PDA

View Full Version : Rift

Pages : [1] 2

Wresh
12-08-2010, 09:24 AM
I know you all are grinding up to 85 atm (good luck btw!), but I thought I'd post this video of Rift. Gotta say, this game looks really nice. 1st Q release date is planned.

Video - http://www.riftgame.com/en/video/featured-rift-video-v5.html

Website - http://www.riftgame.com/en/

Lonskils
12-08-2010, 03:13 PM
WAAAAAY COOL looking, just signed up for Beta. Please don't let this be disappointing. It looks awesome.

Wresh
12-08-2010, 07:07 PM
WAAAAAY COOL looking, just signed up for Beta. Please don't let this be disappointing. It looks awesome.

Completely agree...I also signed up for the beta today.

Aindayen
12-08-2010, 10:53 PM
It's a great looking game.

Being able to ride monkey may have pushed it over the top for me!

Ain

Ktul
12-09-2010, 12:09 PM
wow that is nice :Omg:

I just applied for Beta too. Guess it's time for a new system overhaul =p

Lonskils
12-11-2010, 01:49 AM
Yeah I searched all over for system specs they want and cannot find it. Not a good sign.

Gheltire
12-11-2010, 03:07 PM
hrm

registered. Like the multiple skill sets you can create, kinda like black ops I suppose. But now the hybrid set (like me!) doesnt have to worry about swapping around or respeccing or whatever, you just click and get utility.

wonder what the timesink is though:P Ive done good on avoiding timesinks the past year or two but im itching

Ktul
12-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Yeah I searched all over for system specs they want and cannot find it. Not a good sign.

I saw a post on the forum about specs that was put out about a week ago. Go to forums and search system requirements....it's actually a lot lower than I expected.

Wresh
12-12-2010, 08:18 AM
http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?7166-Rift-System-Specs&highlight=system+requirements (http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?7166-Rift-System-Specs&highlight=system+requirements)

http://forums.hossguild.org/images/icons/icon1.gif Rift System Specs

Today, we are releasing the system requirements for Rift. Here is the official information:

Minimum System Specification
Operating system: Windows XP, Vista or 7
Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or better
Memory: 2 GB
Hard disk space: 8.0 GB available
Video: Nvidia GeForce FX 5900, ATI/AMD Radeon X300, Intel GMA X4500 or better.
Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem or other high speed connection)

Recommended System Specification
Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or better
Memory: 4 GB
Desktop Video: Nvidia GTS 250 or better
Notebook Video: Nvidia GTX 200M series or better

Ktul
12-12-2010, 08:18 AM
http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?7166-Rift-System-Specs&highlight=system+requirements

Today, we are releasing the system requirements for Rift. Here is the official information:

Minimum System Specification
Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or better
Memory: 2 GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce FX 5900, ATI/AMD Radeon X300, Intel GMA X4500 or better.

Recommended System Specification
Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or better
Memory: 4 GB
Desktop Video: Nvidia GTS 250 or better
Notebook Video: Nvidia GTX 200M series or better

Ktul
12-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Lol

Wresh
12-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Beat ya by about 30 seconds on that one Ktul..lol

Lonskils
12-12-2010, 12:06 PM
I've got that in spades. Here is to hoping for a beta invite.

Wresh
12-13-2010, 05:31 AM
Looks like if you follow them on Twitter, they give a Beta key out on a daily basis...but you have to be quick. The key they give out is only good for 5 people. Here is an example of what they post (remember....be fast!!)

From Twitter---

That's it for codes tonight, but we will be giving out some more next week before the next event starts! ^Zann 6:50 PM Dec 10th (http://twitter.com/Riftgame/status/13425238960246784) via CoTweet (http://cotweet.com/?utm_source=sp1)

<LI id=status_13424737380212736 class="hentry u-Riftgame status">The first 5 accounts to redeem ckv5znrckv6gdz2rjety get VIP Beta. (Must be 18+, additional terms apply) ^Zann 6:48 PM Dec 10th (http://twitter.com/Riftgame/status/13424737380212736) via CoTweet (http://cotweet.com/?utm_source=sp1)

Wresh
12-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Between last night and early this morning, they posted 12 VIP beta keys on Twitter (good for 5 accounts).

So if you want to get into the next phase of their beta, watch Twitter closely and as soon as they post a new key copy/paste into your account on www.riftgame.com (http://www.riftgame.com). Each key they post is only good for the 1st 5 people that post it and after that it becomes invalid.

Good luck!

Wresh
12-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Found a German site that is giving away 480 VIP codes right now, so if you want one register here (http://www.buffed.de/Rift-Planes-of-Telara-PC-231664/News/Rift-Gewinnt-einen-von-480-VIP-Keys-und-5000-Standard-Keys-fuer-Beta-Events-804054/) and follow through it and you will get a VIP code emailed to ya. I did it earlier and it worked just fine. Even if you don't know German (like me), you can muddle your way through it.

Took about 35 seconds to fill out their registration, get the email to activate my account, and plug in the code (once emailed to me..almost an immediate email once you ask for the beta key).

Beelzebubs
12-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Done my VIP thing from the german site, where do I download the client.

Wresh
12-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Once you get a VIP code attached to your account, you will receive an email (from everything I see it should be Wednesday/Thursday this week).

The email will direct us where to go to download the client. As soon as I see mine, I will let you know (so you can look for yours as well). :)

Maegwin
12-14-2010, 11:15 AM
It looks nice, but this thing was tried (if I understand it correctly).

Does anyone remember that MMO called "Horizons", which was later renamed to "Istaria"?, that was all about Dragons? It touted itself as the first MMO where you could PLAY as a dragon. It had really grandiose ideas about taking forever to level as a Dragon because you were an ancient, etc. Then players would hunt you for your treasure horde, etc.

Then they had this (and this is where I see the similarities) thing where NPC factions would actually advance methodically across the world map and attack established player cities and outposts and if not defended they could destroy them entirely. That sounds a lot like these "rifts" that spawn randomly and spawn NPCs that attack player cities, which you have to defend, or you log on later and find that it's been overrun, etc.

Well, long story short. That game failed miserably, and the features were toned down and toned down until something realistic was actually implemented. I guess I'm a skeptic.

Wresh
12-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Every MMO has a chance of failing, and it sucks to spend $60 on a game plus the monthly subscription fee only to find out it doesn't meet your expectations or the content is not up to par for what you wish to do in a game ("cough" "cough" Conan...Best MMO up until level 20, after that...pure garbage).

WoW is the standard in how companies go forward with MMO's right now, but eventually another game will come around to de-throne WoW. Will it be this one? Maybe SWToR? Possibly, but it may take another 1-2 years before a game is ready to go head-to-head against WoW.

I hope it does do good. I am ready for a new game and a new world(s) to explore.

Lonskils
12-14-2010, 05:08 PM
I can't get the register for vip thingy to work when I click it.

Wresh
12-14-2010, 05:28 PM
I just used the register button at the top of the main page.

Wresh
12-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Just got my beta invite too. Downloading it now.

Lonskils
12-14-2010, 05:57 PM
register to the site? Confused!

Wresh
12-14-2010, 06:10 PM
register to the site? Confused!

Top right side of screen, click the Registrieren (Register) and go through the registration. Pretty easy, it is an account/logon name, screen name, password (repeat on the box to the right), an email (repeat to the box on the right), then click the box for accepting terms.

Wait for an email from them asking you to verify the account (just click on the long link in the email), then go back to the site I linked here, log in and click on the beta key give away.
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> toggleLogin('login_list'); if (!document.getElementById('loginError')) { toggleLogin('login_list'); } </SCRIPT>

Lonskils
12-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Alright, have attached everything. Waiting on how to download client now. Excited!

Lonskils
12-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Still don't know how to download client...

Wresh
12-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Still don't know how to download client...

Once you get the email from them telling you that you have been invited into the beta, they will tell you how to dload the client, but it is really easy. When you go to www.riftgame.com (http://www.riftgame.com) and login to your account, you will see a EULA agreement to "read" (scroll to the bottom). Once you agree to their terms, there will then be a new link to download the client. This link will replace the link you clicked on to agree to the EULA terms.

The initial client took about 2 minutes to download and install. Patching took about 2 hours (6.8GB).

Aindayen
12-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Every MMO has a chance of failing, and it sucks to spend $60 on a game plus the monthly subscription fee only to find out it doesn't meet your expectations or the content is not up to par for what you wish to do in a game ("cough" "cough" Conan...Best MMO up until level 20, after that...pure garbage).

WoW is the standard in how companies go forward with MMO's right now, but eventually another game will come around to de-throne WoW. Will it be this one? Maybe SWToR? Possibly, but it may take another 1-2 years before a game is ready to go head-to-head against WoW.

I hope it does do good. I am ready for a new game and a new world(s) to explore.

Dunno Wresh. I'm pretty impressed with Cata's content so far. I'm very much looking forward to raiding it. All in all the best I've seen yet from Blizzard imho.

I do agree eventually it will fall but I don't think it's nearly ready for that.

Ain

Wresh
12-17-2010, 02:31 PM
The new beta event started today at 10am pst.

I was able to get on once I got home at about 11am pst, and started a warrior (go figure right??)

The game is really pretty. The controls, movement, UI will remind you of a mix between EQ and WoW (remember in the video I posted they claim to have taken the best from other mmo's and incorporated it into Rift). I played for about 2-2 1/2 hours and the only time I had any fps slow down was when a full invasion force came at us and we had to fight them back. Even then on my machine, I was running at about 18 fps.

They have about 8-10 servers up right now and they are maxing out the populations on all of them for stress tests, but I see no server issues on handling full pop's right now and I have no clue on what their max server pop is.

Still taking in the game a bit and will play more later. I will post more on the game as I play more (if anyone else gets into beta, please feel free to post on things before I do). I will be trying their crafting system later once I log back on since they are only letting us play up to level 20 right now on testing (after about 2 hours I am already level 10, so getting to 20 shouldn't take too long).

Lonskils
12-18-2010, 12:35 AM
I still haven't gotten an email, sigh

Ktul
12-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Me either =/

Wresh
12-20-2010, 08:37 AM
The weekend event for their beta/marketing event is over.

The game is VERY wow'ish. Even the UI looks like the WoW UI in many ways.

Controls - I knew almost at the start what every command was w/o opening the key bind section. It is almost identical to WoW. Which for wow players, they will find it very familiar. They even allow for making macros, which I know many of you enjoy doing.

Combat - Again, very WoW like. I played a warrior class, mage class and cleric class this past weekend.

Warriors use abilities to gain combo points (much like rogues/feral druids in WoW do), then get to use those points for major attacks (they even get an execute when the mob health is below 30%, but using this attack requires combo points to use).

Mages get a "magic focus bar" (not sure what they called it) and as this bar fills up with spell casting (think rage on warriors in WoW) their spells hit harder. You must balance the cost of mana with this bar in fights. I am not sure who replenishes mana in this game, but it will be needed.

Clerics (I only played for a short time) are of course the healers of the game. Since I only played one for 4-6 levels, I cannot really comment on them.

Rogues is the one class I did not try at all. I did however group with a couple and they put out some nice damage and their stealth ability is always a nice component.

The 4 above "classes" are mere base classes. Each "class" gets souls (which is their sub-class) and gets skill trees for each soul. For example, a warrior can be any 3 of the following - Champion, Reaver, Paladin, Warlord or Paragon. You can choose all of your skill points in 1 tree to max out that particular sub class, or you can be a "jack of all trades" and take something from each one. It all depends on your play style. This weekend did not give me enough insight to know for sure which is better, but if I were to guess...It would be better to take all in one tree using the base passive buffs of the other souls to help improve you.

They will also allow multi-specs. Meaning you can be a Paladin one second, but then swap over to a Warlord (for example). Not sure when or where this will come in handy, but I am sure there will be spots where this will be needed.

There is no equipment degrading in this game (odd...very odd), but instead your soul degrades everytime you die. The only way to repair your soul is to visit a healer (which for the most part are standing there at the rez point). It is not expensive to repair your soul at lower levels, but the cost increases as you level up.

The main event they tested was on Saturday night, when they spawned about 15 life rifts all at once around one of the main settlements. The rifts crashed on them the 1st time, then the dev's sent a system wide message that read "Well, that didn't go as planned. Let's try this again." lol... All worked the 2nd time and we had about 300'ish players defending the settlement. We eventually won, but it was not easy (I am sure they let us win).

Lonskils
12-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Sounds amazing. As far as the commands go. They are all MUDD commands for the most part anyway. WoW's commands were almost identical to EQ. What will do this in or make it is the quest system, trade skill system, and groups/raiding systems. Personally, if you make a game beautiful and hardish it will attract hard core. Hard Core will attract casuals. Don't put a mall in it or if you do don't make it so anyone can buy anything that is worth a fuck or the whole game is shit after that imo. Lot of games are putting malls in these days. It's just a money grab and no one can seriously play when there are folks that can just go buy whatever they want. I look forward to playing this game. Even if I have to upgrade my puter to do so.

Wresh
12-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Their trade skills need some work (quite a lot of people are telling them to re-vamp it) and I personally won't know about the other stuff until future beta events. I want to see what PvP/normal instances/raids will be like in this game.

As I stated previously the class system is really unique and for everything I mentioned above it can really make them alot of fun.

Here is a list of the classes and their roles in raids. As you can see, there is a WIDE selection of what you can do in each class.

Wresh
12-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Rift Third Closed Beta Announced, Beta NDA Lifted 8 hours 55 minutes ago by Togikagi (http://forums.hossguild.org/users/Togikagi)

The third Rift closed beta event will be held from Dec. 28-31! Also, you're now allowed to discuss your experiences in the Rift closed beta events.

Trion Worlds just announced that the third Rift closed beta event, "Enter the Rift," will begin on Dec. 28 at 10 a.m. PST and run through Dec. 31 at 10 a.m. Players will be able to create a character from either the Guardian or Defiant factions and play through the first 20 levels of content.
In addition, the non-disclosure agreement for the closed beta officially lifted today! Beta participants are now allowed to share their experiences regarding the closed beta events. So what are your thoughts on Rift? Let us know!
Do you want to participate in the third closed beta event? We're still giving away VIP keys (http://rift.zam.com/story.html?story=24181) that will grant you entry into every Rift beta event, and all you need to do is contribute in our Rift forums (http://rift.zam.com/forum.html?cat=221). Winners are selected based on their activity on our new Rift site (http://rift.zam.com/), so keep posting in our forums and commenting on our articles!

I guess if you want an invite into the beta event you need to not only get a beta key but make a post or two on the forums.. /shrug

Try posting something in the next few days and see if you all get an invite into the beta next week (I am sure invites will be out by Monday).

Phaera
12-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Got a beta invite today. Figure I'll give it a go tomorrow once it's up. :)

Wresh
12-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Nice.

I am going defiant this time around, but not sure what server I will be on. Since I will be at work during the day, let me know what server you hop onto and I will meet up with you (and anyone else that gets in) online (if you all decide to go Defiant as well).

Lonskils
12-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Downloading now myself :)

Wresh
12-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Sweet.

Make sure you two have your video cards up to date (game will tell you they are out of date if they are).

See ya in the beta tomorrow.

Wresh
12-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Looks like the Belmont server is where some people I know will be going. I believe some of them will be going Guardian and the others Defiant (nice to beta test both sides to discuss later on which might be better for social reasons).

They are a guild of players that got like 40-50 beta keys. Of course if we all go there we won't have to join them if we choose not too, but it is an option if you want to.

Zephyrae
12-28-2010, 12:11 PM

totally agree. i might just have to give this a try :)

Lonskils
12-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Meh, I was expecting a lot more polish. It's jerky at times and very laggy if there is more than a few players around. The mage class players exactly like WoW. Same armors, Same spells basically. It isn't awful. But they need to work on this a little more for it to pull anyone from wow.

Elidroth
12-29-2010, 11:02 PM
I've tried it out and while there's some nice stuff.. it really isn't going to be pulling me away from anything.

Parak
01-10-2011, 09:18 AM
I played the beta last weekend - not bad. Certainly very stable with all the basics nailed down, more so than anything else that I've played a beta of. I do feel like it could use some extra stuff aside from rift and class system, both of which are pretty fun. There is still a month and a half worth of beta left, so I'll be watching to see what kind of changes they'll make. The development team is great, can't complain there. I might still give it a go on release provided that a few other people I know from here and elsewhere pick it up :p

Stosh
01-22-2011, 12:28 AM
I have a 25 person VIP key if anybody wants to be in the beta:

7PRP-GT3X-PLQ9-6LFP-9P7P

First 10 levels are reminiscent of WoW, you have to get past the newbie levels before the game starts to differ. Beta restarts Tuesday the 25th at 10am.

Zappo
01-24-2011, 05:09 PM
yoink!
I totes used the code posted. totes is still cool to say, right?

Phaera
01-24-2011, 09:08 PM
I've got one for 25 people apparently. Don't think I'm going to invest much time into it unless they've changed a lot.

Syana
01-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Tried Age of Conan... Fail

Tried Warhammer... Fail

Even if this game rivals wow, there is no reason to switch unless the guild or the raid team migrates.

Most of us know how the migration from EQ to Wow went... or didn't.

Kikiyo
01-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Yeah, even if it looks really nice, Rift still will have a very hard time making me change. Even SW:tOR will be hard pressed to make me switch.

Parak
01-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Most of us know how the migration from EQ to Wow went... or didn't.

Well yeah, that didn't work well as it was EQ -> DAoC -> WoW :D

Lonskils
01-26-2011, 02:27 AM
Well yeah, that didn't work well as it was EQ -> DAoC -> WoW :D

Yeah, ummm Hoss on Uther really never did shit either. IF we'd worked together back then Hoss may have been a lot different today. Oh the humanity.

Widespreadd Panic
01-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Most of the ones of us who were in Uther Hoss ended up with Reign or Ascendance or left the game; but you have to remember most of the Hoss who were on Uther constantly played new games together and did not stick to just one.

Allara
01-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Got in for beta 5 and have a level 11 ranger at the moment. (Allara on Belmont. No weird accent characters. This isn't WoW.)

Wresh has been helping me out -- thanks mang. So far I'm enjoying the game. But I am wondering one thing primarily -- I had thought you could change your mind on your "souls". I'm actually wanting to dump one of my souls and change it out for a different one. So I purchased a second "role", but that's just your second spec. Is it possible to change your souls? Can you even mix and match more than 3 souls between your 4 specs? This game would seriously rock if so. I'd understand if it only happens in later levels, but I think I chose badly on my second soul decision.

I'll probably level a bit higher before deciding on the preorder, but I'm leaning toward it simply because it's not WoW. I need a new world.

Aindayen
01-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Meh to not raid as Hoss initially was a decision everyone made from top to bottom. Friends stuck together on all servers, and I'm glad many are flying under the same server/guild name again.

Hard to speculate if we would have transitioned everyone with the same focus from day 1. Not sure everyone is able to give that these days.

Ain

Parak
01-28-2011, 12:11 AM
You can reset points in a role for moneys. Any soul that has 0 points invested in it can be swapped out for another. You can get quests for the other 5 souls at around level 13, and there will be additional ones later (pvp soul is one of those).

Zeyla
01-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Started up a character on the Belmont server, Zeyla.

So far I am liking it, the dynamic rifts/content thing sounds interesting. The controls/interface feel very familiar for the WoW player, no doubt.

Thanks for the VIP key Stosh!

Zappo
01-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Coming from EQ2, what I like about the game is that there are only 4 classes. I really expect everyone to end up with very similar specs and people will flop between roles as needed.

I like the bard class (I know i changed my definition of class from my 1st paragraph) but I'll probably lvl up as marksman/ranger

Wresh
01-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Anytime Allara. Sorry I wasn't online much for this beta....just had a lot to do.

For the next beta, I will be online more and if you guys want we can level up some toons and go run a dungeon or pvp some.

Glad to see a few more trying this game out. I think it has pretty good promise.

Allara
01-30-2011, 11:01 AM
I made it to 20 before the beta ended and preordered, so I'll be around for the next ones and for head start. Looking forward to it!

Rennys
02-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Fudge, it's PC only and I'm way too lazy to install Boot Camp on my mac.

Wresh
02-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Was told the final "Alpha" event is going on now. Not sure how people get into it, but 1 friend of mine got into it for pre-ordering (I think)....but his son who also pre-ordered the game didn't.

Looks like the jump-start of the game for those who pre-order starts Feb. 24th'ish (I think)?? and the game goes live on March 1st for everyone else.

Allara
02-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Yeah the head start is Feb 24. Next beta is this Friday Feb 4-7, final beta is Feb 15-21.

I too wish they had a Mac port, but I imagine they won't do that until they achieve some critical mass on subscribers.

Stosh
02-05-2011, 01:52 AM
Which side on Belmont? Just made a "good" character, since it was the only side that had a short race.

Wresh
02-05-2011, 01:56 PM
We are on Defiant side Stosh. Zeyla, Allara and I are on right now if you want to come over.

Stosh
02-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Wow, there's a queue.

Wresh
02-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Ya, there is. They already need more servers..lol.

Hoss has been created on Belmont (hope it is ok with everyone that I did that). Zeyla, Allara, Sutlro (RL friend), Pethella (Sultro's son) and myself are in it right now. Everyone is Oiffcer or higher for learning the guild management stuff. Quite a bit of stuff you can do.

So if anyone gets online, send someone a tell in game and we will get you in Hoss ASAP.

Stosh
02-05-2011, 02:54 PM
And the server goes down...

Parak
02-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Server goes up, server goes down. Never a miscommunication.

Kikiyo
02-05-2011, 09:45 PM
I've been playing it a little bit. On Belmont, lvl 5 Sasami cleric healer. I think the concept is really interesting, especially their soul(specs) system. Really allows a shitton of customization of your class. There is always cookie cutter builds, but with 8 different trees for your class and you can use 3 at a time. That allows lots of variety. Even so, the game is basically WoW 2.0 or EQ 50.0 or whatever. It takes from the best and makes something out of it. It's too similiar to WoW at this point that I'm still trying to justify playing the game when it comes out. It does look really pretty though and seems really interesting storywise.

Allara
02-05-2011, 10:30 PM
I was talking with Zeyla about this today, but one of the things I like about it is the imminent danger. I'm used to basically being invincible in WoW. Rift requires me to be extremely careful with pulls and stuff. If I get 3 mobs, I'm gonna die, maybe repeatedly. Sorta takes me back to EQ a little bit, in a good way. Had some people over today so I couldn't play that much, hopefully hit it more tomorrow.

Stosh
02-05-2011, 10:56 PM
I made it to level 10 as some bard/ranger/riftseeker combo despite having the flu and feeling like shit. They stole some good ideas from Warhammer and improved them, aka the "public quests" which is good. There's a lot of EQ in there, since several of the devs were original EQ guys. I'm only level 10, but the multi-class thing is going to take some time to grow on me. I'm having a tough time embracing my class since I don't really feel like a particular class and there are so many soul and spec options you can almost be all things at the drop of a hat. I'm only level 10 and already I have a ridiculous amount of abilities. It's starting to feel like EQ2 where literally you have 40 different abilities on your bars. My dirge in EQ2 had nine buffs to recast each time I died, and something like 15 single target damage spells, 4 different AE spells plus a dozen various specialty spells.

I preordered, mainly to get into the beta, but I'm starting to wonder if I just donated another $60 to my failed collection of MMO games.

Allara
02-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Totally agree about having too many abilities. I don't know if I'm "doing it wrong", but I just ignore most of the abilities and pick 4 of them for my rotation (couple openers, filler, finisher), and I only have one buff. I put as many points as possible into my main soul (ranger), and fill the rest in one other soul. The third soul gets 0 points and I only use the freebie skills it has (this is common in Rift). I definitely think this game is overkill for anyone new to MMOs, but the flexibility has me intrigued. I suspect once people get to max level and theorycraft the cookie cutters, things will shake out to be similar to every other MMO (only one right way to do things). But I don't intend to get into hardcore raiding anyway, so I don't particularly care I guess. I figure if it provides me with a few months of entertainment, it was worth the entrance fee. Kudos to you Stosh for surviving Aion as long as you did...

Widespreadd Panic
02-06-2011, 06:44 AM
ive been screwing around with it off and on. The enviromental graphics look awesome on ultra and the game appears to have no lag at allso far. I like being able to combine the different souls within a class; it can lead to some pretty cool combos. The character animations, like jumping, the running, kind of look like crap though. I plan to mess around with their trades today.

Edit: o ya, i really how they have built in UI editing without using mods to do such things. Can customize pretty much everything.

Wresh
02-06-2011, 07:21 AM
I agree with Allara on the rotation issue. I use 3-4 abil's for one on one fighting then swap to using 2 different ones when i get into fights with 2+ mobs. Being a champion class I am able to hit multiple targets at once to build up combo points then use a finishing move to hit them all again.

Again, we have a guild up and running so if/when someone is on that is in it (do a /who Hoss just like in wow)....and we will get you in and promoted to officer or above so we can all play with guild management junk.

Lonskils
02-06-2011, 09:57 AM
From what I could tell, yes you got all these abilities, but depending on what path you were going down, some were more powerful than others so the other spells you were getting along the way that you weren't speked into weren't as powerful. So I didn't see anything wrong with using 3 or 4 abilities.

Kikiyo
02-06-2011, 11:47 AM
The public fights for Rifts are really fun I find. Would be awesome if they did this for WoW. Like the elemental fights of the pre-cata events in Wrath. Except they are actually important instead of just for the achievement.

Lonskils
02-06-2011, 06:17 PM
The World Dragons used to be huge pvp hate fests. It was crazy.

Widespreadd Panic
02-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Defending the Rifts is kind of fun. Its cool that defending it has a greater purpose.

Kikiyo
02-07-2011, 07:47 AM
I'll wait until the next beta event to decide if I will buy the game and play it on the weekends. As of right now, it's really fun, but it's not to the point where I can justify spending 15 bucks a month on a game. I'm only lvl 13 before this round of the beta ended, but the world events were by far the best part of the game for me with the class customization a close second. How are the dungeons and some of the late game stuff? Anyone have any insight and oponions on it?

Wresh
02-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Allara and I briefly talked about guild perks in this game. Not sure if they will change them at all before release, but after looking through them a little further I do agree it is a little lacking. Knowing how Rift is with changes right now and how good their Dev's seem to be on making things work well, I can see these changing some before release.

Also, I am not sure if some of you have played around with a talent calculator yet, but if you go here (http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html) it has a nice one for you to play with.

Remember, you can have 4 roles (3 souls per role). So it leaves it pretty much open to be anything you want to be in this game in a given class. I am still reading up on gear changes once you change roles, but from what I see so far.....gear doesn't matter "too" much. If you go from a dps warrior to a tank (for example), you will need a 1 handed weapon and shield (unless you go void knight, then you don't need or use a shield).....but other than that is seems to be all talent driven so gear isn't the end all be all of importance to be able to be effective in a role.

Allara
02-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Rogues can wear shields. So for me to switch to a tank is just changing specs I think. My gear is already pretty endurance-heavy.

Wresh
02-07-2011, 09:56 AM
I am sure you can't use them, but you will need some type of sword and/or dagger...possibly duel wield?? Not sure though, you might want to look into it.

Allara
02-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Yeah I already dual wield some melee weapons, I try to keep them up to date as I get them via quest rewards.

Zeyla
02-07-2011, 10:39 AM
The World Dragons used to be huge pvp hate fests. It was crazy.

Green Dragons are up! Everyone MOBILIZE!

I am still on the fence about this game. One more round in the beta should help me decide. Hopefully I'll get to play more on the last beta round, this last one just fell on a busy weekend.

Domathoine
02-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Haven't kept up on the thread, but I'm part of an officer core on Deepstrike (Defiant side) if any of you are looking for a guild. Not sure what//where everyone is playing, but keep me in mind if you're around. Would love to see some old faces.

Wresh
02-08-2011, 08:03 AM
If most of the people trying out the game want to get on one server that'd be cool. If Fir and the other O's didn't mind, we could even use the Hoss tag in the game.

@ Doma - Not sure what shard/server we will be on right now. Some of us said keep Belmont, but I personally don't care one way or another. As long as all of us are on one server it'd be fine imo.

Unless we get alot of people coming over to Rift, I wouldn't mind just staying a small casual guild. Maybe once we get to max level we can ally ourselves with another small guild and do a few raids or pvp.

I know personally I only want to play 3-4 times a week for 1-2 hours at a time. I've paid my dues into a timesink of a game (thank you WoW!!) and I am just ready for some fun when I want to have it.....not be on a 4-5 day a week schedule of having to show up for raids or events.

Thoughts on this guys/gals?

Allara
02-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Agree completely with Wresh regarding the casual intent. I would like to carry the Hoss tag forward into Rift if everyone agrees on a server. I don't think there's particularly any reason to choose one over another as long as it's the PvE ruleset. I do want to stay Defiant (although I admittedly haven't tried Guardian yet, I much prefer the technology-leaning storyline).

Stosh
02-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Well, if PVP is your goal then the recent history of PVP MMOs shows being on the "evil" side is a bad idea. Many of the "good" PVP guilds ended up choosing the good side, because they know that the majority of retards will choose "evil". It happened in Warhammer and Aion and I would be shocked if it didn't happen on Rift PVP servers. It's pretty much the WoW effect of horde side generally being better at PVP, so all the bad alliance PVPers switch sides hoping to be the new "horde".

Widespreadd Panic
02-10-2011, 12:08 PM
I have read about of people stating its similarities to world of warcraft on a lot of forums and how its just a wow clone. Sure it has some things like wow, like talents and a few ui components; but after my time spent in it, it reminds me more of Dark Age of Camelot and Everquest blended together.

Domathoine
02-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Calling the game a WoW clone is a huge disservice, imo.

Torrid
02-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Calling the game a WoW clone is a huge disservice, imo.

Sure. To WoW. Of course, calling WoW a MMORPG is a disservice to MMORPGs.

Parak
02-11-2011, 07:38 AM
A wild Torrid appears?

Aindayen
02-12-2011, 02:43 AM
He's alive!

Ain

Allara
02-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Can't remember if anyone said it yet in this thread, but the upcoming final Rift beta event is open to anybody. It starts at 10 AM PST this Tuesday, and runs until 10 AM the following Monday. They're also running a drawing for some free video cards for anyone who defeats a dungeon boss (hey Wresh, let's do that :p)

Widespreadd Panic
02-12-2011, 05:59 PM
I like the fact that true support classes exist in the game, such as Bards, Dominators (Enchanters), Archons (Debuffers), etc.. There are so many different roles, buffs, debuffs etc that could create endless combinations in a raid and being able to change into many of them within your class on one character is cool. The focus is not at all the number game that world of warcraft has created. It gives people the chance to find that perfect nitch that they enjoy covering in a game; to me it introduces back the old role playing game style.

I also like the fact that player made add ons are not allowed at all. People will have to rely on their own awareness.

Parak
02-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Anyone set on playing? It's looking increasingly likely that I will, and I'd be up for teaming up on same server, especially since raids will be 20 man for a while :o

Wresh
02-13-2011, 07:16 AM
Can't remember if anyone said it yet in this thread, but the upcoming final Rift beta event is open to anybody. It starts at 10 AM PST this Tuesday, and runs until 10 AM the following Monday. They're also running a drawing for some free video cards for anyone who defeats a dungeon boss (hey Wresh, let's do that :p)

I'll be down for a dungeon or 2....or 3. :)

Allara
02-13-2011, 12:07 PM
I'll be down for a dungeon or 2....or 3. :)

Kewl. I think I mostly caught up to you -- ended up at level 26 I think. Haven't done any dungeons yet and have never tried tanking in this game. Dunno if I should or not. I'll look into what the best soul combo is for it.

Wresh
02-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Ya, I think you did catch up to me as well. I think I logged off about 1/2 way to 28 (I think).

Up to you on the tanking thing.

Allara
02-14-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm going to work on a Riftstalker build (tank) for my second role. We'll see how it goes.

Allara
02-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Lol the thread I started about rogue tanking builds is up to 4 pages and counting... Everyone is arguing about it.

Allara
02-15-2011, 01:24 PM

Bakana
02-15-2011, 01:54 PM
A couple of us are gonna be on Tearfall for the open Beta because we prefer PvP servers so if anyone is making Defiant thats where we shall be

Zeyla
02-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Got booted off the server just now (Belmont), went back in a few mins later and they wiped our chars? I didn't think they were wiping them until the end of the beta, could be just a temp glitch too. Anyone else on Belmont able to confirm this?

Z

Allara
02-15-2011, 04:08 PM
http://fb.me/t4ZRZP2j

Wresh
02-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Just tried logging back in and Belmont has a 160+ Que....so I won't be back on tonight.....see you guys in game tomorrow.

Allara
02-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Ding 28. I'm part way through the Darkfire Grove section in Scarlet Gorge. I think that's almost exactly where you're at now Wresh? Maybe we should duo some tomorrow. I also have like 130 wool cloth if anyone else needs bags made.

Wresh
02-16-2011, 06:09 AM
Ya, before the servers crashed I had just dinged 29 2-3 quests prior so we are probably really close atm....Won't be able to play until after 5-6pm cst today....Rift doesn't play well on my work computer, so I don't log in from there.

Let's see if we can't get a dungeon group going tonight. Zeyla? Where you at? If you are close to 18, we can backtrack and run Iron Tomb with you to get you some xp and have 3 of us in 1 group.

Allara
02-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Just encountered my first air rift, and it's pretty epic. It also kicked my ass in approx 0.5 seconds.

Wresh
02-16-2011, 12:04 PM
it also kicked my ass in approx 0.5 seconds.

lol

Zeyla
02-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Ya, before the servers crashed I had just dinged 29 2-3 quests prior so we are probably really close atm....Won't be able to play until after 5-6pm cst today....Rift doesn't play well on my work computer, so I don't log in from there.

Let's see if we can't get a dungeon group going tonight. Zeyla? Where you at? If you are close to 18, we can backtrack and run Iron Tomb with you to get you some xp and have 3 of us in 1 group.

I've got some time this afternoon, i should be able to make 18 easy. Just got all the souls for my healing build too, warlock/chloromancer/ forget the third one

Allara
02-16-2011, 01:25 PM
I'll tank for it, it'll be good to get some practice on a low level dungeon first.

Allara
02-16-2011, 03:10 PM
I had just dinged 29 2-3 quests prior so we are probably really close atm....

Ding 30, so I guess I'm past you a bit. Logged out for a bit, will be back later tonight, you can text me if you need me and I'll let you know.

Brutaal
02-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Zeyla, give it time, its just a glitch... it did it to me as well.. then i logged for a bit, came back and they were there again...

Allara
02-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Tonight I adventured in Trollblight Caverns (in Scarwood Reach). This was three levels above me, and the danger was imminent. I had to carefully plot every move. I couldn't handle more than one mob at a time or I was dead. The patrols were really tricky and I constantly had to have my eye on them. I also can't stress enough just how BIG the cave system is... and there are quests strewn throughout it. I haven't had this heightened a sense of danger probably since Everquest. That, and the graphics were pretty good.

Zeyla and I agreed that this is sort of like WoW on hard mode.

depen
02-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Couldn't get past character creation. Thought the races / models were really bland.

Wresh
02-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Couldn't get past character creation. Thought the races / models were really bland.

You should...I think you'd really like the way the world looks.

Allara
02-19-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm pretty much staying out of the game until headstart next Thursday, so I don't burn out on it. See you on Thursday!

Lonskils
02-20-2011, 02:15 AM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/570714/UI%20SS/2011-2-20_3548.jpg

I did a bit of the beta a couple months ago. Logged onto Rift tonight to see what was going on. The game is incredible, if you have the graphics card to put it on high and still move it is mind blowingly awesome. I was running around doing quests. I had logged out on Wolfsbane at lvl 7 and basically just mehed it back when I played it the first go around.

I quested a bit was up to lvl 12 and then rift events from Hell started. I was in a public raid group and went from 12 to 16 in 2 hours. The closest thing I can describe the rifted events to were EQ GM events. Both visually and esthetically amazing and although I do not get the gist yet of how the loot you get from them works. I think this is just amazing. I cannot say enough.

Of course I am a pyro mage duh.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/570714/UI%20SS/2011-2-20_3577.jpg

As I was standing there making a SS a Rift event starting happening right behind me heh...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/570714/UI%20SS/2011-2-20_35757.jpg

Domathoine
02-20-2011, 08:26 AM
You going to give this one a go Lons?

Wresh
02-20-2011, 09:16 AM
I guess the questions to all that are going to play Rift now is....

What shard are we going to play on? My feelings really have not changed on this...I personally don't care..pve/pvp as long as we are all together.

Are we going to create our own guild and recruit as we go? Or join an existing guild in game after a few days? I would like to see us have our own and bring people in that know we want to just be casual and have some fun. If some want to be full raiders...thats fine too.

I know Doma has a guild already, but I am sure they will be hardcore raiding and/or pvp. No offense to Doma, but if this is the case then I am pretty sure that style of play will not be one for most of the people playing this game right now.

I will probably not be able to be online at the start of the jumpstart (damn work!!), so I will leave it up to those who are going to play to let us know what shard you will be on and we will migrate there and start (or join) a guild.

Widespreadd Panic
02-20-2011, 09:57 AM
They have really cranked up the rifts over the past two days. They seem endless, when i was playing with a new class over the weekend. I have purposely never passed level 18, so I will not spoil myself for release; but I am very much looking forward to headstart on the 24th. No clue on my plans, other than I am Guardians for sure.

Lonskils
02-20-2011, 11:00 AM
I may Doma. I'm just not sure really yet where I would fit it in.

Allara
02-20-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure if the shard names have been finalized for launch yet. They said they would rename them. So we may have to wait to see. I personally want to be Defiant, and definitely on a PVE server, no exceptions on the PVE part for me personally. I vote do a Hoss guild at first, but if it turns out super empty, that won't be any fun. ;) For me, it will be casual although I'd like to at least see the raiding a bit. If it's basically WoW raiding, I probably won't do it much. My one big desire going forward with MMOs is to not be on any set schedule.

Andaas
02-20-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm planning on playing this casually as well, and will be starting with the headstart this week.

So let's figure out a shard, and it seems guardians is the faction of choice right?

Zappo
02-20-2011, 11:24 AM
/vote for pve server + guardians

Wresh
02-20-2011, 12:19 PM
So far we have...

Everyone looks like we want to go to a PvE server (name to be determined).

We also have.......

3 for Guardians (Zappo, Fir, WSP)

2 for Defiant (Allara, Wresh)

I did throw myself into the Defiant side mostly because of the story line, but if we can get everyone together then I really don't care..I know I will have fun either way.

Lons? Zeyla? Others? Which do you prefer?

Starting a guild is pretty cheap and we should be able to have one going on day one w/o a problem. Just like WoW you need to pay for it then get 5 signatures and it is started....My feelings are whoever is online together at the headstart get it going and add others as we log in...Leader/Officers/whatever can be figured out as we level up and move forward (unless someone "wants" to have the lead..lol)

****EDIT
There is more than enough room in the guild naming to use the full name of H.O.S.S. and not just use the abbrev. letters of what it really stands for... Just an FYI on that :)

Andaas
02-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Um, Hoss means Hoss. Simple as that. It's not HOSS, or H.O.S.S., just Hoss.

Regarding the factions, I had heard that Defiant was the "new" Alliance in Rift - so it's the popular faction (see this poll (http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?385-What-s-Your-Faction)). Which is why I'm leaning toward Guardians.

Granted, that poll is based on ~250 responses, so it is far from scientific.

(Ok, found a more current poll (http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?3819-POLL-The-Faction-Divide-Round-Two!), with 6700 responses, similar result).

Stosh
02-20-2011, 02:16 PM
I pre-ordered so I'll be dabbling with the game. I can live with both sides, but much prefer guardian. And the poll posted goes back to my earlier post on all the "bad" players gravitating to the "evil" side hoping to be the new "horde", while the good players knowing this avoiding them and going "good". Happened in Warhammer, happened in Aion, will happen here.

That and guardian has a short(er) race option.

Allara
02-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Actually, Guardian might be better for me since it's an entirely new first 20 levels, city, etc. since I played Defiant in beta. I think I prefer the magitech story but it doesn't matter. I guess I can go either way on it. I will not be PvPing at all so I don't personally care about that, just want a healthy population to run instances with.

Zeyla
02-20-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm probably going to be picking this game up, but I'm going to be busy on some big work projects for the next couple weeks so I'll be joining in after most people have had a good head start.

I did dig the more steampunk/technology vibe of the Defiants, that would be my preference. It probably won't make much difference in the end. If it is true that the Guardians will favor more hardcore players, then I guess it could (and like WoW the population might vary depending on the server too). I would like to dabble in PvP a little and maybe a little dungeons/raiding. I'm with Allara though, I'd prefer a PvE server and have no interest in being tied down to a regular schedule. I'm looking for a casual play experience.

Lonskils
02-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Just Purchased, I have no real desire to play on a PVP server, but I will. As far as shard, I'll go where we go. As far as sides, I don't give a dang. Pretty or Ugly whatever.

Wresh
02-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Looks like everyone is saying the same thing (never bad!...lol)

PvE server on Guardian side then....with the Hoss tag. :)

Whoever gets online 1st pick a server and post it here so we can all get to the same one. Also, post your in game names (just in case some don't know)....and we can get a guild going that day. If we have to pool some $$ together to do it, that will be fine with me.

What profs are you guys taking? I was thinking Apothecary for potions and such....but Armorsmith/Weaponsmith seemed good as well.

Lonskils
02-20-2011, 10:18 PM
I did not do the tradeskills at all. So I have no idea.

Allara
02-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Same as Lons. Most useful thing I saw was your bag making, Wresh ;)

Wresh
02-21-2011, 04:50 AM
I agree the bags are very useful, but a plate wearer making cloth items? Probably not the best thing for me...lol.

Whoever goes that way I will keep all my cloth so they can level up their skills (and to make us bags of course :) ). For those who do not know...all mail in the game is almost instant (no hour long wait!!..YAY) so it will be easy to get cloth/items/gold to peeps.

Lonskils
02-21-2011, 01:04 PM
I'll most likely go tailoring as I will once again be playing a cloth class.

Kikiyo
02-21-2011, 02:07 PM
I thought about it a long time, but I will not be getting the game. Just too focused on WoW and this game just doesn't have enough to make me consider using the rest of my week for another MMO.

Rhedd
02-22-2011, 07:44 AM
Boo

Widespreadd Panic
02-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Rhedd!!!!!! I had just mentioned you to Andaas last night, I miss my rhedd lovins =/

Rhedd
02-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Rhedd lubbins are the bestest for sure! Rift here we come!

Widespreadd Panic
02-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Rhedd lubbins are the bestest for sure! Rift here we come!
;)

Lonskils
02-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Hidy Hoe Rhedd!

Allara
02-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Official server list:

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?79032-Official-Rift-Server-List!&p=1198848#post1198848

Assuming we want US PvE, so we could choose Belmont which was the server we used in beta. I actually wouldn't mind an RP server either if people wanted to do that. Thoughts?

Parak
02-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Faeblight was apparently picked as the unofficial old timer (EQ, etc) server. Something to consider for the overall maturity level and skill :p

Andaas
02-22-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm cool with whatever.

I'm sure "RP" servers aren't necessarily full of people doing proper RP all the time anymore right?

Wresh
02-22-2011, 07:05 PM
I agree with Fir....Whatever server peeps decide on, is cool with me.

Prehaps a vote on server name?

Lonskils
02-22-2011, 07:51 PM
RP server, ugg.

Widespreadd Panic
02-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Faeblight was apparently picked as the unofficial old timer (EQ, etc) server. Something to consider for the overall maturity level and skill :p

I read about that server, they were wishing to try and recreate a community like what EQ had. It sounded interesting to me when I read it.

Widespreadd Panic
02-22-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm cool with whatever.

I'm sure "RP" servers aren't necessarily full of people doing proper RP all the time anymore right?

People will usually never talk about real life things in public channels, so no needless chat spam like in wow. You just get to play the game in front of you and sink in. Usually there are rules sets, but its pretty much just stick to the stuff in the game if you are talking in the open.

You dont have to roleplay, anything I have to say outside of guild is usually world related any way. There will be some hardcore RP'ers maybe, but they will just make the world seem a little more alive as actors honestly. Some might even be a good laugh. Kind of like the sisterhood of roses always having meetings at that tree in EQ.

I personally like the concept of what they are trying to create.

I would vote Faeblight if we are going pve.

Widespreadd Panic
02-22-2011, 09:17 PM
O and naming policies would be enforced.

Andaas
02-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Seems like win/win/win on the RP server; though I doubt they enforce shit.

Allara
02-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Yeah what Wsp said. In guild chat it doesn't make any difference. Faeblight is my vote.

Torrid
02-22-2011, 11:29 PM
I read about that server, they were wishing to try and recreate a community like what EQ had. It sounded interesting to me when I read it.

EverQuest had community because it required you to socialize to be successful. Modern MMORPGs do not, and certainly not Rift.

Rift is just the latest WoW clone with the largest budget yet. For 100 freaking million dollars, I would hope the game would look pretty and run well. Gone are the days when game designers were thinking "wouldn't it be cool if a game did X?" Instead designers have become engineers following Blizzard's blueprints.

Not only is Rift appropriately nicknamed WoWhammer, but the lore and art are bland, uninteresting, and silly. If you're going to remake WoW with a new skin, you should probably take the time to make a really good skin.

There is only so much WoW pie to go around, and soon Bioware's $300 million in voice acting will want a slice. And they have light sabers.

Lonskils
02-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Torrid,

I don't think any of us are going into this thinking it is a wow killer. But good Lord I am hoping one comes up soon. Wow has become so bland and the homogenizing of every class into one basically has gotten old. PVP is just plain horrible and they jumped the shark about 3 years ago with the Lore. I honestly am surprised you are still playing it.

Torrid
02-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Rift isn't even worth one month of play. You can't kill WoW by cloning it.

I'm not playing WoW btw. My sub expired last week. If I didn't need to maintain addons, I probably wouldn't even have gotten 85. I've been playing on Project 1999 (http://www.project1999.org) for the past 3.5 months now. (I HIGHLY recommended it, btw. Having way more fun than I thought I would. If anybody tries it, send a tell to me on Torven or Torvie)

I haven't raided in WoW since the AQ gate opened, either. (except for some 10 mans, and some Nax kills) As bad as it is -- especially now -- WoW's PvP was pretty much all I've done since '06. (trust me, you guys don't want me in your BG) One thing WoW really got right was the play control and UI. It's just a shame nobody at Blizzard PvPs and that aspect of the game is so neglected.

Played Warhammer for a full month and glad I did. Probably the best new MMOG in recent years if you like PvP, but still had it's problems. I like a lot of what EVE is doing as well, but didn't play past the trial. LotRO and CoH/V bored the shit out of me. Vanguard had potential that wasn't realized and lacked the charm EQ had.

The only new MMOGs I have any hope for are indie games. It's not exactly an indie title, or new, but I've been having far more fun playing on a server developed by a dozen guys in their spare time than I have in WoW since its beta. (PvE wise, anyway) It's the smaller less funded teams that are going to have the balls to do something that isn't WoW. CCP was a nobody before they introduced something radically different; now they run one of the most successful MMOGs. I really really want to see Infinity and Dawntide get off the ground.

Allara
02-23-2011, 10:37 AM
This is a really good guide on the best way to play through the head start:

http://www.riftjunkies.com/2011/02/23/a-rift-junkies-healthy-guide-to-max-level-and-the-head-start/

I hope we have enough people to do regular instance runs. The game isn't launching with any sort of LFG tool, so it's back to Ye Olde Everqueste style of putting groups together.

The guide tells you to think of quests as your reward for doing other things. Specifically, rifts and invasions (especially zone-wide invasions) are the highest priority. Secondly, always kill every mob in your path. Thirdly, quest. I can tell you from first hand experience that this is very good advice. Simply put, the game does not have enough quest content to use it as the sole means of leveling. During beta, I was consistently doing quests that were 3+ levels above me, which is excruciating and became literally impossible at level 32.

omnipresence
02-23-2011, 12:02 PM
So how many people exactly are playing this game? Or plan to..

Maegwin
02-23-2011, 12:04 PM
10.66 repeating

Andaas
02-23-2011, 12:37 PM
I know several of us in WoW are planning to play (though my Rift play will be far more casual than my current casual-ish WoW play).

There are also going to be a lot of old/new faces returning from other incarnations of Hoss from EQ to DAoC.

omnipresence
02-23-2011, 12:54 PM
I was just wondering. Maybe thinking of picking it up if there were a number of people going to play just to casually take part in something new. When does it kick off again?

Allara
02-23-2011, 01:37 PM
If you preordered, you can start playing tomorrow at 10 AM PST. If you didn't, you start one week after that.

Lonskils
02-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Rift isn't even worth one month of play. You can't kill WoW by cloning it.

I'm not playing WoW btw. My sub expired last week. If I didn't need to maintain addons, I probably wouldn't even have gotten 85. I've been playing on Project 1999 (http://www.project1999.org) for the past 3.5 months now. (I HIGHLY recommended it, btw. Having way more fun than I thought I would. If anybody tries it, send a tell to me on Torven or Torvie)

I haven't raided in WoW since the AQ gate opened, either. (except for some 10 mans, and some Nax kills) As bad as it is -- especially now -- WoW's PvP was pretty much all I've done since '06. (trust me, you guys don't want me in your BG) One thing WoW really got right was the play control and UI. It's just a shame nobody at Blizzard PvPs and that aspect of the game is so neglected.

Played Warhammer for a full month and glad I did. Probably the best new MMOG in recent years if you like PvP, but still had it's problems. I like a lot of what EVE is doing as well, but didn't play past the trial. LotRO and CoH/V bored the shit out of me. Vanguard had potential that wasn't realized and lacked the charm EQ had.

The only new MMOGs I have any hope for are indie games. It's not exactly an indie title, or new, but I've been having far more fun playing on a server developed by a dozen guys in their spare time than I have in WoW since its beta. (PvE wise, anyway) It's the smaller less funded teams that are going to have the balls to do something that isn't WoW. CCP was a nobody before they introduced something radically different; now they run one of the most successful MMOGs. I really really want to see Infinity and Dawntide get off the ground.

What keeps me from playing EQ and I know this sounds awful, but it is true. But mouse look. I drives me crazy after getting used to the way wow did mouse look and move to even try and play eq. Well that and I don't have time to level a character by standing in one place and killing mob after mob to gain a sliver of a level after 10 hours anymore.

Maegwin
02-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Orc Hill..../shudder

Crushbone? Double /shudder

Torrid
02-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Clicking on the !, not reading the NPC's text, killing 10 of completely trivial-to-kill mob X at location Y pointed to you by the in-game map, returning to the ! to get your free item which had nothing to do with the quest to begin with and is a microscopic upgrade in the slot that has an item you got one level ago. Repeat the process hundreds of times, never grouping with anybody to the level cap. /shudder

Well that and I don't have time to level a character by standing in one place and killing mob after mob to gain a sliver of a level after 10 hours anymore.

That's the beautify of EQ-- the more skilled you are at the game, the faster you level. My 100% untwinked unpowerleveled druid hit 50 in 12 days played. If you want ez-mode, you can roll a magician and be 50 in a couple of weeks. Even in my 40s I was making sub 2 hour levels on my mage.

I actually found that killing mobs for exp in EQ was far more enjoyable than doing WoW's lame quests because killing mobs in EQ is more challenging and depending on the class, there are many different ways to kill mobs.

This

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WYbGgYMdJbc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

is more fun than doing a quest that has you run to a point on the minimap, clicking the sparkly, and returning to the NPC.

Wresh
02-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Ok we get it dude....you don't like Rift..

Rhedd
02-24-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm a little confused, did you not like Rift or was that Torrid, Wresh? +D

Widespreadd Panic
02-24-2011, 10:04 AM
What? Rhedd you are against Rift? How dare you sir!

Andaas
02-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Got stuck on a fucking call right before 10, now there's a 900+ user queue. :(

Widespreadd Panic
02-24-2011, 10:06 AM
im at like 450ish atm

Zappo
02-24-2011, 10:10 AM
position in queue is 185. est time... 7mins!
i did not plan for this!

Widespreadd Panic
02-24-2011, 10:11 AM
position in queue is 185. est time... 7mins!
i did not plan for this!

you are going to be late =)p

Cardinal
02-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Queue position 1257, est time 5 hr 8 min . . . I see a very typical MMO clusterfuck for launch day . . .

Allara
02-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Yeah they're launching new servers every few minutes, but they can't/won't raise limits per-server. I got in and got my name luckily. Going to try to stay logged in.

Widespreadd Panic
02-24-2011, 10:50 AM
I dont even know what i want my name to be yet. I am going to suprise myself after creation! I am actually not going to be a chick this time too.

Cardinal
02-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Queue times don't even seem to be improving despite big chunks of people dropping..... now 1058 in queue with 5 hr 20 min wait....

Andaas
02-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Slight panic when I got a "disconnected from server" box. When I chose Faeblight again I didn't lose my place in line; sitting around 147 @ 43 minutes now.

Widespreadd Panic
02-24-2011, 11:11 AM
lol mine went black on me when i tabbed to the forum, logged back into the character creation.

Wresh
02-24-2011, 11:11 AM
What trade skills are you all going? I am at the 1st trainers now and trying to decide..

Cardinal
02-24-2011, 11:16 AM
... new skill . . . "Improved queue patience" . . . sense I will be a master by time I get to pick . . .

Cardinal
02-24-2011, 11:46 AM
grrr was at under 500.. alt tabbed out and somehow got kicked.. back to 1100.... frustration mounts

Wresh
02-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Ouch...

Fir? WSP? Anyone else in game yet?

Andaas
02-24-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm now in game, as Andae.

Zeyla
02-24-2011, 11:58 AM
What trade skills are you all going? I am at the 1st trainers now and trying to decide..

I always liked herb/alch in WoW, will prob do the comparable skills in Rift, unless we already have folks doing that. It will be next week some time before I can play so I might just fill whatever need we need then.

Rhedd
02-24-2011, 12:01 PM
I'll probably do armoursmithing as I'll be leveling a champ first. and or weaponsmithing (can't remember the gathering synergy skills required.)

Wresh
02-24-2011, 12:22 PM
I am doing a champion as well...just got my mining and if you go Armor, I will go weapon :)

Wresh
02-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Whoever can get to Sanctum and get the guild started please do..I only have like 57 gold on me right now, but I will be happy to donate almost all of it when I log back in to get it formed if needed.

Rhedd
02-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Alright go weapon I'll go armor. I think armor uses butchering as well as mining. I think weapon uses mining and something, can't remember, but all tradeskills basically require 2 other gathering skills or professions to make ALL items.

Widespreadd Panic
02-24-2011, 02:00 PM
I was close to heading to town to see about the guild, but then the servers were brought down for 15 mins. :rolleyes:

Allara
02-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Guild has been made!

Rhedd
02-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Is it called Super Fluffy Happy Kittens?

Wresh
02-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Guild has been made!

Sweet....I went from a 1017 3 hour Que to a 800 5 hour Que...."Maybe" I will see you guys online tonight.

Rhedd
02-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Ugg, looks like I might not be playing tonight! and I can't get logme in to show the screen once Rift loads... boo!

Lonskils
02-24-2011, 04:24 PM
How do you download the damn game? I just got home and I cannot figure out how to.

Allara
02-24-2011, 04:26 PM
They emailed me this link to download it:

http://update2.triongames.com/patcher/public/Rift_LIVE_Patcher_setup.exe

Lonskils
02-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Ah, guess I'll check my email then.

Rhedd
02-24-2011, 04:51 PM
http://www.riftgame.com/en/headstart/index.php

Rhedd
02-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Wow... sort of stupid... 5 hour queue oO

First time I'm been disappointed by trion and rift so far. Did they really think the 10 or so servers were going to be anywhere NEAR what they needed based on the pre orders alone?

Lonskils
02-24-2011, 05:18 PM
So like, are we still sticking with this server? 5 hour queue, really?

Andaas
02-24-2011, 05:24 PM
We obviously aren't locked to this server; I think the demand for the head start was more than anyone expected between players *and* Trion. Demand will taper over the coming days, keep in mind, they have opened over 15 new servers in the US alone since the head start began at 10.

I have to agree with many of the public posts on the subject, in that I personally believe that launching with a default count of servers and then growing *as needed* is far healthier than simply launching servers willy-nilly. If they just started with 50 servers for the US; they would probably be merging/condensing server populations within the first 6 weeks.

Rhedd
02-24-2011, 05:29 PM
I would completely agree with that other than they new how many pre-orders they had. So why not release at least enough servers to handle everyone of those. That way, yes people won't spread themselves out equally, but once it goes life the new people will filll in those spots /shrug.

I'm up for staying or moving.

Wresh
02-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Not like any of us are in the level 30+ range yet, so if we do decide to move let's do it soon rather than wait.

Rhedd
02-24-2011, 06:14 PM
I'd say lets wait till at least tomorrow morning, see what the queues are still like and decide from there?

Stosh
02-24-2011, 06:53 PM
I can't imagine they are going to make the same mistake Warhammer made by launching 60 servers due to initial demand, and then be faced with the prospect of 60 empty servers in 2 months and massive server merges. Nothing says failure like server merges in a new game. They are also artificially capping server populations to ensure non head start people can still play with their friends once the game officially releases.

Yeah, the 900 person queue sucks, but hardly unexpected.

Torrid
02-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Ok we get it dude....you don't like Rift..

You know I pity the new generation of MMOG players WoW brought in. They don't realize they are living in a dark age and that the Rome that is EQ was once the golden age of MMORPGs and offered far superior gameplay.

It's okay though. Project 1999 is free. You high school and college age kids can afford it. Give it a try son. The few people I saw in the game that hadn't played EQ before kept playing it long after I saw them whine in OOC about how hard the game was.

Oh, and I'm not singling out Rift, dude. I hardly mentioned Rift. Do pay attention to the conversation.

Lonskils
02-24-2011, 07:42 PM
You know I pity the new generation of MMOG players WoW brought in. They don't realize they are living in a dark age and that the Rome that is EQ was once the golden age of MMORPGs and offered far superior gameplay.

It's okay though. Project 1999 is free. You high school and college age kids can afford it. Give it a try son. The few people I saw in the game that hadn't played EQ before kept playing it long after I saw them whine in OOC about how hard the game was.

Oh, and I'm not singling out Rift, dude. I hardly mentioned Rift. Do pay attention to the conversation.

Whoa Whoa Whoa there Torrid. I seem to remember you dropping EQ as soon as you got into WoW beta. Many of us did though, so not singling you out. Just saying, WoW wasn't the craptastic spectacle it is now when it went live. Before they started moving toward the casual crowd and making everything accessible from day one.

Many of us just do not have the time in the day to play something that takes that much time anymore. More power to anyone that does though. I like Rift because you can actually fear dying while leveling up for a change. I loved EQ, I can wax nostalgic with the best of them. But that was a different era, where graphics didn't matter as much as the community you built from forced grouping. I miss it in a lot of ways. But I never really want to go back to having to sit around soloing or quad kiting mobs due to no groups.

I will say I do not miss corpse runs naked that took hours and hours out of actual game play. While it did make folks pay attention and I still look back in awe that we did this sans Ventrillo or any real communication method except what EQ gave us. If EQ could upgrade their graphics I imagine they would get a lot more players btw.

Syana
02-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Farming Lowerguk for FBSS. Fun.

Farming Lowerguk King room with 3 people at level 50. Awesome.

Sitting with my face in the spellbook to regen mana, FU!!!

Lonskils
02-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Hey, I'm down to 53 minutes. I may get to create a toon tonight! And yeah Syana. The worst was if you didn't have the sound on... Some mob would come up and beat your ass before you could even react. Ahhhh.... the good ole days. NOT!

Rhedd
02-24-2011, 08:23 PM
37th in queue! 4 minutes to go

Lonskils
02-24-2011, 08:33 PM
37th in queue! 4 minutes to go

I may fall asleep before I even get in lol

Zappo
02-24-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm going to tie a few posts together and keep on the rift topic!

The sheer hours EQ required made it fun but unsustainable for me. Can't speak for others, but that was my story. The moment I smelt CoH's UI and leveling based on missions-- my time outside of raids evaporated and then I thought, "why raid and re-gear? to repeat it?" Just an odd moment when someone you once appreciated is re-valued as meaningless.

Minus P99 no MMOs today can resemble EQ from 10 years ago (omg was it 10 years ago?). I think its for the better.

What is changed is the time required (no camping 12 different things for the VP key or the Vex thall or the seru key. However I do recall having fun doing it at time).

How people level up in an MMO is probably the most important thing about the MMO, followed by how they earn gear. I don't recall quests being a viable option to level with in EQ-- WoW wrote the book on how to build quests that push people towards the right areas to level. Warhammer was sold on the idea of public quests, but I think rift might have it right with making them move across the zone randomly. These two things plus people flopping between multiple roles is going to make rift a game thats easy to succeed in and breed what most of us might be looking for-- a truly casual game.

Aaaaand done with 20 people before me in my Q~

Wresh
02-25-2011, 06:50 AM

I am paying attention on the convo...

People that played EQ seem to think it was the hardest MMO ever when some of us (like me) played it and just found it boring. I played SWG from release (left before Sony destroyed the game) and remember having to run....yes run 1/2 way across planets to get to the spot where we wanted to level....there were no mounts in the game at all....no one that could rez...so if you died you had to run for 20-30 minutes to get back out there if you died...fighting mobs to get back out there since there was no such thing as ghost walking.

I did not mind the above when I could play for 6-10 hours at a time, but at my age I do not want/need to spend that kind of time playing a game anymore. I enjoy the more casual gaming experience now and play more to hang out with people I know and "shoot the shit" while I level, craft, pvp or do whatever in game.

I am glad you still have the passion to play games such as EQ & Project 1999 still....I just cannot/will not put that much time & effort into a game anymore.

Valdis
02-25-2011, 07:06 AM
It never ceases to amaze me that people think that a huge tedious time sink is the same thing as hard. EQ was certainly difficult in some aspects but the only challenges it brought that I ever hear about are the massive time sinks, not that the boss encounter was well designed and tough, just that it took 5 hours just to gather everyone up and another 10 hours to wait for the spawn... That's not difficult that's just a lot of people with too much time on their hands... I never played EQ played but i have played pretty much every other MMO and I will say nothing anyone has ever said made me think EQ was a good game... Hell most of the Hoss people only seem to like it because of the comaraderie not the game itself, granted that's my interpretation, but when they talk about events they did it seems like they remember the fun of playing with their friends more then they enjoyed the game. And that's a good thing it's far better for a game to instill fond memories then to actually be good.

Allara
02-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Still, there are a few things about EQ that I miss... like the support class and crowd control class. (I played an enchanter.) Yet another thing I like about Rift -- support classes are back.

Cardinal
02-25-2011, 10:03 AM
So far I must admit I have been fairly impressed with Rift in comparison to current Wow. It is far more stable than I would have expected, for a day one release, once you get past the initial queue, you don't get the feel this is a day one launch. (need I remind people what EQ vanila or Wow Vanila were like in the intial days?)

It does seem to have more depth to it than Wow, or potential anyway. The variety is refreshing, even the mob models are far more wide ranging than I expected. Thumbs up from a day 1 perspective. Whether it has legs, i need more time to see how instances and raids are . .. but for now, it is more fun than Wow.

Syana
02-25-2011, 12:22 PM
New games are always fun. I loved Age of Conan and Warhammer and Vindictus

Hell, I even played Flyff. Also played this silly game called Earth and Beyond. I bumped into Ashram in that game. lol

I'm just glad the open beta ended before I had a chance to check it out (missed it by 8 hours!). I don't need to spending another $50-60 on a game. Since I don't know what I'm missing, it's all good.

Aindayen
02-25-2011, 12:25 PM
I liked in EQ that some classes couldn't kill anything solo. I liked quading and the idea of AA's later in the game.

I liked big raids with scarey places. Places that would stop you from going in and just being able to spirit rez. Having to get a necro to summon your corpse just owned. I love the bard class, and miss how you could have some gear through the next expansion. I LOVE clickies or the idea of an epic weapon that took time to get.

AoC was fun and had potential.

Perhaps I'll have to join in with you nutjobs and play casually.

Oh and Happy B-day Zappo!

Ain

Lonskils
02-25-2011, 12:53 PM
I really like the rift events. They are epic and I mean epic. The fact that they didn't give a shit if no one was lvl 18 yet or not and still pushed em out was pretty dang cool. It brought fear back into the element of leveling up. AT ANYTIME a RIFT event can just pop up, it was like that one zone in EQ. If you were there at night all the mobs were hard mode and would kick your ass. If you get into the raid and start killing them, its just so much fun. So great to be in a raid larger than a short bus of people. Even if they don't know what they are doing yet. It's just crazy.

Syana
02-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Kithicor or something

Torrid
02-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Whoa Whoa Whoa there Torrid. I seem to remember you dropping EQ as soon as you got into WoW beta.

Sure. And for what it's worth, I did feel a little bad about that. The thing was, EQ was in decline post PoP, and Uqua was a gigantic unfinished mess. I also got sick of the hybrid tanks not wanting to give up their mobs to defensive warriors and wiping to it repeatedly.

I like Rift because you can actually fear dying while leveling up for a change.

Wait, did they add a non-trivial death penalty since I played? I was just rounding up 4+ mobs at a time and AoEing them and not caring if I died in that game just like WoW when I played a few months ago. I would give fear of death as one reason why EQ is a superior game. I did not see it in Rift though.

the community you built from forced grouping. I miss it in a lot of ways. But I never really want to go back to having to sit around soloing or quad kiting mobs due to no groups.

As opposed to not grouping to the level cap in WoW and its clones? Quest based progression actually hiders grouping because friends or people you run into will be on different stages of the quest line. Forcing players to cooperate to overcome challenges is a cornerstone of MMOGs. What you have without that is a single player game.

I will say I do not miss corpse runs naked that took hours and hours out of actual game play.

Hours and hours? How are CRs taking anywhere near that long for you in a game where you can bind almost anywhere (let alone port) and invis actually works?

The sheer hours EQ required made it fun but unsustainable for me.

I took a magician from level 1 to 50 in 4 or 5 days played. We powerleveled our warrior from 44 to 50 in like 4 hours. Then we one grouped hateplane and got full planar in less than a week, playing maybe 3-5 hours a day. (hate respawn is 8 hours there)

EQ only takes an inordinate amount of time if you don't know what you're doing. You guys are remembering the game from when you were novices.

It never ceases to amaze me that people think that a huge tedious time sink is the same thing as hard.

EQ isn't hard because it's a time sink. (all games are time sinks, btw) It's hard because mobs don't leash. It's hard because you have to care about staying alive. It's hard because mobs are (generally) much tougher than players instead of the other way around. It's hard because dungeons are not isolated bubbles where you control every variable. It's hard because you need to create social bonds to succeed.

Hell most of the Hoss people only seem to like it because of the comaraderie not the game itself

The design of the game encouraged the socializing that created that comradery to begin with.

Everquest's design forged such lasting social bonds in it's players, that many of WoW's guilds are still organized around those bonds. Bonds formed in WoW and its clones are so weak that guilds originating in that game are nothing more than transient conveniences. The most successful guild on one of my WoW servers years ago was called SHARKS WIT LAZERS PEWPEW.

As much of a jackass as I am, I had the logins of about two dozen guildmates. None of them even so much as heard my voice, and accounts (especially ours) were worth thousands back then. EverQuest fostered trust; and in that game your social connections were worth far more than any piece of loot. How many logins do you have of your fellow WoW players?

Hoss was once one of top 10 guilds in all of EQ. We didn't get there by hating the game.

Lonskils
02-26-2011, 12:13 AM
I'd love to see you round up a group of the elites that spawn all the time and aoe them and not fear death.

CR. I remember in UQUA especially how badly it sucked. EVERYTHING saw invis. and unlike my own invis that lasted 10 mins period. Everyone I cast it on could lose it within 5 seconds lol

I do, I dooooo doooo doooo still have fond memories of EQ. I just do not have the desire to go backwards and hope that as time goes by games will get better.

The Rift events are not some bubble you can control either btw.

The pop up on top of where other mobs spawn so there you are fighting the mobs from the rift and also have to avoid the other mobs.
Yes, you can solo most of the content group free. And I know you hate that.

I'd love to play a game with you again Torrid. I just don't know that I can go back to EQ, especially back to lvl 50 cap. Not with the game engine they still use.

Andaas
02-26-2011, 01:29 AM
I think the "fear of death" Torrid is referring to is the fear of losing something (be it gear, experience, etc.). The current generation of games, pretty much everything since WoW took over, has simply caused you some minor inconvenience for death - be it a small recoup-able monetary charge (gear durability, or soul strength), or perhaps a very minor experience debt (didn't Vanguard try that?).

Death in EQ brought the potential risk of losing all your gear, experience LOSS (not debt...), and even level loss if you died enough.

Tonight in Rift, I died 8 times during a crazy invasion near Sanctum, it cost me SIX gold to bring my soul strength up from 20% to 100%. Oh noes!! Death was inconvenient, but certainly not scary.

Valdis
02-26-2011, 08:54 AM
But again those things you lose from death don't make the game more difficult it just makes the game time consuming. It's like hardcore D2 its not a harder game it's just for people who don't mind redoing everything every couple months. Frankly for me anyhow needing to group to do just about anything just sucks. I like grouping for things like elite quests, instances, raids, public quests but if I have to group to level in a timely manner then I'm being limited to who I can find and how helpful they are, to which I say no thanks.

Torrid
02-26-2011, 06:19 PM
But again those things you lose from death don't make the game more difficult it just makes the game time consuming.

Three words: Plane of Fear. Have Andaas explain that zone to you, he's good at that.

Penalties for failure allow developers to add alternate paths to victory by adjusting the risk and reward of each. Tactics such as AoE grouping should have an increased risk to them because the reward is so great. If there is no risk to anything then designers have to disallow high reward tactics entirely, leaving players with only the one expected method of defeating encounters, gaining exp, or what have you. Penalties also force you to consider your options carefully and to not goof around.

Not to mention, death penalties turn on the adrenal gland a bit. A game without risk is a boring game and make for hollow victories.

Frankly for me anyhow needing to group to do just about anything just sucks.

You're playing the wrong genre then. I recommend Oblivion, or maybe some console games.

If people are spending way too much time looking for a group, then what developers need to do is remove barriers to forming groups -- not remove grouping altogether.

Syana
02-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think there will ever be a game like Everquest again.

Many players these days want the instant gratification too much. They want to reach the end game as soon as possible with as little effort as possible.

With how popular this genre is now, you will have a lot of players who want to be the "first" whatever. There will always someone who want to be at the top.

When Everquest was first introduced, raiding was non-existent. That term didn't exist yet. People were having fun just playing the game because there's no other like it. Many people, like me, love Everquest because it was their favorite MUD coming to life, so to speak. In fact, if I couldn't afford to play MMO's anymore, I'd probably just go back to playing MUD. -_- The most addictive element of RPGs have always been character development. That aspect of today's MMO's are somewhat diluted.

Valdis
02-26-2011, 08:18 PM
But was their really risk to AE group killing, unless you got cocky or were stupid wasn't the true risk fairly minimal? Or unless the devs purposely built it to just be "undoable" but in that case we can go back to cocky...

Frankly you say I'm in the wrong genre, however the genre has advance since the days of EQ, I don't begrudge you your fond memories and fun times in it. I'll continue playing WoW and D3 and SC2 and my huge backlog of PS3, 360 and assuming the Wii can actually publish something worth playing outside the Virtual Console maybe that.

As others have said there will probably never be a game like EQ again and it's because frankly the major demographic is 25-35 now and frankly those of us in the demo have far better things to do then re-gear/level/whatever creative punishment they create. While it's an interesting exercise the fact is that just about every MMO since EQ has realize that the arbitrary punishment doesn't excite people it just pisses them off and that forcing constant grouping is just as aggravating. While you're certainly entitled to your opinion there aren't really any game developers left that agree with your draconian philosophies.

Forty
02-27-2011, 12:40 AM
While you're certainly entitled to your opinion there aren't really any game developers left that agree with your draconian philosophies.

Only because they are going where the money is.

I guess it depends on your definition of hard on whether EQ was more difficult. In WoW, until you start doing 10- or 25-man raids there really isn't anything to make you care about what happens. You die, so what. You miss a quest, so what. Faction, whatever. Leveling is of little concern.

EQ made you care about all of those things, regardless of level. Soloing, grouping, questing all made you think and use your skills rather than just mindless plowing through it. Did that create time sinks? Sure. But that also created part of the challege that is sorely missing from WoW.

Valdis
02-27-2011, 01:39 AM
I will certainly agree that WoW is probably the easiest MMO I have played. DC Universe may be slightly easier but it's not really the same kind of MMORPG. Either way EQs difficulty is the wrong kind in my eyes, while WoWs easiness is also not quite on the right track. Age of Conan and War probably could have been just about right if the publishers hadn't decided to push them out months if not a full year before they were ready...

I will say I'm interested what Rift will be at end game.

Aindayen
02-27-2011, 08:02 AM
The time demand was a part of it. Being max level meant something.

I personally liked having gear that you could take to the next expansion. Having everyone get a clean slate every year sucks as it removes accomplishments or stuff that you would want to keep for some time. Quading was a bit more difficult in that most people couldn't solo certain mobs. So kiting 4+ mobs when a war say couldn't kill 1 solo was interesting. Being a cloth type meant any mistake and you were dead, but the exp/AA was nice. I miss the challenge. Now I have no reason to do such things as I have plenty of gold, and the can it be done interests me less, and less.

Personally I miss grouping for exp, or just hanging out pre/post raiding chilling while we bullshit/grind aa. These are the things that formed the bonds for me. Running another heroic isn't the same in WoW, although the 10/25 man raiding is similar but a little less relaxed.

Killing a certain type of mob making you KOS in an area. Watching an NPC literally chase you to the end of the earth meant you had to be careful or a badass. I'm looking forward to trying rift If I ever get my main PC back from the shop.

Ain

Torrid
02-27-2011, 08:15 PM
But was their really risk to AE group killing, unless you got cocky or were stupid wasn't the true risk fairly minimal?

Humans aren't computers. We don't and can't play perfectly each and every time. The risk comes with how difficult the strategy or tactic is to execute, and the cost of failure. When you pull trains of 80 mobs -- each of which is harder to kill individually than a WoW outdoor mob -- you ARE going to have deaths; even if you are some of the best players in the game. You factor those deaths into the exp over time cost benefit analysis. The better you play, the larger the trains you can handle and the fewer deaths you incur.

Back when I was trying to AoE mobs in WoW two boxing Coral's priest, the hardest part was simply preventing mobs from leashing in the first place. I topped out at about a dozen mobs. In Cataclysm, I couldn't even grab 5 mobs to AoE at once a lot of the time on my druid solo because they would leash after I ran a few yards out of spell range even with dots ticking.

This is what AoEing looked like in EQ.

If you missed a color stun, your group was dead in 2 seconds. There is also a random factor to it; if too many mobs hit you due to bad resist rolls, they might interrupt an AoE stun, and you wiped. Get a chain of fizzles and wipe. Kill too slowly and you wipe. Also the puller has to not get stuned, blinded, rooted, etc while he gathers a train of dozens of mobs.

Frankly you say I'm in the wrong genre, however the genre has advance since the days of EQ

The only things that have advanced are the graphics and UI. The gameplay has devolved into single player mechanics. WoW is a single player game that just happens to have other people in it. Is Diablo an MMOG? Because I played with more people leveling up in that game than I did in WoW. So much for massively multiplayer.

I can remember the names of players I grouped with 12 years ago in EQ. Can you remember the names of the people you partied with using dungeon finder an hour ago? Did you even so much as say a word to them? At least dungeon finder was an attempt at reducing barriers to grouping. To bad cross server instancing and the ease of the game prevents any community from forming.

there aren't really any game developers left that agree with your draconian philosophies.

Laugh. You never played EQ, and you're so keen to judge it as draconian. You think dying in EQ sucks? Try EVE online. EVE, btw, has more subs than ever and is North America's 3rd most popular MMOG. Hell, Project 1999 is proof people want what I do. Its population increased after the progression server opened because people discovered it while investigating Sony's ez-mode server.

MMOGs just cost too damn much and investors want to take what they think is the safest route. Zynga makes money hand over fist, but what they produce is absolute garbage. Popularity means little.

Valdis
02-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Here's a look a the Rift Endgame. I couldn't find it anywhere other then on G4 website but the brief preview I got looked interesting.

Aindayen
02-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Valdis where is da link?

Ain

Wresh
02-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Laugh. You never played EQ, and you're so keen to judge it as draconian. ...........Hell, Project 1999 is proof people want what I do. Its population increased after the progression server opened because people discovered it while investigating Sony's ez-mode server.

Yes, some people do like to play things such as this....BUT...other gamers do not.

Again, if you want to spend that kind of time repeating/re-spending in game $$ or whatever to get back up what you lost when you die it is fine for you....some do not wish to re-hash the same content 2-3 times or spend 10 billion "isk" to get back what they lost. It is counter-productive to most gamers out there and they would rather push forward into games.

It is all personal preference on how you as the individual wants to play games. You are seeing it one way, and others on here are seeing it another way. Neither is right or wrong...You won't sway the opinion of others on your comments just like we won't sway your thinking from ours.

Just play the game(s) you like to play and have fun doing it! As long as you have fun, who cares what others think?

Valdis
02-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Torrid do you need to have so many mobs at once in order to play the game? If the answer is no you are just trying to do something difficult for an ego boost reward and thus being cocky. I have a feeling that many of those types of activities were never really intended by the EQ developers, and it falls into a well we didn't expect them to do that but meh it's not hurting anything.

How has gameplay devolved into single player mechanics, this bit interested me explain to me how EQ mechanics are so different from WoW, Rift, War, Conan... From my understanding all of them use the EQ mechanic set as their starting place. Diablo 2 by the way does not qualify as an MMO as you can only ever play with up to 6 people at a time, since the first M stands for massively I would assume it means more then what you can rig up on a PS2.

Also your question comparing EQ life to the WoW dungeon finder seems odd; are you remembering the names of every odd person you ran across in EQ? I mean I remember the names of tons of players in WoW, let alone the guild I was in, in Warhammer. I mean you get as much community out of EQ or WoW as you put in to it. Maybe the community isn't forced to be as cooperative in WoW but that makes the community you do create all the better for it since your not being forced to work with asshats you can't stand. You can't just say the value of the people you remember in EQ is better then the quality of friendships I have made in WoW. I have dozens of friends from my first real WoW guild still that I do know in real life and have hung out with. I also have plenty of friends in Hoss who I have met or enjoy hanging out with in game.

So your argument that EQ isn't draconian in it's punishment is that EVE is worse? Sure EVE is worse, I loved EVE as a concept and after playing it for a few months I have never felt as isolated and constantly bored as I did in that game. Which really sucks because I have been waiting for a game like EVE for years.

As for P1999 being popular of course it is, even though it's something completely old and everyone knows what to do and how to work it, it is for the moment "new". I mean that's a concept that works well. Even WoW with it's younger age could probably get a ton of people to play on setup similar to that.

I really have no issue with EQ or with you liking it Torrid, my issue is that you seem to think people must be stupid to like anything more then EQ.

Valdis
02-28-2011, 09:02 AM
As Ain pointed out I forgot to include the link.....

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/710561/RIFT-Impressions-End-Game-Raiding-And-You.html

Widespreadd Panic
02-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Quad kiting was quite common with Druids and wizards. Nothing to do with ego, just made leveling a bit faster than the painful killing of 1 mob at a time. On a druid quading was cake; never played a wizard so cant speak for that.

Valdis
02-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Well every class has it's niche, I assume quad kiting is simply kiting 4 mobs, and not the aforementioned 80?

Lonskils
02-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Quad kiting was quite common with Druids and wizards. Nothing to do with ego, just made leveling a bit faster than the painful killing of 1 mob at a time. On a druid quading was cake; never played a wizard so cant speak for that.

Druids had it a lot easier. Their snare lasted I think 15 minutes? Wizards lasted 3. Was a low level spell so was easily resisted and could snare up to 4 mobs at at a time, but the ranged aoe spells we had were again low level (to combat the practice of quad kiting in the wizard community) They never seemed to mind that druids could do it too and better though! lol

Lonskils
02-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Well every class has it's niche, I assume quad kiting is simply kiting 4 mobs, and not the aforementioned 80?

Yeah you could pull 80 in a 6 man group that was made to aoe. Puller, healer, chanter (or two) rest wizards. It was insane and the rush from it was better than any drug I ever had. No pull I ever saw in WoW came even close to it in terms of knowing that one mistake destroyed you so quickly.

Quading Kiting was a real badge of courage for a Wizard at least. What made it so cool was you were doing something that not every wizard could or would do. Not sure if you watch any of those videos of Mages in WoW that showed the Mage soloing AG back in the day. But the difficulty of what the Mages were doing for outweighed anything they were getting from the zone. They did it for the challenge. You can't even try that crap anymore in WoW, sigh.

Allara
02-28-2011, 12:27 PM
We used to powerlevel lowbies by pulling an entire zone to the entrance and chain stunning them with a paladin, then AOEing them. It was pretty damn effective and hilarious at the same time.

Maegwin
02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
I used to powerlevel my alts in Lower Guk by pulling all of dead side and standing in a corner while they beat on me (to prevent pusback fizzles). I would throw on all my damage shields and chain heal myself. Then I'd have my alt cast some kind of AOE spell over and over to hit as many as possible.

The mobs would then kill themselves on my damage shield and the alt would get all the XP cause he was the only one that did damage that could be attributed to a character. (Damage shield damage had no source).

Runners were the only problem but thats why undead mobs were ideal.

Maegwin
02-28-2011, 01:11 PM
One of the things I miss about EQ was the actual challenge of doing crazy shit. Like getting through zones using invis, soothe, etc that people w/o those abilities/skill could not.

Using that Ranger/Druid ability that would let you see from a mob's perspective and cast spells from it's location. Combine that with soothe and invis and you had some powerful utility!

Syana
02-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Something I did in WoW that's similiar would be getting to 102.4% Avoidance (by avoidance I mean dodge + parry + block + miss) then pulling as many mobs as I can at the Black Temple terrace and killing them all. Of course, Blizzard took that away.

Meh

Seraphina
02-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Wow, that picture brings back a lot of memories. It was probably 3 in the morning and I was half asleep. Talk about crazy EQ moments. Each pull was like a shot of adrenaline. EQ was the best, probably will always be to those of us who really enjoyed it. Spent way too much time, more than I should have, but I don't regret it for a minute. And I agree with you Torr, EQ's mechanics, including forced grouping, fostered the community that we still have today in games like Warcraft.

Humans aren't computers. We don't and can't play perfectly each and every time. The risk comes with how difficult the strategy or tactic is to execute, and the cost of failure. When you pull trains of 80 mobs -- each of which is harder to kill individually than a WoW outdoor mob -- you ARE going to have deaths; even if you are some of the best players in the game. You factor those deaths into the exp over time cost benefit analysis. The better you play, the larger the trains you can handle and the fewer deaths you incur.

Back when I was trying to AoE mobs in WoW two boxing Coral's priest, the hardest part was simply preventing mobs from leashing in the first place. I topped out at about a dozen mobs. In Cataclysm, I couldn't even grab 5 mobs to AoE at once a lot of the time on my druid solo because they would leash after I ran a few yards out of spell range even with dots ticking.

This is what AoEing looked like in EQ.

If you missed a color stun, your group was dead in 2 seconds. There is also a random factor to it; if too many mobs hit you due to bad resist rolls, they might interrupt an AoE stun, and you wiped. Get a chain of fizzles and wipe. Kill too slowly and you wipe. Also the puller has to not get stuned, blinded, rooted, etc while he gathers a train of dozens of mobs.

The only things that have advanced are the graphics and UI. The gameplay has devolved into single player mechanics. WoW is a single player game that just happens to have other people in it. Is Diablo an MMOG? Because I played with more people leveling up in that game than I did in WoW. So much for massively multiplayer.

I can remember the names of players I grouped with 12 years ago in EQ. Can you remember the names of the people you partied with using dungeon finder an hour ago? Did you even so much as say a word to them? At least dungeon finder was an attempt at reducing barriers to grouping. To bad cross server instancing and the ease of the game prevents any community from forming.

Laugh. You never played EQ, and you're so keen to judge it as draconian. You think dying in EQ sucks? Try EVE online. EVE, btw, has more subs than ever and is North America's 3rd most popular MMOG. Hell, Project 1999 is proof people want what I do. Its population increased after the progression server opened because people discovered it while investigating Sony's ez-mode server.

MMOGs just cost too damn much and investors want to take what they think is the safest route. Zynga makes money hand over fist, but what they produce is absolute garbage. Popularity means little.

Seraphina
02-28-2011, 03:09 PM
So how is Rift? Worth the time or another AoC / Aion?

Andaas
02-28-2011, 03:29 PM
I'll let others chime in with their thoughts, as I didn't play AoC or Aion, but after playing a bit during the headstart the game definitely seems to be more than what I've seen of those titles.

If anything, it's nice being in a world that isn't as safe as WoW has provided; with rifts opening up all over the place and the random invasions/attacks, you can just go AFK in a small quest hub like you could in WoW or you might find yourself dead.

Zappo
02-28-2011, 03:33 PM
So how is Rift? Worth the time or another AoC / Aion?

If you can log in... its fine :P
Honestly... wait one month from the pre-launch and see. After trying 2 MMOs that flopped I learned if you want a keeper of an MMO-- just let guinea pigs play for 30days.

Thus far, I really enjoy it. In other MMOs people make alts to play different roles. Rift just has you macro one button to switch gear + roles. The only down side are the queues. If those continue, those will most likely be a deal breaker for most of us and ironically, the queues will then end!

Torrid
02-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Torrid do you need to have so many mobs at once in order to play the game? If the answer is no you are just trying to do something difficult for an ego boost reward and thus being cocky.

I honestly find it sad how people who know little outside of WoW can't comprehend game mechanics which allow skilled players to advance significantly more quickly than others.

How has gameplay devolved into single player mechanics, this bit interested me explain to me how EQ mechanics are so different from WoW, Rift, War, Conan... From my understanding all of them use the EQ mechanic set as their starting place. Diablo 2 by the way does not qualify as an MMO as you can only ever play with up to 6 people at a time, since the first M stands for massively I would assume it means more then what you can rig up on a PS2.

Diablo 2 games/parties were up to 8 people btw, not 6. Which is 2 less than WoW's current 10 man 'raid' size. EQ raids had *72* people. (none, if any, required that many, however) Vanilla WoW raids were 40. Then 25. Now 10 is the most common raid size. Blizzard is unable or unwilling to remove the logistical hurdles players face which prevented a large portion of the player base from enjoying raid content without shrinking raids down to a small fraction of what was once considered raid sized. A prime example of how Blizzard solves multiplayer problems with single player solutions.

WoW's solution to the treadmill grind and difficulty of finding groups was to, again, resort to turning the game into a single player game. The lion's share of experience gained comes from clicking the 'complete' button on a quest NPC. These quests are 98% soloable. Any mob not inside an instance is a trivial solo kill for any class. Virtually everybody goes from 1 to level cap without grouping with anybody.

Buffs in EQ were actually highly desired because they were powerful. Enchanters added a great deal of DPS to groups by making melee group members do 60% more damage and casters could cast more spells with clarity. SoW allows you to outrun mobs and therefore go from dying to mobs that don't leash to running away with zero risk, or use kiting as a tactic. Buffs in WoW are almost worthless. Nobody gives a damn if I mark them while they solo quests.

I could go on.

I mean you get as much community out of EQ or WoW as you put in to it. Maybe the community isn't forced to be as cooperative in WoW but that makes the community you do create all the better for it since your not being forced to work with asshats you can't stand. You can't just say the value of the people you remember in EQ is better then the quality of friendships I have made in WoW.

Yes I can.

Being in a community is getting along with people you don't like. If you like everybody in a given community, then you're in a tiny community.

Forcing players to work together to overcome challenges is how you build community. The greater the challenges, the closer people tend to bond together.

I really have no issue with EQ or with you liking it Torrid, my issue is that you seem to think people must be stupid to like anything more then EQ.

More like I think you have bad taste in games; at least if you've played WoW for years and go running to Rift anyway. To people new to the MMOG scene, Rift might be worth some time, before moving on to something with more depth.

This is supposed to be about Rift and it has really gotten off track.

This debate is far more interesting than playing Rift is. You should be glad to discover what you've been missing all your MMOG life.

Aindayen
03-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Bah, Wresh/Valdis this is Torrid being Torrid. It's nothing personal I assure you.

Best aggro tank I ever saw...

Ain