PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus

Kallaill
07-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Anyone know of a good FREE antivirus that won't slow down your computer?

Thanks! :bat:

Aerothas
07-17-2010, 12:57 PM
AVG is pretty popular. http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

Domathoine
07-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Believe it or not, Microsoft Security Essentials is actually a beast of a program for free, provided you have a validated copy of windows.

Wresh
07-18-2010, 02:59 PM
I agree with Aero here. I have been using AVG for years w/o any issue on performance slowdowns.

With AVG, I also use malwarebytes (also a free program) for things AVG might miss (like all anti-virus programs will).

Berae
07-18-2010, 03:19 PM
You also need something to remove those awesome rootkits.

Zeyla
07-19-2010, 11:08 AM
I install a LOT of free antivirus on Family and Personal PC's that I work on. I've used AVG and Avast free version in the past primarily. But I have had to go back and clean up some of those PC's later because of spyware. I've had really good luck with Microsoft Security Essentials, it is easy to install requires little to no configuration and is not intrusive to the user. Plus it does a fairly decent job of protecting from spyware. The memory/CPU footprint of the Microsoft sweet is pretty low also. On home machines it is all I install anymore.

One note about it, when you install it it runs the Microsoft Genuine Advantage tool/check to make sure you are running a legit copy of Windows. So if your Windows copy is less than genuine, look elsewhere.

No AntiVirus/AntiSpyware is perfect, I still have machines on my work network that get spyware from time to time and we have a device that scans URL's as they come in and the corporate version of Symantec AntiVirus... The best protection is just being smart about where you go on the internet, and keep all your software up to date with patches/updates (Windows, Browsers, Flash, Acrobat, etc etc)...

This is what I tell my clients: "The best AntiVirus is You!" :)

Gheltire
07-19-2010, 09:06 PM
goshdangit and here I was out here focused on preventing forest fires. I have no time for all this pro bono crap!

Kallaill
07-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Installed microsoft security essentials. Seems to be working well! Thanks all!

Lonskils
07-20-2010, 10:47 PM
You also need something to remove those awesome rootkits.

UNHACKME (http://www.greatis.com/unhackme/)

vegu
07-21-2010, 08:31 AM
why so infected callale

Parak
07-21-2010, 07:37 PM
why so vegu, vegu

vegu
07-23-2010, 03:32 AM
im not sure :(
why so paraq, parak

Kallaill
07-27-2010, 06:54 PM