PDA

View Full Version : How to Train Your Dragon

Talas
01-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Just plugging our new movie in March. I've seen the first 2 acts - it's going to be *really* good.. No protodrakes were harmed in the making of this film.

YouTube- How to Train Your Dragon Official Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHUhygdAZIw)

Allara
01-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Saw a preview for this in IMAX 3D before Avatar. Looking forward to it!

Valdis
01-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Yea I want a free dragon to practice what I see in the movie though...

Zeyla
01-08-2010, 12:23 AM
So that's what you've been working on... looks pretty damn sweet!

Elkwood
01-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Looks good !

Crimsonbanshee
01-08-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm looking forward to this looks funny

Aindayen
01-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Looks great Talas!

Ain

Talas
03-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Rotten tomatoes link: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1194522-how_to_train_your_dragon/

I saw it last Sunday.. it is *really* good! I can't decide whether the story is better than Kung Fu Panda, yet. It is certainly much more beautiful and simply amazing to watch in 3D. If you liked Avatar's 3D, you will love the use of 3D in this movie.

Check it out! =)

Angelie
03-24-2010, 08:52 PM
I already bought 5 tix to IMAX for this friday's 7PM show :)

Berae
03-28-2010, 07:27 PM
I already bought 5 tix to IMAX for this friday's 7PM show :)
Which means you've now seen it and are planning to tell us what you thought of it? :)

Domathoine
03-29-2010, 03:51 PM
I've seen it.

I liked it, a lot, even if there was nothing particularly spectacular about the things they added 3D to.

I think this is definitely one of the better animated films to have come out recently. The humor is pretty good, even if there are a few lines that seem cut and pasted from a spot previous in the film.

The whole time I was watching it, I couldn't help but laugh at how this movie HADN'T been compared to Pocohantas and//or (insert fairly typical cinematic plotline movie here) like people constantly did with Avatar.

**LIGHT SPOILERS**

The plot is essentially the same... Misunderstood natives and it takes an out-of-place white man to truly discover who and what the natives are.

**END LIGHT SPOILERS**

I would absolutely recommend seeing this one, though whether or not you pay the extra for the 3D is entirely up to you. Definitely an enjoyable film and one that I wouldn't mind watching again once it is released on DVD//Blu-Ray//Movie Mediums.

Angelie
03-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Go to Costco and get the Gold Tickets for $8 rather than pay $13-14 at the box ticket office! I used my AMC coupon from costco (for $8) and added $7 more for IMAX tix. I think I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if it wasn't in IMAX hehe.

I Texted Talas right after...He's in the credits :P

PS
But he didn't text me back :unlove:

Andaas
03-29-2010, 04:03 PM
I went to see it on Friday, and saw it in 3D (not my choice). I'm more likely to see a CGI based movie in 3D vs. the crap Hollywood "OMG-convert-everything-to-3D-because-we-can-charge-three-dollars-extra-on-every-ticket" computer converted stuff (ie, Alice in Wonderland, Clash of the Titans, etc.). I didn't feel that 3D added anything of value to the movie, and I think I would have enjoyed it just as much (if not more) without the addition of 3D.

With that said, I enjoyed the movie, it was very entertaining and would recommend it.

Talas
03-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Go to Costco and get the Gold Tickets for $8 rather than pay $13-14 at the box ticket office! I used my AMC coupon from costco (for $8) and added $7 more for IMAX tix. I think I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if it wasn't in IMAX hehe.

I Texted Talas right after...He's in the credits :P

PS
But he didn't text me back :unlove:
I changed my number and didn't let Angelie know.. :(

Talas
03-29-2010, 07:17 PM
I went to see it on Friday, and saw it in 3D (not my choice). I'm more likely to see a CGI based movie in 3D vs. the crap Hollywood "OMG-convert-everything-to-3D-because-we-can-charge-three-dollars-extra-on-every-ticket" computer converted stuff (ie, Alice in Wonderland, Clash of the Titans, etc.). I didn't feel that 3D added anything of value to the movie, and I think I would have enjoyed it just as much (if not more) without the addition of 3D.

With that said, I enjoyed the movie, it was very entertaining and would recommend it.

Candice and I saw Alice two Saturday's ago in 3D and it was really bad. I am not going to watch anymore post processing 3D. All of that depth painting just doesn't work well and if the director doesn't shoot with 3D in mind, switching between different cameras can be very jarring.

With all the passive 3d formats, you are going to lose image brightness due to the polarization in the glasses. Some people like to complain about that. I haven't watched 3D v. 2D in the theater to really pick up the difference. I would kind of like to see both side by side to really understand what I'm missing.

As far as dragon in 3d, I really liked the cove sequences where the depth was a smooth transition - it made me feel like I was there. The other sequences where you don't have the kind of continuity that a ground plane brings doesn't make it seem as great.

Angelie
03-29-2010, 07:53 PM
There's a section of the movie that truly beats the magic carpet ride in Alladin! Love it.

Octavus
03-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Just watched this movie, not in 3D. I liked it alot considering I knew how it was going to end right from the start. The main character "Hiccup" had a sarcastic humor that I really enjoyed.

Well done.

Lonskils
03-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Talas needs to go all Elidroth and start naming characters after Hoss members!

Zeyla
03-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Took the family to see this last night. Excellent movie! I really enjoyed it. Did I recognize your name in the lighting crew Talas?

Talas
03-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Took the family to see this last night. Excellent movie! I really enjoyed it. Did I recognize your name in the lighting crew Talas?

Yessir! Well, Lighting & Rendering.. after the HP and Intel logos. :D

Zeyla
03-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Woot, I knew that was you! I remembered it was lighting something... It takes a LOT of people to make an animated feature!

Lonskils
03-31-2010, 10:08 PM
http://www.hsx.com/

Maegwin
04-05-2010, 07:51 AM
It was a great movie. Probably will be my second Blu Ray purchase of an animated film in the last two years. The first one being "Up".

Sabertootth
04-06-2010, 08:15 PM
I <3 Toothless!

Sabertootth
04-06-2010, 08:16 PM
No Homo!

Lonskils
05-15-2010, 02:21 PM
http://3pm.pirotess.co.uk/istrip_files/strips/20100419.png (http://3pm.pirotess.co.uk/index.php?strip_id=36)