PDA

View Full Version : Lap Top Help Please :)

Sheep
09-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Hey everyone,

Long time no talk! hows everything going?

Also, I'm looking for a new lap top, but have never even looked into them before so I have no idea what to look for. I'm looking for something reliable and fast. It won't be used primarily for gaming because thats what my desktop is for, but I want to be able to play games on it if I want to every now and then. I'm trying to stay under $1000 if possible and was hoping you guys could help me find something sweet.

I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157877 which is pretty cheap but i'm not sure how good it really is. If anyone has any other suggestions that'd be awesome. I don't need top of the line, just something that will last me a long time and maybe be able to play a game here and there on decent settings.

Thanks!
-Sheep

Sheep
09-10-2011, 02:56 PM
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-dv6t-Select-Laptop/dp/B005GXP6VO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315691068&sr=8-1

O (http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-dv6t-Select-Laptop/dp/B005GXP6VO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315691068&sr=8-1)r this one... Pretty similar aside from the i5 and the 7200rpm hard drive

Berae
09-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Woot.com has a $400 one atm.

Aindayen
09-20-2011, 07:19 AM
morons...

Rennys
09-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Where's your laptop recommendation Aind? My personal preference is for the Lenovo Thinkpads. I know some people have had terrible experiences with them, but their keyboards are still hands down the best. If I had to go get a new laptop (non-Mac), I'd probably go for the Lenovo T420s with the highest resolution screen you can get. Not exactly cheap, but still, I do love their keyboards and from my personal experience, they've been pretty bulletproof. Of course, I know other people who have had massive issues with them, so YMMV.

P.S. Thinkpads were better when IBM had them manufactured out of Japan. These Chinese manufacturers just don't have the same standards.

boopie
09-20-2011, 11:37 AM
If you can, I suggest you stop by a store and hold a 15.6" laptop. I think you'll find they're way bigger and heavier than you want.

One of my coworkers just upgraded from his HP Pavillion dv6 to a Macbook Air, returned that and settled on a cute little Thinkpad. I personally like Dells as, despite other's experiences, I really like their support, but maybe that's because we pay extra for the "better" support. We used to buy HP laptops exclusively and they've held up very well. We're now a Dell house and they haven't been as consistent but I think that's mostly PEBKAC.

If I had to buy one today, I'd opt for a 13" at my price point. I don't like gaming on a laptop because it sounds more like small aircraft preparing for takeoff. Don't care too much about the vendor because everyone's experiences will always be different regardless of past performance.

Rennys
09-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Screen resolution! Many of the current laptops have shit resolution on their screens.... I need more pixels.

Allara
09-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Yeah I'm probably going to have to go with the gigantic 17" MacBook Pro next, mostly due to needing all those pixels. It *severely* enhances productivity in stuff like Xcode and Adobe CS. But man do I not want a laptop that big. Or that expensive.

boopie
09-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Large footprint applications belong on desktops, and dual 24" monitors!

Allara
09-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Which I have, but it's a PC. For my iOS stuff, I need a decently large system and I'd prefer it be at least marginally portable. ;) Plus there's no way in hell I can afford a Mac Pro at any decent spec.

My video/audio stuff only happens on the PC, but that's more due to the studio monitors and external video out than anything else. Plus the 27" ACD doesn't hurt. ;)