PDA

View Full Version : Home Networking...

Angelie
09-04-2009, 01:11 PM

So I just reformatted my friend's computer... Now my problem is re-integrating it to the network it formerly belonged to. It's nothing crazy insane - it's just all plugged into a cable modem/router.

I was wondering what setting I need to tweak so that the main computer can see the newly reformatted PC and so that the newly reformatted PC can see the rest of the computers in the network.

The main PC has the following IP Config:

Host Name: OFFICE1
Primary DNS Suffix: (blank)
Node Type: (Unknown)
IP Routing Enable: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No
DNS Suffix Search List: socal.rr.com

Physical Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
DHCP Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Address: 192.168.1.102 (the client PC is 192.168.1.101)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Subnet mask: 192.168.1.1
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: xxx.xx.xx.xx
DNS Servesr: xxx.xx.xx.xx

Both PCs are under the workgroup: MS HOME

Any advise would be appreciated. When I researched it - I saw something like going into the REGEDIT and changing the Node Type...but the main PC was always set to UNKNOWN ...

Networking gurus hLep!

Valdis
09-04-2009, 01:56 PM
What OS are we dealing with XP I assume? And have you already done the normal process for joining a PC to a workgroup?

Angelie
09-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Yup Win XP.

When I looked at the Computer Name - it was already under the workgroup: MS HOME. So I didn't really get a chance to "do the normal process for joining a PC to a workgroup."

So I thought it just joined it automatically for some reason. I know when I reformatted it, it was under the workgroup: WORKGROUP...but after I gave it to them, maybe when they tried to connect it to their internet and network - something happened and it's now under their workgroup: "MS HOME." I figured it was ok since the main PC was under "MS HOME" workgroup anyway....

Should I do something new/different?

Thanks again.

Valdis
09-04-2009, 02:15 PM
It sounds like it should be on their network. If you can get out to the internet you should be good. Do they want file and printer sharing on their workgroup? If so that option may be disabled and that could be causing an issue.

Angelie
09-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Yup - definitely file and printer sharing. The folders are already open for sharing and there is a network printer set up already ... I just can't see any of the other PCs nor can I ping them...

Kallaill
09-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Stick your "harddrive" in the "floppydrive" and it will work

Lonskils
09-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Just have the computer find the network and join it. They've made that stuff pretty stupid easy.

Wresh
09-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Yup - definitely file and printer sharing. The folders are already open for sharing and there is a network printer set up already ... I just can't see any of the other PCs nor can I ping them...

I've come across this problem before at one of our remote locations...

Not saying this is the issue of course, but in that case 2 of the computers were plugged directly into the modem (which had it's own router built in) and the other 2 were in the router itself. Normally you could still ping it, but the router was set to give out a different subnet mask than the modem to the computers connected to it....Different subnet mask, no talkie talkie between them.

Trazz
09-07-2009, 09:35 PM
If you're having issues seeing the other computer.. Turn the firewall off, or add the second computer to the list of exeptions.

Angelie
09-08-2009, 08:33 AM
I fixed it last week after realizing the main PC was running CA internet suit where the fire wall was super strict...Thanks for everyone's input. Adjusting the firewall settings on CA Intern Suite definitely did the trick :)

Kallaill
09-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm sure it was all my advice that helped the most