PDA

View Full Version : Turn-Based Strategy

Zeyla
06-02-2011, 03:18 PM
I have been a turn-based strategy game fan for a long time, and I seem to be playing them more lately. The problem is that it seems to be a dying breed of games, or at least just staying a niche game type for the most part.

The best turn-based gaming I have found for a while is on the handhelds (PSP and DSi), but I have pretty much played through all there is on those platforms. The consoles have a few downloadable strategy games as well, which I have played most of.

On the PC, I've enjoyed the hell out of Civ 5. And I still need to pick up the King's Bounty games as well (those look really good). But I'm thinking there must be more out there.

Anyone know of any other recent-ish turn-based strategy games out there? Any platform will work; Wii, Xbox, PS3, PC, iOS, PSP, or DSi. I am also open to any type; modern war, WWII, fantasy, sci-fi, whatever.

Andriana Duskrose
06-02-2011, 04:17 PM
If you haven't played it yet, "Galactic Civilizations 2," and it's expansions, might keep you entertained. It's pretty much what "Master of Orion 3" should have been.

depen
06-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Frozen Synapse is kinda fun. I got it from Steam.

Valdis
06-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Might and Magic 6 I believe will be coming out soon though it's M&M style turn based strategy.

Kikiyo
06-02-2011, 05:26 PM
King's Bounty series are very fun. I've been playing Armored Princess and it's hard though there is always tricks and cheap tactics to win. One of the big goals most people have in that game is a zero casuality complete game on impossible difficult. just nuts hard.

Lonskils
06-02-2011, 07:00 PM
I still play Heroes III with the fan made expack "Wake of Gods"

Maegwin
06-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Valkyria Chronicles for PS3. Do it.

Widespreadd Panic
06-03-2011, 10:27 AM
King's Bounty series are very fun. I've been playing Armored Princess and it's hard though there is always tricks and cheap tactics to win. One of the big goals most people have in that game is a zero casuality complete game on impossible difficult. just nuts hard.

ya I just recently bought Kings Bounty Legend and Armored Princess and an add-on pack for like 10 bucks. Its a mix of rpg and turned based strat. I have enjoyed playing it off and on so far, the russians did good.

Cardinal
06-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Take a look at Shogun II , some RTS elements but you can effectively bypass them and just do turn based.

Zeyla
06-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Great advice all, I have some games to check out now!

Aindayen
06-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Take a look at Shogun II , some RTS elements but you can effectively bypass them and just do turn based.

Card how is the wife doing?

Zeyla
06-07-2011, 11:06 AM
I still play Heroes III with the fan made expack "Wake of Gods"

I loved Heroes III. I need to dig around and see if I still have my copy.

How about Heroes V, is it any good? I know it is a few years old now, but I was just curious.

Kikiyo
06-07-2011, 12:14 PM
From what I've read about it, it's not as good as HMM3. I heard that it regressed from HMM3, but still a decent game. I have it, but been playing Armored Princess first.

Lonskils
06-07-2011, 12:35 PM
I played IV and V. Just not as good. Better graphics etc. But it just isn't the same game. You can go online and download the Wake of Gods for free. There are some bugs, but man it really took the game where it should have gone. I play it at least once a week if not more. It's just so awesome.

Zeyla
06-07-2011, 01:24 PM
That is kind of what I heard on the HMM series in general, kind of downhill from 3. I'll be picking up the Kings Bounty platinum edition next I think, comes with The Legend & Armored Princess & Crossworlds. Three games for ~$25, not too bad.

Kakeku
06-08-2011, 11:21 AM
I love turn based games. Civ 1 & 2 were the best games I ever played. Civ IV was great too. I still play it occasionally. The HMM series were very good as well. I was fairly addicted to HMM 2 and 3 but HMM V was very bad. The Might and Magic VII (not turn-based) was very good too, I played it a lot while playing EQ.

I probably will follow Zeyla to get the armored princess game.

Elkwood
06-08-2011, 07:06 PM
kakeku :)

Zeyla
07-11-2011, 02:26 PM
I ended up getting the Kings Bounty pack and after playing a couple of the games for a while I have to say I don't really like it. It has all of the elements of a turn-based strategy game that I would like. I even like the RPG elements. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but when you kind of have to force yourself to play a game, something must not be right.

I dusted off Diablo 2 this last week so my son and I could finish the expansion (which we never had before). It was a blast, so maybe I am more in the Action-RPG mood lately instead of turn-based ;) I should re-install Torchlight and play it some more, that was a fun one too. Man, I can't wait for Diablo 3!

Zeyla
11-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Bumping for myself, some of these games I still want to try. I'm earnestly addicted to Civ V at the moment. It is a great game to play at work, can pause at any time :)

Has anyone picked up the new Heroes of Might & Magic VI? It came out last month I believe.

Valdis
11-02-2011, 11:51 AM
I have HoMM6 but I would wait until the first major patch goes live. There are some major issues with the campaigns and some fairly significant bugs. Even with those bugs I have still had a blast doing the first 2 campaigns, it just would have been nice doing them without having to deal with the bugs.

Rennys
11-02-2011, 12:03 PM
What about games more like X-Com?

Lonskils
11-02-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm still playing HoMM III WoG