PDA

View Full Version : Returning to EQ or "Okay what the heck key is autoattack?"

Storme
03-06-2002, 07:08 AM
Last night I had a few moments to breathe since we no longer have to run around and look at every rentable house in the city, so I thought I'd pop into EQ to just see what it was like.

Mind you I haven't played in almost a year. For the last several months my limited gaming time has been taken up playing Dark Age of Camelot. I didn't want to embarass myself by having people brand my level 60 enchanter Ebayed because I couldn't remember simple game mechanic! I'm not ready to reactivate my accounts yet, not till we find out how much the move is going to cost us, but we have one account still active, so I thought I'd start there.

I logged on and began by creating a new character. I picked a monk for god only knows what reason. I don't have Luclin yet, or I might have picked something more exotic. But, I just poured all my points into Stamina and away I went.

Over the course of the next two hours Alc proved he is a Saint. Even after the 50th time of me going "Do you remember how to 'x'?" He patiently answered every one. Lola however proved to be the uncaring hussy she is cause she eventually stopped answering my desperate tells! I had important things I needed answered like... "How do I appeal again? This stupid guy named Guard Jacsen is stealing my kills!"

I found myself constantly trying to do things the way I did them in DAoC and eventually gave up and changed my key mappings so I wouldn't keep hitting autoattack when I meant to con something. ;)

God! Leveling takes soooo long, how did I ever stand 60 levels of this? I finally made it to three, but only through sheer determination and the witty conversation supplied by Vinilaa! Lola, once again was no help at all!

Gradually things started coming back and I began to remember how to play a bit more. I figure I'll take my little level 3 out a few more times before I attempt anything tougher!

Playing again was very odd. In many ways it was like I never left. I accidentally zoned into K-Mart..errr East Commons and I heard item after item for sale that I remembered clearly with only a few new unfamiliar ones. But on the other hand my extended time in DAoC has definately left it's mark on my play. This is going to take a lot of effort to get back into this.

I'll keep you posted on the re-education of an ex-EQ player. I am sure you are dying to know how it goes! Of course if you play with me at this stage, you really will be dying. :rolleyes:

Lola
03-06-2002, 07:16 AM
GRRRrrrrr!

Vinilaa
03-06-2002, 08:04 AM
Yay Storme!

Vinilaa > Lola

Phaera
03-06-2002, 08:08 AM
Rofl :D

Storme
03-06-2002, 08:22 AM
I looked for the lovely Phaera but she did not seem to be around! Maybe on my next sojurn into the sordid town of Freeport I will be able to pass the time with sistah talk!

Phaera
03-06-2002, 08:57 AM
My EQ time has been kinda...crappy.. lately. Taking a semi break and all that good stuff; but I should be back soon.

Zappo
03-06-2002, 08:59 AM
-=o

Buazag Bonesteel
03-06-2002, 09:02 AM
Yes Lola is a hussy....but in a good way :D

Storme
03-06-2002, 09:25 AM
Did she promise to marry you too?

She talks about how she serves the Goddess of Love...uh huh..we know what kind of serving she does!

Cardinal
03-06-2002, 10:49 AM
Lola is just a Hussy ....

Scrith
03-06-2002, 01:02 PM
Hiya Storme!

I also took a year off and recently returned to EQ (about a month and a half ago). During my time off I played Anarchy Online (got a char to level 80 or so), Dark Age of Camelot (lvl 20 Paladin), Diablo 2 expansion, Pools of Radiance 2, Tribes 2, etc.

Coming back was definitely a challenge, especially remembering all the keys, and the nuances of using my various weapons, skills, and spells. And, on top of that, there were several changes to the Paladin spell set and fighting capabilities (improved 2-handers) that had me re-thinking the character I had stopped playing. Luckily, all the improvements Verant made are for the better (which is unusual, especially when it comes to my class).

One of the toughest things about coming back was having no guild (Seekers had broken up), which is just a very strange thing for me since I've had a steady stream of guildchat going on while playing EQ since I was lvl 40 or so. Luckily, I've been able to spend time with Hoss, which is an incredibly friendly and helpful group of people. You, of course, don't need to worry about that though!

Another tough thing was coming back and realizing that I'm never going to be elite again, somebody who is pushing the envelope for what their class is doing and what equipment they are using. In some ways this is a relief...there's no burden of constantly feeling the need upgrade myself and spend every waking moment playing the game. Still, seeing that all the equipment I had worked so long and hard for was obsolete was very discouraging, though I've had tremendous good fortune in building towards a more up-to-date set of items with Hoss, which helps a lot. Thanks guys!

Well good luck on your return Storme, and don't get frustrated trying to catch up in AA points to all these crazy people...just have fun; there's plenty of it still left in EQ, which is a testimony to what a great game it is.

Rolist
03-06-2002, 01:33 PM
Hi Storme, welcome back!

I also just returned to EQ from a lengthy eight month absence. I really had to get away from EQ to get my life on track, it was just too much of a distraction at the time. Now I've got my feet on the ground and am doing pretty well for myself. I always planned on returning to the game, but the question was when.

I was afraid for awhile that if I came back, I wouldn't be accepted by the guild and the people I knew before I left. Fortunately, I must thank all of Hoss for making my return as pleasant as it has been, even though much has changed in the game. I know I'm a fairly quiet member of the guild, but being in Hoss really means a great deal to a long time EQ player like myself. Thanks guys :).

I had a lot to learn when I came back as well. I wasn't as rusty as I thought I'd be after the long lay off, but Luclin provided a lot of new things to learn; new spells, new zones, new abilities, and new challenges. I'm finally getting to know my way around the new expansion, thanks to on-line maps and my dumb questions being answered by my guildmates.

Well, thanks to all my guildmates in Hoss for accepting me back, and I look forward to seeing you in Norrath, Storme!

Obudan
03-06-2002, 05:18 PM
Need more Erudites!

Phaera
03-06-2002, 06:03 PM
YESH!

Karendra
03-06-2002, 07:41 PM
we all know erudites stink!

Storme
03-07-2002, 06:02 AM
This from a Barbarian???