PDA

View Full Version : Apple's new iPad debuts in 60 days for $499; supports 3G

Allara
01-27-2010, 11:26 AM
I imagine a lot of web sites are buzzing at the moment while Apple's press conference is going on. Here's a quick rundown.

$15/month for 250 MB/month from AT&T, $30/mo for unlimited access. Turn the data plan on and off any time you want -- no contracts. iPad also available without 3G support. Includes a new iBook application for reading books, newspapers, magazines. World's top publishers providing content. Runs all existing iPhone apps, as well as a new class of apps designed exclusively for the iPad. 0.5" thick, 1.5 pounds. 10 hours battery life, over a month of standby battery. 1 Ghz custom chip from Apple, accelerometer, 9.7" display, 16-64 GB storage, compass, speaker, microphone, WiFi 802.11n, Bluetooth 2.1. External keyboard and picture frame stand/dock available. Syncs to your computer via USB, same as iPhone.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/01/apple-announces-ipad-attempts-to-change-the-world.ars

Angelie
01-27-2010, 11:36 AM
LINKZ plx

Lonskils
01-27-2010, 11:45 AM
It's a really big Iphone weeeee

Aerothas
01-27-2010, 12:11 PM
yep. still hate apple. funny the google nexus one has a 1ghz cpu in it. and for more providers other than gay-t&t

Angelie
01-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Hehe - no matter how many haters are out there - Iphone is still the best with its built in MP3 player / video player. I looked at the droid/nexus - it's bleh. I'll take aesthetics over a little extra umph.

Allara
01-27-2010, 12:33 PM
http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Rennys
01-27-2010, 12:55 PM
yep. still hate apple. funny the google nexus one has a 1ghz cpu in it. and for more providers other than gay-t&t

Looks like the Google Nexus One uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon with some built in hardware for video decode acceleration. By comparison, the iPhone 3Gs uses a Cortex A8 processor at 600 MHz along with the PowerVR SGX graphics processor. Combine that with different software loads and you've got the issue that CPU speed tells you all of squat.

I have to agree with Ang though, Apple has hands down the best integration of all the contenders at the moment. The sync, app store, and utilities are all very clean.

Aerothas
01-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Hehe - no matter how many haters are out there - Iphone is still the best with its built in MP3 player / video player. I looked at the droid/nexus - it's bleh. I'll take aesthetics over a little extra umph.

Not to derail more than I have already but... I would have bought the iPhone if AT&Ts service didn't blow big floppy donkey dick in my area. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is great but after all its still a PHONE. I tried a friends iPhone so I'm not really biased towards the Droids. Those commercials with Luke Wilson downloading stuff with the iPhone and the Verizon 3G is bull shit. Verizon's service is FAR better than AT&Ts (in the NJ/NY area).

Domathoine
01-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Verizon's service is FAR better than AT&Ts (in the greater United States are).

Fixed.

I have absolutely ZERO interest in the iPad.

Angelie
01-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Sillies! That's what the land line is for! :love:

Allara
01-27-2010, 02:24 PM
OK haters, we get that you don't want it. Say it once and get it off your chest. Now you're done.

Angelie
01-27-2010, 02:41 PM
You haters live in areas that aren't in the map anyway! No one cares about you!! :unlove:

Lonskils
01-27-2010, 03:16 PM
The market for this is like 100k people at the moment in the United States, at least that is the number of folks that use tablets right now. I'm just not seeing how they will recoup the cost that it took to produce it unless they start bringing in a large sum more than that of folks.

Lonskils
01-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Which I guess is why their stock dropped like 10 points right after Jobs unfolded it.

Angelie
01-27-2010, 03:27 PM
The market for this is like 100k people at the moment in the United States, at least that is the number of folks that use tablets right now. I'm just not seeing how they will recoup the cost that it took to produce it unless they start bringing in a large sum more than that of folks.

Once holidays hits - i think ppl will try to get it just because it's apple...

Allara
01-27-2010, 03:27 PM
From Twitter and some web site comments:

It surfs the web AND stops the bleeding.

And you can use the giant QWERTY keyboard to get your period on the iPad!

Is apple making an iPad for light-flow days? Just wondering...

iPad? Really? All I can say is, I'm sticking with Always, bitches.

So I can say "That chick is on her iPad" and not be called a pig? Thank you Apple.

iPad has changed "the conversation" from how we use tech in context to how we use tech as Kotex. (who named this thing?)

I haven't heard this many period jokes since I was forced to watch The View last month.

Okay, just one more. The iPad: protecting your data from embarrassing incidents.

64 gig iPad will forever be known as the heavy flow model.

Did the prototype come with a belt?

Does the Period Tracker app come free?

If I order this, will my boyfriend and I have to worry if it comes late?

If you and your friends all buy one, will they sync up?

Meh. I'll wait until they come out with the iDivaCup

Don't wear white jeans while using an iPad, and especially don't use an iPad in front of your crush. You're a teen magazine embarrassing moment waiting to happen.

someone needs to make a 'mysterious blue liquid stain on white' wallpaper for this.

Later in the year they will be releasing the companion tablet pen, the Ipon.

But what if the cute boys see me shopping for one? What if my dad has to take me??

It's so beautiful when an electronics company finally becomes a woman...

Aunt Flo will be so happy! Reply

Eh, I prefer the CVS brand. A few bucks less but does the same thing...

So will iffy Wifi coverage be called iSpotting?

Can I get a scented iPad for when my data feels not-so-fresh?

Everyone, just try to Stay(free) calm and Poise(d). It's Always nice to see a new product on the market. I Depend on Apple to come up with great ideas. Maybe we're taking this out of Kotex.

Somebody give the iPad a Red Bull, because it ain't no good without wings.

Are you there, God? It's me, Marketing.

iPads are for 8th graders. I'm waiting for the iTampon, because I prefer to do all my interneting from inside my vagina.

Hopefully it will help people deal with the 24-hour news cycle.

Andaas
01-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Don't forget...

YouTube- Mad Tv - IPad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs&feature=player_embedded)

Peotr
01-27-2010, 03:42 PM
The iPad released today is not the total vision for the product. More important than todays device is its future potential. Although it's not included in this generation of the software or hardware, the future iPads are supposed to integrate with an Apple desktop computer.

Imagine returning to your office and clipping your iPad vertically to the edge of your Apple monitor - it syncs all crossover files (mail, music, or whatever work files are in your sync folder), it acts as a second computer, and it also doubles as a small second monitor. With a more advanced touchscreen it will also act as a second input device - using graphics software you can use as a slate, drawing on its surface like a digital sketch pad, or moving your tool windows onto the iPad so that you can change tools with a touch of your finger.

There is a company (Karimbo?) making translation software for the iPad. Use your iPad to take a picture of a street sign, a subway map, museum display or a menu, draw a box around the text and get an instant translation, with the breakdown of each word and an audio of how that word would be pronounced. Thats just fucking cool.

Apple can do these things because they're integrated from top to bottom. They make the hardware, the operating system and some of the software, and it's all purpose built. I don't own a single Apple product, but I recognize leadership. The iPad may not be a revolution, but you can bet that the companies that support the PCs are looking at it very hard.

Andaas
01-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Use your iPad to take a picture of a street sign, a subway map, museum display or a menu, draw a box around the text and get an instant translation, with the breakdown of each word and an audio of how that word would be pronounced. Thats just fucking cool.

It's a shame they forgot to put a camera on it. :cry:

Peotr
01-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Some people were bitching about that - it's the easy out for the first generation upgrade for the iPad.

You know it will have it, since a still camera exists for the iPhone and a video camera exists for the iPod. Apple didn't put the cameras in the first generation iPads so they wouldn't have to do very much to make the second generation iPad newsworthy. :mad:

P.S. The software is being designed for the iPhone, they just mentioned that it's also being designed for 'future lightweight Apple devices'.

Angelie
01-27-2010, 04:13 PM
It's a shame they forgot to put a camera on it. :cry:

Why would they? Who then would buy the iPad when it comes out in December with a Camera on it? :smile:

Stosh
01-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Imagine returning to your office and clipping your iPad vertically to the edge of your Apple monitor

Which office would that be? The .01% of the corporate world that uses Apple desktops?

Aerothas
01-27-2010, 04:27 PM
I want restaurants or bars to lodge this thing in tables for use as a menu so I can be like "OOPS SORRY" and buy unsuspecting douchenuggets some shots of Johnnie Walker Blue or a bottle of Cristal. Cause being in a wheel chair I use many things for pushing/leverage, not just my wheels.. especially if I'm drunk!

Angelie
01-27-2010, 04:30 PM
I want restaurants or bars to lodge this thing in tables for use as a menu so I can be like "OOPS SORRY" and buy unsuspecting douchenuggets some shots of Johnny Walker Blue or a bottle of Cristal. Cause being in a wheel chair I use many things for pushing/leverage, not just my wheels.. especially if I'm drunk!

If you've been to NY - they already have the screen touch Apple technology in a few of their bars.

They use it to order their drinks and also get some basic 411 about wines and stuff. People go those clubs because it's "shi-shi"

Some products are not made for your average person. The technology is out there and there are companies who wouldn't mind having the aesthetics of what these products have to offer - yes ordering via the tablet is a helluva way to show how shi shi your restaurant is. In this day and age - it's not hard to envision why some bar and lounges would invest in such things to be considered "cool."

Hell if they're willing to put up 50 flat screen TVs - it's not that hard to have 100 of these puppies.

Allara
01-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Which office would that be? The .01% of the corporate world that uses Apple desktops?

Creative types -- designers, editors, etc.

Lonskils
01-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Wouldn't it have been great if you have an iphone that you could dock your fucking iPhone to it and use the God damn internet you are already paying for with the phone for the iPad? Would that be to fucking hard?

Allara
01-27-2010, 04:56 PM
That'd be tethering, which is still Coming Soon™ from AT&T, and will reputedly cost $30/month anyway, so no net gain.

Lonskils
01-27-2010, 05:34 PM
So I'll be paying 45 bucks a fucking month for internet on TOP of my home internet? Yeah....no thanks. Why not just add me to the same account as my iPhone and fu9ckk the tethering and both use the same internet?

Allara
01-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Because that's not how cell companies work. Yeah, they suck.

Gheltire
01-27-2010, 06:53 PM
bah I own a home theatre/automation business on the side and here's what Im thinking

we already teach people how to run many appliances in their house with an iphone over their internal wifi

but generally most people want a tablet remote

or a wall panel, like something made by crestron?

I can buy a wifi capable device which I can start automating devices in houses/cars with for 500 bucks? AND I can control my itunes over multizonal output or control appletv and not also be forced to buy a big expensive infrared remote?

As a phone or even a kindle competitor meh. And its not good for multimedia I dont think it does HD and is only 4:3 ratio on video. But something that is going to be a leadin device towards smarthome technology? Yeah Im interested. Its no coincidence that crestron just released their prodigy line. Give this technology two years and itll be on everyone's coffee table helping you push appletv movies to your car wifi'd in the garage.

Gheltire
01-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Wouldn't it have been great if you have an iphone that you could dock your fucking iPhone to it and use the God damn internet you are already paying for with the phone for the iPad? Would that be to fucking hard?

you can turn your iphone into a WAP already. Course you have to do some bad things to your phone. Bad Bad things

Valdis
01-27-2010, 07:29 PM
The part I love is any sucker that buys one will get to also buy numerous OS/firmware/software upgrades that should have been there all along. Hello copy/paste.

Lonskils
01-27-2010, 08:47 PM
I gotta tell ya. I want one. But only because it isn't as clumsy as a notebook computer. I will probably pass on 1st gen though. Instead of him wasting an hour on this though, he could have said ok its a huge iTouch thanks for coming.

Stosh
01-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Creative types -- designers, editors, etc.

The people I know who create things, like engineers don't use Macs. I suppose those who get to choose what color chairs to put in structures made by engineers use Macs though.

Lonskils
01-27-2010, 08:57 PM
The people I know who create things, like engineers don't use Macs. I suppose those who get to choose what color chairs to put in structures made by engineers use Macs though.

Very true.

Allara
01-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Hello copy/paste.

Although your point is valid, copy/paste has been a part of the iPhone OS for a while now.

I wasn't thinking of engineers per se. Graphic designers for example.

Lonskils
01-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Although your point is valid, copy/paste has been a part of the iPhone OS for a while now.

I wasn't thinking of engineers per se. Graphic designers for example.

I'm a GD that does not use a Mac, don't use a one of them at Dell. Same programs that a Mac has for GD a PC has and I don't have to fuck with boot camping something to get it to work. As Steve Jobs says, it just works.

Allara
01-28-2010, 09:42 AM
I've been a graphic designer for 15 years and I've never used a Mac to do it either. In fact I've never owned a Mac in my life. Guess what, our anecdotes don't mean shit -- there are people that use Macs professionally still. Anyway, this topic is getting boring fast, maybe we could stop rehashing the stupid Mac vs. PC fanboy crap?

Stosh
01-28-2010, 11:18 AM
I've been a graphic designer for 15 years and I've never used a Mac to do it either. In fact I've never owned a Mac in my life. Guess what, our anecdotes don't mean shit -- there are people that use Macs professionally still. Anyway, this topic is getting boring fast, maybe we could stop rehashing the stupid Mac vs. PC fanboy crap?

What were you expecting? Unless there's a hidden forum where people are discussing the finer points of quantum machanics and gene therapy, 99% of the topics here revolve around banal discussions of games, tv, movies, alcohol and titties.

That said, I'm going to keep trolling, because Steve Jobs can't live forever and then we'll be without the PC vs. Mac wars and I'll be stuck with just Xbox vs. PS3 fanboy wars.

Allara
01-28-2010, 11:24 AM
You don't have access to the gene therapy forum? Damn. ;)

Back on topic, I think the iPad sucks.

Angelie
01-28-2010, 11:28 AM
I know a couple of restaurant owners already moving to implement the iPads for their ordering procedures. The personal aspects of the ipad sucks (it's just as good as what was depicted in Mad Tv). However, the business implications it offers is just amazing. Can't wait to see what else they'll use this for.

On a side note, I can also see a future with the iPad for those shi shi parents who want to have a more engaging story time before their kids sleep.

Allara
01-28-2010, 11:30 AM
If the universal remote thing happens, I'll be more likely to get one. That would be cool. Gheltire, how does the wifi interface with the IR and Bluetooth devices? Is there some other bridge device with an IR blaster?

depen
01-28-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm just hoping they do some software updates before launch. No multitasking or flash is... poor design in a media consumption device.

I don't consider myself an Apple fanboy, but there are many apple products in my household. Multiple ipods, itouches, iphones, and a laptop or 2. I generally won't record music on a PC. I generally won't play games on my Mac.

I don't see much use for it if it doesn't multi-task. Pandora in the background while web browsing (well, 60% of the web without Flash) isn't asking much.

Valdis
01-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Ang, do you mean owners would replace having the waiters place the order and the customer would just do it? Or do you mean replace the PoS spots with iPads, in a way similar to how TGIFs now have remote card swipers so all they need to do is pick up the receipts? Either way as a former waiter I can say it's a complete waste of money all you are going is causing yourself a headache in the first scenario and wasting money replacing a functional device for a pretty device.

As usual all Mac is doing is being the first to take a common piece of technology and mainstream it the most successfully unless of course it flops due to it being a glorified iPod and having an absolutely retarded name.

Angelie
01-28-2010, 12:12 PM
They're just after "aesthetics" and "looking sophisticated."

It's what the waiters will end up using taking orders instead of a note pad. So the moment the order is placed by the customer, the screen gets it immediately by the kitchen. They also value being able to show different snap shots of the food the customer is about to order.

I mean - if you go to Cut @ Beverly Hills (http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants/fine-dining/3789) - the steak you're going to eat isn't going to be THAT much better at another steak house that costs half as much. But why would you go to Cut? So restaurants like so don't mind spending the extra money to provide their customers the sophisticated atmosphere that their customers pay extra money for.
http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/content/images/gallery_inset_image_1d5f0af09172ef929e34e239af4d51 73.jpg
http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/content/images/gallery_inset_image_1d5d368d2aa5571a827694eafb1cc9 ef.jpg
http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/content/images/gallery_inset_image_fe11f3361761c39f9a43c012ea16f2 05.jpg

Valdis
01-28-2010, 12:14 PM
I hope those things are durable then cause they are gonna take way more abuse then what Mac is ever intended.

Allara
01-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Wireless point of sale (POS) units are actually quite useful (and popular in trendy places, especially places with multiple floors/decks/outdoor areas), if done right. A POS on the iPad over WiFi could be pretty useful, I think. And that's a really low price point for the hardware (although I'm sure Micros et. al. would charge an arm and a leg for the software).

Of course, you'd run into issues with people stealing them, etc., which doesn't happen for existing wireless POS devices because they're purpose-built.

Angelie
01-28-2010, 12:22 PM
A bottle of wine shown to a customer at cut is more expensive than 1-5x the amount of one iPad. We're not talking about your average Apple Bees or Chile's :tongue: So I'm sure the waiters themselves are aware of how to take care of them.

For my friends who own the restaurant - it's exactly what Allara said - POS (point of sale) is vital to them especially during heavy hours where they have lots of ppl waiting. Even if it means cutting two minutes just to make sure your customers have their appetizers / salad ASAP is big to them. I don't disagree. I'm an avid fan of excellent customer service.

Stosh
01-28-2010, 02:35 PM
They also value being able to show different snap shots of the food the customer is about to order.
[/IMG]

Just one step closer to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, where you get to "meet the meat".

Berae
01-28-2010, 02:43 PM
So, why would anyone want this iPhone that's too big to fit in your pocket? Its just a tablet PC that doesn't fold back into a laptop, not sure why they'd even bother announcing it.

Angelie
01-28-2010, 02:47 PM
I think it's a lot thinner and lighter than a tablet PC :tongue: (totally different usage)

Stosh
01-28-2010, 02:47 PM
http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/content/images/gallery_inset_image_1d5f0af09172ef929e34e239af4d51 73.jpg
http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/content/images/gallery_inset_image_1d5d368d2aa5571a827694eafb1cc9 ef.jpg
http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/content/images/gallery_inset_image_fe11f3361761c39f9a43c012ea16f2 05.jpg

I just have to comment, because I can't imagine I'd ever go to a steakhouse that looks like that.

That must be the Hollywood/LA scene steakhouse where the goal is to see and be seen by others. When I go to a steakhouse, it's to have a quiet, private, romantic dinner with my wife. The decor of that place is my idea of what a cafeteria in a private school for rich kids would look like.

Angelie
01-28-2010, 02:56 PM
It utilizes openess and space :) In any steak house I got to, including Ruth Chris or Morton's, or the expensive ones in Vegas - I always see tables and very minimal tables in booths where you are isolated. Even the House of Prime rib up in san francisco is quite open hehe...so I dunno.

Post pics of steak houses that you go to that's pretty isolated :smile:

Aerothas
01-28-2010, 04:57 PM
That restaurant looks like a computer lab or library or something in a college. Kick ass uncomfortable looking rolly chairs (with lumbar support? what the fuck?).

Berae
01-28-2010, 06:09 PM
First glance of the middle pic I thought it was a civil engineering office.

Lonskils
01-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Morison's cafeteria has nothing on that place Nubbin!

Lonskils
01-29-2010, 12:48 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lQnT0zp8Ya4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lQnT0zp8Ya4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Andaas
02-11-2010, 06:00 PM
There we go..

YouTube- Tosh.O with an iPad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8KqD2JlzIA&feature=player_embedded)

Valdis
02-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Yea I saw that last night and it warmed the cockles of my heart.

Berae
02-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Does it come with that tabletop golf stand by default?

Kikiyo
02-12-2010, 03:21 PM
sniff sniff. meanie. though I did lol at that. I am planning to get one as it is perfect for what I need and want. I don't have an iPhone or iPod Touch and have a working iPod that still has a long life on it so I have no need to get an iPod Touch right now. I do not have an internet browser downstairs where all my gaming systems are and so it will be nice to something for downstairs. I can then browse while playing games or watching TV or when friends are over. I have always like the apple screens compared to regular laptops and netbooks. Will I shell out 500+ bucks on it? Probably not though I do have the money for it as I just can't justify that much. I am going to wait a few months for it to lower in price and then buy it.