Texas Tech in the Cotton Bowl and hammered them. we'll see how well the SEC does in bowl games this year.

And just because I like to stir a hornets nest ... If you took the SEC and played them against the Pac 10 (SEC #1 vs Pac 10 #1, SEC #2 vs Pac 10 #2 etc...) I'm not sure the Pac 10 wins more than 1 game (2 at the absolute most). And YES I watch the Pac 10. I have to, I live in Seattle.

Call it self love, call it undue praise, call it what ever you want. I've been watching college and pro football since I was knee high to a grasshopper in the 70's. I like to think I know a little about the subject :)

But that's just my opinion.. I could be wrong.

Elkwood
12-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Thanks Thalayli !! I will be rooting for fla when they kill Cincinnati !!

Its going to be a interesting bowl series for the sec for sure. They will have a lot of folks gunning for them.

Angelie
12-07-2009, 11:37 AM
So wait - who beat who?! Please fill me in!

Thlayli
12-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks Thalayli !! I will be rooting for fla when they kill Cincinnati !!

Its going to be a interesting bowl series for the sec for sure. They will have a lot of folks gunning for them.

I think it's interesting that Clemson goes against Kentucky and Tennessee goes against Va. Tech. On paper, the ACC should be favored in both those matches. I think Kentucky will have to play flawlessly to beat Clemson. Tennessee on the other hand can beat Va Tech. Especially with Monty Kiffin as the D-Coord. He's a mad genius!

It's going to be a heck of a bowl season. I still wish UF was playing Texas, but that's life. We got beat.

I'm interested to see TCU vs Boise St.

Talas
12-16-2009, 12:47 AM
TCU v. Boise State is crap. "BCS Busters" playing each other is so totally lame. What a stupid system!

Thlayli
12-16-2009, 10:40 AM
TCU v. Boise State is crap. "BCS Busters" playing each other is so totally lame. What a stupid system!

I agree. The system sucks. We need a playoff.

Elkwood
01-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Grats thlayli on your gators !! They totally owned Cincinnati !!!!!!

Thlayli
01-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Grats thlayli on your gators !! They totally owned Cincinnati !!!!!!

Danke... but all *I* did was watch the game. The Players and the coaches deserve the grats ;)

The BIG game is Thursday. I think Bama will be victorious. But Texas is a tough, tough team!

Good luck to both Bama and Texas. I hope Bama can keep the BCS title in the SEC family!

Sabertootth
01-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Being an Aggie i hate the longhorns.....
but, being from Texas i am obligated to cheer for them....
I am confused counseling would be helpful in this trying time.

Thlayli
01-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Being an Aggie i hate the longhorns.....
but, being from Texas i am obligated to cheer for them....
I am confused counseling would be helpful in this trying time.

Being a Gator I hate the Seminoles ...
Being from the state of Florida, I still hate the Seminoles and have only one obligation, which is to hate them.

No confusion for me.

Lonskils
01-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Colt McCoy is a pussy, yes there I said it.

Elkwood
01-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Naw he didn't really pull a Bo Jackson.

Given his potential contract from a nfl team i think erring on the side of cation was a smart thing to do

Talas
01-08-2010, 02:39 PM
It can't be easy, working your entire college career to get to the big game, and then to sit out. Really easy to armchair quarterback that decision, Lons..

Gilbert did really well, given the circumstances. I CANNOT believe UT's offensive coach thought it would be a good idea to try and get a Freshman quarterback to march down the field with 30 seconds to go in the first half!! He was incredibly conservative at first, and then that travesty! That was just awful play calling...

I bet everyone, Alabama included, was upset Colt wasn't in that game. It certainly wasn't the matchup we were all hoping for...