PDA

View Full Version : To you Swedes out there

Tilea
02-15-2002, 07:11 AM
Tonight your hockey team has the misfortune of having to play team Canada. You're goin DOWN!!!

Eomer
02-15-2002, 08:02 AM
What time are they showing the game on CBC? I forgot to check this morning, I need to know when to skip out on work early!

Tilea
02-15-2002, 08:21 AM
6pm, EST :)

Vestax
02-15-2002, 09:25 AM
erm PLEASE Beat those Swedes.... Reason? Aedail Says english women are ugly ........ :mad:

Hogre > all

Eomer
02-15-2002, 09:32 AM
Hmm, I heard someoen say that they were showing it at 5:30MDT in Edmonton... so it wouldn't be live, cause I know for a fact that the game is at 4:00pm mdt.

I think the person who told me 5:30 is on crack.

God I can't wait, and I hope the Swedes play that Torpedo strat they have been talking about, should make for an interesting game.

Tilea
02-15-2002, 09:46 AM
The time I read in a Toronto based paper today said 6pm

Eomer
02-15-2002, 10:53 AM
Yea, the game is at 4pm MDT, I know that. But a friend said that he heard it was being aired at 5:30 here. I was thinking that it was maybe possible, maybe they were going to delay it so everyone could see it. But now that I thought about it, there is no way they would delay the showing, it would ruin the game cause you would still hear from everyone what the real score was.

God, I CAN'T WAIT IT'S GOING TO BE SO GOOD.

Although I dunno if Canada can go for the gold or not, we shall see. It's in the air between Russia, Canada, and Dominic Hasek (yes, he can win the tournament on his own).

I just hope Cujo gets hot, cause good god, when he is on fire, he is incredible. You should have seen the ridiculous saves he made when the Oilers beat Dallas in the first round 4years ago, and also when we beat Colorado three years ago. Cujo won the series, simple as that. If he gets hot, Canada has a real shot at it.

Tilea
02-15-2002, 11:21 AM
I was disappointed that Patrick Roy decided to not play for the team :( Canada always has a shot at winning the gold. In the last olympics we missed the gold medal round by a shootout if I remember correctly.

Arcius
02-15-2002, 12:33 PM
With Patrick Roy you would be invincible =o

Bram
02-15-2002, 02:41 PM
Too bad I don't have tickets <sniff>. Wonder what the scalpers want for them today.

<races off to check>

Bram
02-15-2002, 02:44 PM
BTW, the US has won a gold medal in hockey more recently than Canada /grin.

What has it been? 50-60 years since Canada last won a gold in hockey?

Ramellron
02-15-2002, 04:47 PM
rofl

Ownage...

Eomer
02-15-2002, 05:43 PM
You know why that is? All of Canada's best players have been playing in the NHL when the Olympics were happening, whereas with European teams, they got breaks to go play. The first Olympics to let guys leave their teams was Nagano. Prior to that, Canada's teams were comprised of wash-ups mostly.

European players only seriously began to play in the NHL in the early 90's really, prior to that they were either not allowed to leave their countries (Soviet-bloc countries), or they played in their own Pro-leagues in Eurpope, which like I said, gave their teams breaks to join the Olympics.

As for tonight, Canada got the shit beaten out of them in the 2nd period, bad. First and third we actually outplayed sweden, but four goals in a period is going to kill you no matter what. European players have an advantage in that they grew up playing on the Olympic ice surface, whereas North American players have to adjust to the extra 15 feet of width, as well as the non-calling of two line passes. Both are quite big adjustments to make.

Cujo played like garbage mostly, Salo played very well.

There was not a single Canadian forward who stood out very much, whereas Sundin, Dahlen, and Alfredson dominated.

Defense was a draw, there wasn't any blatant screw-ups, or incredible plays by either side's D (except for Brewer's goal, that was sweet).

Excellent game by the swedes, 100' passes tape-to-tape every play.

Stitz
02-16-2002, 05:50 AM
;)

Lepra
02-16-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Tilea
Tonight your hockey team has the misfortune of having to play team Canada. You're goin DOWN!!!

So who went down Tilea?
:D :D :D

aed
02-16-2002, 10:20 AM
OH! I forgot what the results where?!?!? Perhaps someone can remind me?

Was it 5-2 to Sweden, was it? was it?

Perhaps someone can enlighten me please!

/Aedail

Arcius
02-16-2002, 10:50 AM
Finland sucks. Russia going down tonight.

That is all...

Ramellron
02-16-2002, 08:47 PM
OK, it all makes sense now. You were talking about the women's hockey team vs. Sweden. ;)

Eomer
02-17-2002, 12:00 AM
Am not really sure why they bother with the Tournament, it should just be USA vs. Canada in women's hockey. None of the other teams can even compete against them. In a few years maybe others will catch up, but right now it's just the two of them.

Ramellron
02-17-2002, 04:05 AM
True. Everyone else in women's hockey is competing for the bronze.

The USA men looked sloppy today and still managed a tie vs. Russia. At this point, it apears that the men's tournament is still pretty much up in the air.

Tilea
02-19-2002, 10:37 AM
Bleh. Well Sweden deserved to win against Canada, they played really well. But Canada's pulled it together since then so who knows what will happen :)

Eomer
02-19-2002, 01:47 PM
Well, they pulled it together VS. the Czech's anyways... we looked pretty bad against the Germans, hell, everyone beat them by at least 3 or 4 goals, and we beat them 3-2. Yay

Arcius
02-19-2002, 01:56 PM
Finland really pulled their game together too, I'm impressed.

Tilea
02-19-2002, 02:07 PM
Yeah but Germany's second goal was a total fluke

Eomer
02-19-2002, 03:30 PM
A goal is a goal is a goal. Canada hit three posts at least against Sweden, but it was still an ugly loss, cause those don't count!

Tilea
02-20-2002, 02:03 PM
OH MY GOD BELARUS BEAT SWEDEN!!!!

Lortl
02-20-2002, 03:30 PM
Russia beat the Czechs right after the Sweden game....2 upsets back to back..

Ramellron
02-20-2002, 03:53 PM
This is so USA's tourny to lose now.

Eomer
02-20-2002, 04:29 PM
I am glad to see Sweden out, the way they were playing, they honestly looked like the best team in the tournament.

Only 3 hours till Canada's game!

Tilea
02-21-2002, 06:39 AM
I'd love to see Canada vs Russia for the gold. Just like the old days :)

Eomer
02-21-2002, 07:59 AM
Yea, same Tilea. And also, of all the teams in the tournament, the US is the LAST team I would want to lose to, simply cause we will never hear the end of it :). Canada is starting to really turn it up, Blake and Jovanovski were nailing guys left and right last night, and we skated Finland into the ice, was good stuff.

It was looking like they were going to tie it up at the end of the 3rd their though, it was hella tense there.

Tilea
02-21-2002, 08:10 AM
If Brodeur can play the next two games like he did against Finland, Canada will be very hard to beat.

Arcius
02-21-2002, 09:49 AM
It would be great if the U.S. played Canada and won :p

Poor Sweden =\

Stitz
02-21-2002, 05:52 PM
=(/Y()?YFA()Y&"¤"¤"

I cant believe it! :(

Eomer
02-21-2002, 06:45 PM
Canadian women just downed US women for the Gold! Wooooot! It was a hard fought game, and it was great to see Canada come out on top.

And I would just like to add that I have never seen such a farce of reffing in my entire life. That reffing was so disgusting and piss-poor I am in absolute shock. Canada was the least penalized team in the tourney coming into the game, with 13 penalties against, total. Tonight they had 13 penalties in one game alone. 8 IN A ROW were called against Canada. Having played hockey for the majority of my life, I have never seen something like that in a regular season or exhibition game, let alone the gold medal game of the Olympics.

A ref's job is to try to keep the game within the rules as much as possible, while not affecting the outcome of a game. Calling 8 penalties in a row, including two two (wo)man advantages, against one team is disgusting. Some of the penalties were perhaps plausible, but twice I saw tripping penalties where the American player simply fell on their own, but the whistle happy ref tossed the nearest Canadian player in the box. Since when is telepathy a two minute minor?

Again, EIGHT PENALITES IN A ROW to one team. There is no way that should happen. The way refs in hockey work is that they try to keep penalties even, to make their impact less important on the game's outcome. If you call three penalties in a row against one team, no matter how blatant, generally the ref will look to give the other team a penalty next, to even things up slightly.

Just to break out the conspiracy theories, I don't think there is any surprise that the ref of the game was indeed American. All I can say is that I am glad Canada won anyway, because had we not, it would have been one hell of a bitter loss to swallow, with all the penalties stacked against us.

*edit!* Just wanted to mention that I don't think people are out to get us or anything. In Canada's game against Finland the ref did an excellent job maintaining the flow of the game, and very few penalties were called against either side. And that ref too was an American. Just wanted to make it clear that I don't think that there is a conspiracy out, just that the ref of the women's final was pretty blatantly one-sided.

Dharrk
02-21-2002, 07:21 PM
Can't wait to see ya when US men beat Canada. :D

Eomer
02-21-2002, 07:40 PM
:D

Arcius
02-22-2002, 07:35 AM
All this proves is that U.S. women are less manly than Canadian women...

Hi Amby!

Buazag Bonesteel
02-22-2002, 07:37 AM
ROFLMAO!!!

Tilea
02-22-2002, 07:59 AM
Honestly, I'll be surprised if the US gets passed Russia tonight at all. Just a feeling.

Elidroth
02-22-2002, 08:20 AM
You know guys.. This is why they actually play the games, instead of just giving the gold to whoever 'deserves it' or 'is the favorite'. Cause you just never know what might happen.

The Canadian womens team so deserved that win. They outplayed the USA team so badly in the 3rd period that it really wasn't as close as the score would imply.

Ramellron
02-22-2002, 10:44 AM
>>Honestly, I'll be surprised if the US gets passed Russia tonight at all. Just a feeling<<

heh...Based on your Canada vs. Sweden prediction, I think USA's chances are pretty good now! :p

Tilea
02-22-2002, 01:22 PM
:p

Ramellron
02-22-2002, 04:55 PM
/kneel

Dear God,

Please let Tilea predict a Canada win in the final.

Amen.

/genuflect

Arcius
02-22-2002, 05:45 PM
U.S. > Russia

Eomer
02-22-2002, 08:01 PM
Dang, was really hoping the Russians would do us the favor of putting the dirty yanks out! If I were forced to bet, I would bet for the yanks, I hate to say it :(.

Arcius
02-22-2002, 08:24 PM
If the Russians had started playing before the 3rd they might have won =\

They did very well in the last 20 minutes, it made the game a lot more exciting.

Dharrk
02-23-2002, 09:01 AM
U S Eh vs. Canada....you guys are going down!

Tilea
02-26-2002, 07:53 AM
Naturally my prediction for the final was Canada :p Canada played better with every game, until they were pretty much unstopable. It's pretty nice to see north america taking both golds and silvers in womens and mens hockey :D

Eomer
02-26-2002, 09:07 AM
It's all about the hidden Loonie and Dime at center ice baby :).

Tilea
02-26-2002, 10:16 AM
LOL yea, Gretzky buried it there under the ice before the tournament started. He said it's going to go to the hockey hall of fame as memorabelia.

Eomer
02-26-2002, 12:45 PM
The guys who made the ice for the Olympics are from Edmonton, since Edmonton is widely recognized as having the best ice in the world. It was them who put the loonie, as well as a dime, underneath the ice. They only told a few people about it, including the players themselves, hence why the women's hockey team was kissing centre ice after their win.

Immediately after the men's game was over, the icemaker dude and Kevin Lowe went out with a hot water bottle and melted it out of the ice. The loonie is going into the Hall of Fame and the dime is being kept by the icemaker.

Eliyahu
02-27-2002, 11:53 AM
Loonie??? Dime?? Hockey has a hall of fame??

Takes all types.....

:eek: :D :D :D :eek:

Ramellron
02-28-2002, 03:52 AM
Bah...no prediction posted prior to the game and Canada wins the gold! :( I hate j00!

j/k Grats on the victory.