PDA

View Full Version : Avatar

Tinkaboom
12-18-2009, 01:51 AM
Well i watched Avatar tonight with Elk and Soulprovider and just loved it.
The story was thought provoking and the planet's boundless, breathtaking collection of natural and unnatural wonders, rendered with uncanny fluidity, was awe inspiring go see it for yourselves :)

Elkwood
12-18-2009, 09:12 AM
^^^ +1

Very impressive in the 3d format. Easily the best movie using that setup i have ever seen far as visuals go

Domathoine
12-18-2009, 10:36 AM
First, and only, movie I've seen in 3d. 100% worth it.

They need to immortalize the art director for that film. Even if you don't like the idea//science fiction in general, it is absolutely worth the money to go look at the gorgeous scenery and seamless CGI. Not to mention the plot is pretty darn good!

IMO, 3 of the best sci-fi movies of all time this year.

gukaistar
12-18-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm off to see this Monday night 3D + IMAX - can't wait!!

Angelie
12-18-2009, 11:15 AM
of all time this year.

what a paradox :rolleyes:

Kakeku
12-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Bring whole family to watch it this Sunday!

Domathoine
12-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Not a paradox by any means...

3 of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time were released THIS year.

Angelie
12-18-2009, 11:59 AM
damn ESLers! :tongue:

Domathoine
12-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Are you referring to the Navi' or to me...?

So confused!

Angelie
12-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Whatever it takes to PL my post count son!!! Renshin, jump in anytime!!

Lonskils
12-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Not a paradox by any means...

3 of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time were released THIS year.

Maybe in your mind.

Domathoine
12-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Sure, in my opinion, 3 fantastic sci-fi films released this year should qualify among the greatest of all time.

In no order, Moon, Avatar, and District 9.

Elkwood
12-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Ahh it only did 3.5m on its midnight showing.

gukaistar
12-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Doma... you had me right up until you said... moon. =/

Domathoine
12-18-2009, 05:45 PM
You didn't like Moon?

I'm intrigued. Please, do explain.

Andaas
12-18-2009, 06:13 PM
I need to watch Moon still.

I can't say I'd put District 9 in a "top" of anything. It was ok, but certainly not a movie I want to watch again.

Octavus
12-18-2009, 08:56 PM
I for one liked district nine, but there were too many things that made me say WTF. For instance if a race has the ability and knowledge to create the most amazing technological weapons the world has ever seen, than why is the race such a raging bunch of fucktards. I mean trading a mecha-tank for a few cans of cat food is fucking obnoxiously rediculous.

I guess I need to see moon now...

Lonskils
12-19-2009, 07:55 AM
District 9 was ass. Moon was "ok." To put them on a list of all time greats. Much less the top of that list, is absurd.

Allara
12-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Saw this today on IMAX 3D. I don't make statements like this lightly, and I'll probably be ridiculed for saying this, but:

Avatar is the greatest film ever made, to date.

Domathoine
12-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Allara: I lol'd.

I can't go that far, but it is ABSOLUTELY a technical marvel. It is entirely worth it just to sit and watch through, even if there is no audio. Fantastic experience, can't wait to go down to Nashville and see it in Imax now.

Kakeku
12-21-2009, 08:29 AM
I watched it in 3d with my family last Sunday. The visual effect was simply stunning. A gamer-must-view type movie since you are truly seeing night elf in action (better version than the one in the Lord of Rings because characters in this movie ride on eagles/drgaons and tigers!!)

But it is a such waste putting all these creative work and ground-breaking visual effect on a blah story. Acting was not anywhere near as good in Titanic. Only if they could spend a fraction out of the 400 million production cost to hire a better script writer, this could be one of the greatest movie all time instead of one of the great movies because of its ground-breaking technology.

Aindayen
12-21-2009, 01:02 PM
I agree with kake.

Ain

Lonskils
12-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Allara: I lol'd.

I can't go that far, but it is ABSOLUTELY a technical marvel. It is entirely worth it just to sit and watch through, even if there is no audio. Fantastic experience, can't wait to go down to Nashville and see it in Imax now.

Yet District Nine and Moon were top 3 movies of all time. I've not seen Avatar yet, but I'm willing to bet it is 1000 times more entertaining to 10000 times more people than both those movies combined.

Lonskils
12-21-2009, 03:26 PM
I watched it in 3d with my family last Sunday. The visual effect was simply stunning. A gamer-must-view type movie since you are truly seeing night elf in action (better version than the one in the Lord of Rings because characters in this movie ride on eagles/drgaons and tigers!!)

But it is a such waste putting all these creative work and ground-breaking visual effect on a blah story. Acting was not anywhere near as good in Titanic. Only if they could spend a fraction out of the 400 million production cost to hire a better script writer, this could be one of the greatest movie all time instead of one of the great movies because of its ground-breaking technology.

The director was the script writer heh.

Domathoine
12-21-2009, 03:46 PM
I never said they were in the top 3 movies of all time.

I just simply believe that they deserve to be among the greatest science fiction films of all time.

Lonskils
12-21-2009, 08:21 PM
I never said they were in the top 3 movies of all time.

I just simply believe that they deserve to be among the greatest science fiction films of all time.

I'd put the original "Thing" movie over both of them and I'd put the thing at around the top 1000.

gukaistar
12-21-2009, 08:26 PM
I saw this in 3d IMAX tonight. It's a classic story that's been told so many times. I'm fine with that.

I'm with Allara - this was an AWESOME movie.

Aindayen
12-22-2009, 04:18 PM
It's a classic story that's been told so many times. I'm fine with that.

Hmmm I seem to have missed the other alien love stories me thinks.

Ain

Allara
12-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Hmmm I seem to have missed the other alien love stories me thinks.

It's more: "Humans r ebil, we destroy our planet and everyone else, also we hate other skin colurz. Also the planet is one spirit and we should sway with one voice and listen to the spirits."

That is the story that's been told a million times. Almost every single science fiction story in existence has some of these elements.

But I happen to completely buy in to all of that. Humanity as a species IS terrible. We ARE destroying our planet, and we shouldn't. We DO have a history of mercilessly ruining preexisting cultures simply for our own monetary gain. And we continue to do so, even today. I keep reading science fiction books with similar plot lines to this, precisely because it needs to be told, and told well. And movies like this, that show life to be so beautiful, even if they're fictional, are good in my book.

If people watch this movie and proclaim that the story is trite and boring and predictable, that's fine -- but I hope they all realize that the themes are true, and important to understand. As long as those people already understand the concepts, they have a right to enjoy any movie they please.

I rated it as high as I did not only because I'm happy with the cliche-ridden story, but more importantly because of the technical and emotional achievement it represents. I haven't been as touched by a movie in years, including all the "Imma indie movie and I r emo and nothing about me is a cliche" movies. Those are good movies too. But I'm a science fiction guy. And I love flying. I love ancient civilizations and beautiful forests. I absolutely love discovering something new.

Avatar represents everything good in science fiction, from a pure discovery point of view. You are there on the planet (assuming you watched it in 3D). You will never get closer to a foreign planet than this.

Basically, it all boils down to this. FLYING. MOUNTS. For realz, yo.

Yes, this is every teenage boy's wet dream. It's about time somebody fucking did it right.

Elkwood
12-22-2009, 05:02 PM
From what i read they have plans for at least 2 more. It will be interesting to see what direction it goes

Andaas
12-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Possible plot:

RDA scientists develop system that allows them to interfere with 'Avatars', and return to Pandora to attempt to take over Jake's Avatar and undermine the Na'vi civilization. While this is happening, with Jake having blackouts of his memory and not knowing what is wrong with him -- Neytiri is raising Jake and her son who is learning the ins and outs of being a Na'vi warrior, however, their son is not entirely Na'vi, but even more of a hybrid between human and Na'vi (quite a bit smaller, and perhaps with less of the physical abilities of others his age).

--

I dunno.. just one possible path come up with in 5 minutes, lol.

Lonskils
12-22-2009, 06:02 PM
It's more: "Humans r ebil, we destroy our planet and everyone else, also we hate other skin colurz. Also the planet is one spirit and we should sway with one voice and listen to the spirits."

That is the story that's been told a million times. Almost every single science fiction story in existence has some of these elements.

But I happen to completely buy in to all of that. Humanity as a species IS terrible. We ARE destroying our planet, and we shouldn't. We DO have a history of mercilessly ruining preexisting cultures simply for our own monetary gain. And we continue to do so, even today. I keep reading science fiction books with similar plot lines to this, precisely because it needs to be told, and told well. And movies like this, that show life to be so beautiful, even if they're fictional, are good in my book.

If people watch this movie and proclaim that the story is trite and boring and predictable, that's fine -- but I hope they all realize that the themes are true, and important to understand. As long as those people already understand the concepts, they have a right to enjoy any movie they please.

I rated it as high as I did not only because I'm happy with the cliche-ridden story, but more importantly because of the technical and emotional achievement it represents. I haven't been as touched by a movie in years, including all the "Imma indie movie and I r emo and nothing about me is a cliche" movies. Those are good movies too. But I'm a science fiction guy. And I love flying. I love ancient civilizations and beautiful forests. I absolutely love discovering something new.

Avatar represents everything good in science fiction, from a pure discovery point of view. You are there on the planet (assuming you watched it in 3D). You will never get closer to a foreign planet than this.

Basically, it all boils down to this. FLYING. MOUNTS. For realz, yo.

Yes, this is every teenage boy's wet dream. It's about time somebody fucking did it right.

You had me til the bold. I for one don't think we are ruining the planet. Nothing we do means shit to mother nature. I'll take the George Carlin way of thought though....
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EjmtSkl53h4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EjmtSkl53h4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

All hail our new Cockroach masters.

Loniel Bonewalker
12-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Just got back from seeing it. I absolutely loved it.

Andaas
12-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Sure, we're not destroying the planet; we're only destroying the planet's ability to sustain humans. The planet will be here for millions of years beyond man.

Lonskils
12-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Sure, we're not destroying the planet; we're only destroying the planet's ability to sustain humans. The planet will be here for millions of years beyond man.

exactly!

Allara
12-22-2009, 10:53 PM
I was a bit more focused on the cultural destruction side of things. But whatever, you Texans go ahead and fuck everything up if you want. :tongue:

Lonskils
12-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Call me a denier then. Cause there is just way to many holes in the Al Gore way of life for me to believe anything from that side of the isle.

Aindayen
12-23-2009, 12:20 AM

Until the sun explodes!

Ain

Loniel Bonewalker
12-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Call me a denier then. Cause there is just way to many holes in the Al Gore way of life for me to believe anything from that side of the isle.

Clearly even he knows this, flying around in his nifty private jet. :)

Maegwin
12-28-2009, 10:57 AM
There will come a day when all the hippy peace loving people will be happy that we spent the last several thousand years practicing killing each other. Because we're getting pretty good at it and whatever aliens come and try to take us out are in for a rough go of it.

Sabertootth
12-28-2009, 02:16 PM
ummmmm

if they can travel in space several hundred thousand AU's (Astronomical Units(the distance between the earth and the sun)) and sustain there life for that long to travel here, I'm pretty sure they have better technology then us. sure we can nuke them sure we can throw all we gut but honestly you think we are anything compared to a species that can travel LIGHTYEARS and great distances in space for long periods of time. sure we can go to the moon. We have scanned half our galaxy for a earth like planet and found 2. one on the other side of the galaxy and the next closest is 8.5x10^6000 AUs away.

they will kick our buts but unless they are hippie planet lovers that live primaly like the Na'vi then we are screwed.

Sabertootth
12-28-2009, 02:16 PM
just saying

Skaara
12-29-2009, 12:54 PM
5 word summary: Dances With Wolves in space.

I enjoyed it.

Octavus
12-29-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm a firm believer that the human race will destroy itself and deserves it. Only after doing so will the natural order be restored. We have been given all the tools to truly be the keepers of earth but we continue with our selfish, narrow minded views and only think of our personal desires. Kill all humans. That is all. Please return to your regular programming.

Andaas
12-29-2009, 01:53 PM
We'll make great pets.

Loniel Bonewalker
12-29-2009, 02:23 PM
I prefer being a Master :)

Domathoine
12-29-2009, 03:18 PM
We'll make great pets.

That.

Elkwood
12-29-2009, 05:11 PM
There will come a day when all the hippy peace loving people will be happy that we spent the last several thousand years practicing killing each other. Because we're getting pretty good at it and whatever aliens come and try to take us out are in for a rough go of it.

Love that bro !! A ranger after my own heart :)

Aindayen
01-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Come on common cold!

Ain