PDA

View Full Version : Borderlands

tehbighead
10-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Jensen from DAoC [Galahad], Glub from WoW [Uther] here. Anyone else planning on picking up Borderlands for the PC? Ordered it through Amazon due to a timed credit, but I'll be activating it on Steam - username t3hbighead.

Kurbi
10-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Glub! you drunk! its Murkin[Uther]. How the hell you doing?

Havent heard of that game, i'll google it.

Gheltire
10-25-2009, 09:48 AM
its a blast

Domathoine
10-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Its supposedly Diablo with guns. (A younger person tried to describe it as a multiplayer fallout 3. The generational gap forced me to facepalm).

Parak
10-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Its supposedly multiplayer Wasteland. (A younger person tried to describe it as Diablo with guns. The generational gap forced me to facepalm).

Domathoine
10-25-2009, 09:02 PM
I see what you did thar...

The two do seem pretty familiar...

Peotr
10-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Its supposedly a lighthearted Left 4 Dead with loot. (A younger person tried to describe it as a science fiction first-person shooter RPG. The generational gap made me want to shove his XBox controller up his ass and then ask him to show me how easy it is to beat Resident Evil 5).

tehbighead
10-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Hahaha. Hey Murkin! I'm good, not playing any MMOs currently, but I'm eyeballing Guild Wars 2 and SW:TOR. How've you been? If Amazon hasn't shipped my preorder by this evening, I'm cancelling and dl'ing the game on Steam. Who all is playing?

Gheltire
10-26-2009, 03:03 PM
left for dead has a lot more yelling at your teammates over the XBL chat than this does. Theres a little more strategy to this than advance and survive.

Im trying to think what it compares to, and its a ratkiller, but coop. So far I havent seen "rare" spawns but there are enough bosses and minibosses through the course of the night to make you feel that "ooh whats it drop?!" feeling...so thats in the WoW sense more than the EQ sense I guess.

The diablo comparison is fair, as you tree your class skills to make 3 subclasses of each main class. And then you will find gear/class mods that further define you as that subclass. But it's not charge into the demon pits and wipe out the succubi for 10 minutes and then click X until you get the full message. It's loot oriented, but so far I havent seen any purple drops that were not from bosses (and the same ones each fight). We did get an orange class mod drop though.

Veruca/Myst does a chest run on one map. But I think every game has that mentality now.

Honestly if you took what you might picture of a mad max world with EQ/WoW/Diablo and a sniper rifle, you have your game. Most of the mechanics are there to remind you, but enough are not present to make you "miss" them. You get to see what your buddy loots. But you cant click on anything to check stats. If your mic isnt working you have to dance around to let your friend know he can grab that gun you dont want it.

But I do feel that if this were a game in a world with 100000 of us running around, I would have seen myself paying the 10/month like I did EQ to play it. Last night I had a storm come up and knock me off XBL. I was worried that Veruca couldnt get in now, and I was gonna die against a larger mob solo. Then I remembered I was on a console. Thats kindof how good it is at drawing you in with some familiar MMORPG presentations.

Domathoine
10-26-2009, 03:20 PM
That good eh? I might have to check it out, though I think I'd prefer PC to console...

But alas, I'll wait til it goes on sale on steam before I do any snooping.

Maegwin
10-28-2009, 10:16 AM
I have a coworker who says he's addicted to it right now. I looked over the website, and it looks pretty fun anyways.

How are the controls and physics? Is it more like Fallout 3 or is it more FPS like?

Domathoine
10-28-2009, 11:20 AM
It's an actual FPS.

Apparently, the PC version has no copyright protection... not that I'm going to do anything with that knowledge, mind you.

Mystrae
10-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Basically it's an FPS that has a very diabloesque feel to it when it comes to getting that set of loot for the skill tree / build you're building. Nothing is overly hard about the game, areas are level specific (you can grind up levels and go back to areas that gave you trouble). Lower level mobs can swarm kill you, higher level mobs can be killed just be ready to take turns with your partner to go back to town for ammo runs ;P. One thing I did find interesting in this game is bullet travel time so you DO need to lead your target depending on how far away they are (makes sniping both challenging and frustrating).

Wasteland was the game that got me into video games and the environment just reminds me of that game a lot.

I'm mainly playing this game for the co-op, I've played all the classes to some degree and they're all pretty fun to run around with.

There are some pretty decent bugs in the game I heard, but luckly I haven't run into any yet ;)

Gheltire
10-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Im in New Haven now. First time to play since the storm was tonight. Ill be playing tomorrow night Veruca if you havent already blown the next couple bosses away

Mystrae
10-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Haven't really been playing through the story, been waiting up for you and cyrendel to get some time ;P

Domathoine
10-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Picked this up tonight... Put about an hour and a half in.

I can't really decide if this game is for me or not... I like the look, the idea, and the gameplay isn't bad, but the mechanics to really compare the numerous guns as well as switch them in and out quickly just doesn't quite cut it.

I'm going to give it some more time before I really decide, and I'd like to try out some online play at some point...

Mudderford
11-02-2009, 02:49 AM
This game is killing my wow time really bad lol.

Mystrae
11-02-2009, 07:07 AM
Picked this up tonight... Put about an hour and a half in.

I can't really decide if this game is for me or not... I like the look, the idea, and the gameplay isn't bad, but the mechanics to really compare the numerous guns as well as switch them in and out quickly just doesn't quite cut it.

I'm going to give it some more time before I really decide, and I'd like to try out some online play at some point...

You're not going to really notice a difference in guns til later. You'll eventually get 4 hot swap gun slots and you'll eventually want different guns for different situations especially in multiplayer where the monsters have a ton more shields/health. Honestly playing single player is rather easy and I don't really think the type of gun matters as much, maybe on the 2nd playthrough where mobs start getting elemental resists and such it'll matter more solo.

Basically multiplayer is where this game shines.. I'd have a much more meh opinion if this was a single player only game.

Domathoine
11-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Well fudge maybe I need to hit up some multiplayer then...

I'm ~ level 11 now... still doing pretty lame quests but there have been a few interesting ones. Finally got to ride around in the vehicle and squash stuff, I really enjoyed that. I'm up to 3 gun slots so I've got something for every situation in each of those...

I'm still taking the game too slow, I think. I prefer sitting back and actually aiming with the reticle as opposed to running in with my smg and just annihilating stuff. Oh well... I'm willing to dig deeper, so it can't be all bad, right?

Widespreadd Panic
11-02-2009, 08:20 PM
I was playing it a lot a few weeks ago. Found the berserker and sniper fun. Ever since I got CoD MW2 though I havent touched it =/

Domathoine
11-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm up to 16ish now...

The fetch quests are annoying. Why do they put coordinates into your HUD if they aren't even correct? I killed the roid-raging boss in the "Safe Haven" or whatever... but couldn't find the clap trap repair kit.

How do I access the 4th gun slot? Is there a bank or storage anywhere? I'd like to save some of these guns for later ...

Widespreadd Panic
11-02-2009, 08:36 PM
You have to go back the way you came after killing the boss, then there is a new door that is opened that you could not go in before. Its through there and then upstairs.

Domathoine
11-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Found it and the one in the crystal mine place... Up to level 20, still don't have my 4th gun slot. How do I get that?

Still would like to know whether or not there is a bank.. seems a shame to just trash some of these guns that I might enjoy toying around with later on.

Hoping one of my friends picks this up soon... had fun with it so far. The bosses have been rough.

Domathoine
11-04-2009, 02:04 AM
Free bump.

Obviously put some more time in today (multiple posts didn't clue that in already...) ... Opened up the warps, which makes quests nicer by far. Still looking for a way to store items rather than keeping them in the inventory. Also would like my 4th gun slot...

Abused the hell out of a chest right on top of Lucky's building. Easy money and basically upgraded every type of weapon I usually carry around in about 15 minutes. Win-win.