PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

Aerothas
10-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Anybody buy it/upgrade yet????

I have the release candidate on my netbook but it doesn't expire for a long time... I'm using Vista 32bit on my main computer (Vaio laptop). Just curious what your plans are I guess.

Thlayli
10-22-2009, 11:47 AM
I've been using 7 for over a 15 months and love it (it is sooo much better than vista).

I've had the RTM version for a few months and so far, all is going very well!

Allara
10-22-2009, 11:50 AM
I've been using RTM since it was released to MSDN last month. It runs like a charm on both desktops, my laptop, and even my little netbook (with full Aero). I highly, highly recommend it, especially if you run Vista. They really got a lot of things right, finally.

Sekigahara
10-22-2009, 12:47 PM
I just ordered my Win7 upgrade today, and apparently it's either not shipping or not arriving until Dec. 1st.

So I'm downloading the Ultimate x64 and I'm just going to use that until it arrives, whenever that is.

Andaas
10-22-2009, 01:11 PM
It's pretty funny when piracy is more convenient than a legitimate purchase.

And the MPAA/RIAA/whoever else wonders why it's so rampant. I can get (insert software/media) faster myself than going through the proper channels.

Allara
10-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Hmm, where'd you buy it? I can overnight it from Amazon right now if I wanted to.

Aerothas
10-22-2009, 03:17 PM
I was under the impression that you could buy&download Windows 7 legitimately(?). And even if you go the piracy way you can digitally buy the CD key from Microsoft so you can run it all well and good.

Zeyla
10-22-2009, 03:32 PM
I bought copies for my home PC's back in July when they had the Home Premium upgrade version for $50/each. Came with free overnight shipping to boot, just got the copies dropped off today! I'm running the RC on my home systems now so will probably have to do a reinstall to use the Home Premium version I paid for. I don't think you can "Upgrade" from the RC to a retail version. Thlalyi might be able to confirm... Regardless the RC is good until next spring, so I'm in no huge hurry.

Z

Peotr
10-22-2009, 03:33 PM
I've been looking at the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade family pack - it's only $149.00 to upgrade 3 computers to Windows 7 Home Premium (64 or 32).

My only problem is:

1. It won't upgrade a copy of Windows XP. Not even a retail copy. Not even a retail 64-bit XP Ultimate. It has to be a copy of Windows Vista.

2. Apparently there is some question on whether you can upgrade Windows Vista Ultimate with a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade.

3. I only own two copies of Windows Vista, and both are OEM copies. And there is still further questions on whether you can use an OEM copy of Windows Vista, or even if you can use a used retail copy you buy on eBay for the @$#@%* fucking upgrade.

It looks like a great offer, but people are shouting on the web about problems getting activated if you aren't the original purchaser of a retail copy of Windows Vista.

Edit: And apparently the Microsoft literature doesn't say a thing about what type of licenses qualify for the upgrade.

Zeyla
10-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I heard about the family pack after I bough my copies. Glad I didn't go that route! The regular Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade will work with any previous version of XP or Vista (that's what is says on the box at least)

Stosh
10-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Peotr,

Aren't you still affiliated with a university?

http://www.win741.com/

Sekigahara
10-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Hmm, where'd you buy it? I can overnight it from Amazon right now if I wanted to.

I bought Vista Pro x64 a while back and I had the free upgrade option. I just put in the information for Microsoft to send me my upgrade via mail. I don't think it's possible to redeem the upgrade and download it/get your key online.

Peotr
10-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Peotr,

My university is a member of MSDNAA - as such, our students get their copies Windows for free, provided that the university verifies them as a paid student.

And I am not a student, nor am I faculty, and when I left I wasn't even an educational developer. I was an administrative developer, which for many types of software means you pay full price.

Now my official status is retired, and since I'm not retired faculty Microsoft doesn't recognize me for anything. :(

I are teh poor. I used to have dozens of computers running in my apartment, I used to have all the latest development software. Now I have to save for several months to buy an upgrade copy of Windows 7. I've had to forget about keeping Visual Studio, Office, SQL Server, Windows Server, etc., etc. My whole software suite is UEStudio, Adobe CS4 for Web Developers, and ... uh ... World of Warcraft.

Stosh
10-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Blah blah blah, do you have an .edu email address or not?

Gheltire
10-22-2009, 04:48 PM
I upgraded from XP by doing the external HD approach. I had just setup this XP box and didnt want to fiddle with all my drivers again. I had to download the xfr cable program they have (this is my old computer, this is my new computer etc) and it worked like a charm

It left me a windows.old directory which was fully browsable in the new explorer so I could go get anything I forgot.

My only BLAH part is the directory structure in XP is different than 7 as far as its now /Users/name/documents... so when I migrated my itunes folders it doubled em up on everything homebrewed. If it was in the purchased directory it didnt but /mymusic did. Easy to org by add date and wipe the doubles though so not too bad

Im loving it and even downloaded about 20 licenses right after the RC download stopped (where you could still obtain MS licenses via the MS page )and have put it on about 10 machines so far. I'll pay for em later:P

Peotr
10-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Blah blah blah, do you have an .edu email address or not?

No. =|

As a retiree I have an Idaho Vandals .com email address (which I do not use). Because I was a system administrator my uidaho.edu email address went into 'storage' and cannot be removed or deleted by the university until 2015 (fucking Idaho Waterplace investigation...)

But that doesn't matter because my Vandal ID is what they use for verification if I'm not a registered, paying student, and my Vandal ID says 'Retired Staff'.

Aerothas
10-22-2009, 04:56 PM
I've had to forget about keeping Visual Studio, Office, SQL Server, Windows Server, etc., etc.
Pirate Bay broseph (I have VS2005 and Office 2007 images if you need). Although I'm not sure about Windows Server/SQL... But theres always Linux and mySQL!

Peotr
10-22-2009, 05:03 PM
But theres always Linux and mySQL!

I love them both. :)

I'm just a whiner - I'm used to having all these computers running and at my fingertips. I don't like to talk with people about implementing stuff if I haven't tried it out on my systems at home and have at least a general idea of what I'm talking about.

Lonskils
10-22-2009, 06:22 PM
I still have my .edu address as a student yay!

Domathoine
10-22-2009, 06:23 PM
I'd love to upgrade to Win 7 64bit, but I don't have the available funds until next month.

Besides, my Vista isn't treating me THAT badly.

Lonskils
10-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Doma, you still have your college email. You can get home premium for 29.99

Domathoine
11-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Just upgraded to professional for a cool $30.

In the process of tweaking and learning the differences... but so far I'm excited!

Thlayli
12-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Home Premium for 30 bucks is cheaper than I can get it.

Octavus
12-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Peotr,

Eff me. I wish I had seen this earlier... I think I still have my .edu routing to my hotmail account. Even if I haven't been a student since '03...

Domathoine
12-01-2009, 03:08 PM
It may not be too late, Oct.

Since you didn't order the machine assembled, Win7 won't be registered or even open. You might be able to return it and save some money.

Octavus
12-01-2009, 05:27 PM
You're right, Ill see if I can get that deal then.