PDA

View Full Version : Grats Canada!

Karendra
02-24-2002, 02:17 PM
WOOOT!

Arcius
02-24-2002, 02:25 PM
Congratulations.

Canada really played well and without Richter in goal the score would have been even higher. Good game.

Enjoy it Canadians. There's always the next Olympics ;)

Amberel
02-24-2002, 03:07 PM
=D

Eomer
02-24-2002, 03:17 PM
That rocked :)

And it's 4 years Arc!

Arcius
02-24-2002, 05:43 PM
I don't know why I said next year =\

Lilkylor Ravenblade
02-24-2002, 05:47 PM
That was an awesome game, Canada dominated the whole game.
My whole building was cheering like hell.

BTW, Rhedd you still suck. :p

Zappo
02-24-2002, 05:55 PM
i am not normally for this but....
can some 1 nuke this post?
damn cnadians

Torrid
02-24-2002, 07:03 PM
Wow. You beat the USA in your specialization sport. I should hope you'd win or that would be really, really pathetic

Eomer
02-24-2002, 08:11 PM
How do you figure Torrid? You guys have ten times the population of us, I think it's pretty significant that we managed to win gold.

Maybe 10 years ago I would have agreed with you, but Hockey isn't a niche sport in the States anymore.

Dharrk
02-24-2002, 08:46 PM
I suppose we should say the same with basketball and baseball Eomer. Hehe, if over like 60% of the people in the NHL are Canadian, I'd hope they'd have one of the best teams. Its not as huge a gap as it was 10 years ago, but it still exists.

You guys have ten times the population of us

Where was team China, they have over a billion yet they aren't the best. :p

Sows McBuff
02-24-2002, 10:06 PM
canada losin the hockey medal be like an american team losing the little league world series!

o wait...
uh...

n/m

Drakky
02-25-2002, 03:25 AM
Haha Torrid. That's the most stupid logic I have ever heard. You are obviously one of the more ignorant Americans. With your logic the states should win every game they created too, and if they don't they are pathetic.

Hey, look at the population of Canada; 35 million or so. What's the states have? 250+ Million? I'd say we do pretty good in the Olympics - considering how many people we have to choose from.

Anyways, don't want to get this into a pissing contest, because I could really care less who ended up winning. But ignorant people like Torrid get to me.

....lol that's pretty funny Torrid.

Drakky
02-25-2002, 03:31 AM
Sure Dharrk, like you can really compare China to Canada and USA, lol, sure there. Duh? They are nothing like us? We operate so alike right? Ahahaha. Sorry you can't even compare China to either of us.

Some of you need to suck up your goddamn loss already. I'd be saying the same to Canadians if they acted like this.

Btw, good way to represent your country by having the Canadian flag on the floor in the locker room having everyone walk all over it. Pretty ignorant of that team.

Buazag Bonesteel
02-25-2002, 04:18 AM
Hrmm. I don't really even like hockey. It was a good game though. Grats to Canada as they were obviously the better team.

Torrid
02-25-2002, 04:37 AM
Haha

I wrote that just to get a rise out of the canadians going around going Canada > USA. If you didn't care drakky, you wouldn't be making a bunch of passionate posts on the issue.

I could give a rats ass about this or any sport. Sports are something to do to keep healthy and to have fun. Olympics are a wase of time, and I can't wait until technology makes the Oylmpics a joke.

P.S. that was Canada's first gold in 50 years in the sport they invented. Clearly Canada owns USA

Eomer
02-25-2002, 06:19 AM
I explained that before Torrid, on why Canada hasn't won a gold in 50 years. This is only the second Olympics where our best players have been able to go... before all the pro's weren't allowed to leave the NHL, so they would send amateur teams up against the best European players, and generally get their ass's kicked.

Hell, the last Canadian team to win was a bunch of guys from a Ford dealership in Edmonton that worked regular jobs, called the Edmonton Mercury's.

And population itself isn't very important, it's more dependent upon how many people are playing it on an amateur level. 10 years ago Canada probably had a huge advantage over the States in that respect, but now I bet the US has at least as many kids playing it as Canada. China doesn't really play hockey, so that excludes them.

And the reason why the US dominates Baseball and Basketball is because very few of the other major sporting countries in the world (most Europe and some eastern European countries) play them. Those two sports are very North American.

And I didn't see anyone say Canada > USA Torrid. It was simply Karendra, a german (I think!) congratulating Canada's hockey team on a good win. I don't see why it was neccessary to come and start a pissing contest.

Qaediin
02-25-2002, 06:24 AM
Population size of a country is not the MOST determining factor in wether a team is a winner or loser. Look at Cuba/Dominican Republic: dirt ass poor, no multi million dollar complexes to train in, no well known coaches that train them. But they still turn out some awesome atheletes and baseball players.

So why does one team win over another when they "shouldnt"? Heart!! Grats Canada on the Hockey Gold medal:)

Lola
02-25-2002, 06:29 AM
Nationalism is such an ugly thing.

Elkay
02-25-2002, 08:33 AM
grats canooks, eh?
you beat the US in hockey, eh?
Eh?

Elkay
02-25-2002, 08:36 AM
eh?

Dharrk
02-25-2002, 11:00 AM
Its simple, the better team won, there are no reasons why besides that Canada and the USA advanced to the final round and then the Canadians scored 5 goals and USA scored 2. Therefore Canada won.

This has nothing to do with who was on which team and which team has more talent and should have more talent. Its who played better that day.

I'm sure it effects our everyday lives who won too. My day isn't complete and I'm so bummed the US lost I'm going to go into a depressed state.

All of these defensive retorts about who is better/should be better is just made out of your own competitive spirit. For about 15 seconds I'll be like wow that caught my attention. But in the next minute I don't give two shits about who thinks what country is better because it is never justifiable.

So basically, this whole post was all in good fun and I don't think anyone was that serious about what they were saying.

If you think I can't take a loss or anything, I didn't watch the hockey game (didn't care to). I'm also a NY Giants fan in football and they sucked in the Superbowl and last season. O well.

So, when your about to get upset over a sports event because your team won or your team lost, think of it this way. Either join in on complaining/gloating or say I don't give a shit and move on.

All in all don't take sports criticism seriously.

Arcius
02-25-2002, 11:14 AM
Belarus only has 200ish pro level players. they did pretty good :p

Canada was really the better team and deserved to win, but population plays a big part too, the more people you have the more selection you have.

Drakky
02-25-2002, 12:30 PM
I only cared because of your snobby post Torrid.

Torrid
02-25-2002, 04:49 PM
Uh drakky, my post was blantently that way because I wasn't serious...

Eomer
02-25-2002, 05:46 PM
It's hard to tell with you tho Torrid, it's not exactly uncommon for you to say things that piss a lot of people off :).

Lexoon
02-25-2002, 05:52 PM
fackin canuckians =(((((((

Semele
02-25-2002, 06:00 PM
eh?

Dlarkin Soulbreaker
02-25-2002, 11:19 PM
Do you have any idea the overall areodynamic advantage that Canadians have in a sport such as "Haukk"-ee given the basic anatomical structure each and every Canadian has with that damn floppy ass head!

The win was a shoe in!

Torrid
02-26-2002, 05:55 AM
Seriously though, the Olympics are a joke. You could re-do all the fucking events over and over and end up with a different winner all the time. The Canadian hocky team would win every 5 games out of 7 though :D

Eomer
02-26-2002, 07:26 AM
I agree that the Olympics for the most part are a total joke. Some events are good, like the Alpine events and the long track speed skating. But some other ones are so stupid it's ridiculous, whether it's the nature of the event itself (short track speed skating) or the fact that your performance has no effect on your placing (figure skating, ice dancing).

And to make it worse, the organization is completely corrupt, and a fair number of the athletes cheat. Becky Scott got a bronze medal in Cross Country skiing, and the two people who finished ahead of her were both booted out for doping, yet chances are, she won't get a gold medal. Stuff like that is just disgusting.

Torrid
02-26-2002, 08:19 AM
The worst part is all those dishonest germans taking all these performance enhancing drugs to get medals! Damn, and you thought the stereotypes you saw of german athletes you saw in cartoons was unwarrented. Think again!

Ok, its official. I am going to hell.

Karendra
02-26-2002, 08:33 AM
you got that wrong torrid . we nolonger take steroids we advanceed to geneticalyengeneering!!!!!
Our dns > your dns

have fun :)

RAWR (tm)

Tilea
02-26-2002, 09:39 AM
Despite which two teams played for the gold, and who won, that was one HELL of a game. Best I've seen is such a long time. The 5-2 score doesn't really indicate how close it was. Canada played their best game of the whole series and they needed it to win. Brodeur kicked major ass and Sakic (who I personally think is pretty damn cute!) did what he does best, score goals :)

The US walked out with two silver medals in hockey and that's pretty damn good. The sport is very competitive nowadays with around 5 countries all being major contenders. Canada was the best this time, hopefully we'll be the best again next time. :)

oh and by the way, FU Brett Hull... a Canadian who refuses to play for his countries team.

Dharrk
02-26-2002, 11:10 AM
Curling owns

Eomer
02-26-2002, 12:36 PM
Add Deadmarsh and Chelios to that list Tilea, they are both Canadian born as well. But since Hull is an asshole too, most people just pick on him :).

Andaas
02-26-2002, 01:13 PM
oh and by the way, FU Brett Hull... a Canadian who refuses to play for his countries team.

Brett Hull jumped ship to the US team when he didn't make the Canadian team in '98. Sooo.. what do you do when you want to play in the olympics? Change countries!

I have a feeling that once he decided to play for the US in '98, that the IOC would have issues with him playing for Canada in '02.

Tilea
02-26-2002, 01:44 PM
Well since it's the olympics and you're supposed to be competing for your country... makes sense that you would only play for your contry... You don't see Sundin playing for Canada just because he lives and plays for a team there :p

Honestly though I wouldn't have replaced a single Canadian forward on the team with Hull.

Eomer
02-26-2002, 02:13 PM
I think the way it works Andy, is that once you play in an IIHF (International Ice Hockey Federation) sanctioned game, which includes the Olympics, World Cup, Canada Cup etc, you have to play for them, for life. You aren't allowed to ever change basically. There was a relatively large controversy awhile back about some Russian player. He had played for his true home country, one of the 'stans, I think it started with a T, and they wouldn't allow him to play for Russia in the Olympics.

Brett Hull was able to choose between the US and Canadian teams in 98 because he is a dual citizen, as he was originally born and raised in Canada, but applied for dual citizenship.

Dharrk
02-26-2002, 02:15 PM
What happens if you were born on the border of Canada and USA and half your body was on one and other half on other?

Tilea
02-26-2002, 02:19 PM
Then each half of your body has to play for a different team. Duh.... ;)