PDA

View Full Version : PS3 on a Monitor?

Domathoine
11-03-2009, 07:10 PM
As the thread states, I'm looking to actually see my PS3's full graphical capabilities on my monitor (shitty tv ftl...).

Is this even do-able with something like this? http://www.optimization-world.com/details/prodid/9.html Thats a HDMI -> DVI converter... would that work?

Would be pretty freaking awesome to play my PS3 on my monitor.

Aerothas
11-03-2009, 08:22 PM
$2 less and 4 feet further and also free shipping: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189057

Why wouldn't it work?

Allara
11-03-2009, 09:18 PM
It'll work but not to play blu rays (due to probable lack of HDCP). You also obviously won't get sound over the cable, but I think the PS3 has a separate audio output if you need it.

Wresh
11-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Ya, it has an optical out if you have a reciever.

Domathoine
11-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Wait what?

Why wouldnt that transmit the audio? Also, I know my graphics card is HDCP capable, but I'm not sure about my monitor... I can't seem to find anything in any of the specification documents that would allude to something like that.

**EDIT** Both my graphics card and my monitor are HDCP compatible.

Allara
11-03-2009, 11:18 PM
The DVI cable standard doesn't transmit audio. I'm not 100% if your HDMI to DVI adapter will keep the HDCP intact, but I think it's supposed to.

Domathoine
11-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Ahh, that makes sense.

If it didn't keep the HDCP intact, that would be major suckage.

**EDIT**

The one arrow link does indeed keep HDCP intact.

**END EDIT**

With that in mind, what kind of cord would I need to use to hook it up to my speakers?

PS:

Allara: I do not approve of your ridiculously high post-per-day count. It rivals mine from back in the day...

Allara
11-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Hmm, I'm reading something about using the "TDMS channel" to transmit audio over DVI to compatible displays -- whatever that means. I'm not sure if your devices would support that, though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

I'd have to go look at my PS3, but I assume it has a TOSLINK optical output. I'm not sure if it also has stereo RCA. Either one of those would work if you're going into a receiver (I doubt your monitor has a separate audio input), but you'd only get surround support from the TOSLINK, and then only 5.1.

Hehe, 4.86 per day is a lot?

Domathoine
11-04-2009, 02:00 AM
Around these boards it is ;-)

Yea, I'm not going into a reciever... just a standard base for a set of dual speakers (read: sub). I'm thinking I'd have to swap out the line that my PC audio uses when I want to listen to whatever my PS3 is using, but that doesn't sound so terrible if thats all it is going to take.

TOSLINK optical out looks like the winner, but I'd need a TOSLINK -> TRS, if such a thing exists.

Research time!

gukaistar
11-04-2009, 09:27 AM
I tried this with my ps3 , hdmi -> dvi, and a 22" monitor and it did not work. I don't know if it's all those cables but mine was not bi-directional. Something to double check before ordering your cable fo' sho.