PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 3

Zeyla
11-02-2011, 11:23 AM
...is so awesome! The single-player campaign is OK and very short. Is there any modern shooter with a single-player campaign that you can't finish in two nights anymore?!? With Battlefield games they never had a single player mode anyway (until the Bad Company games that is), so I wasn't expecting much more than a warm-up for the true game...

The multiplayer is really well done, I think. The maps are large, the graphics are impressive and they have a good unlock/reward system this time (better than Bad Company 2's system). They have a nice reward system in place for doing all kinds of "support" actions, so points are not purely based on kills. I'm having a great time with it!

I never really cared for the Call of Duty/Modern Warfare multiplayer that much. The maps felt too small and I always hated the requirements of getting kill-streaks to do anything cool/fun. They had a nice unlock system and the "Zombie" modes were fun, but the regular multi-player left much to be desired for me. For military-based shooters it is Battlefield for me!

Aindayen
11-04-2011, 05:19 AM
I just picked this up and haven't had a chance to play it more than 5 minutes.

I agree with Zeyla in that it feels good. Maps are large and single player is well done.

I don't like the fact that I have to hold my right mouse key to look down the rifle. In CoD you click once to get it and again to remove it. I haven't messed with the settings yet but it was one of the things that stood out to me in my 5 minutes.

Graphically it is pretty impressive. I'm looking forward to tank/air battle!

Zeyla
11-04-2011, 10:06 AM
I actually bought it for the Xbox. I have to say I have gotten used to console shooter controls for the most part. I know Mouse-Keyboard is still the best but I do prefer sitting on the couch instead of being hunched over my PC for these kinds of games now. It doesn't have the 64-player battles, and I think the PC version graphics are superior, but the console version is pretty damn good.

Maegwin
11-04-2011, 02:01 PM
I don't like the fact that I have to hold my right mouse key to look down the rifle. In CoD you click once to get it and again to remove it. I haven't messed with the settings yet but it was one of the things that stood out to me in my 5 minutes.

There's a setting for that Aind. You can make it click only.

Aindayen
11-05-2011, 04:17 AM
There's a setting for that Aind. You can make it click only.

Sweet thanks Maeg. I'm hoping to have some time to bust through single player this weekend.

Coral
11-05-2011, 08:05 AM
I'm CoralGriffin on origin if anyone wants to play PC.

Coral Griffon on 360. I play both. Easy when EA games are free, heh.

Aindayen
11-05-2011, 06:13 PM
<----Aindayen

Solo play was meh. PvP seems to be fun but I can't fly a helicopter for shit...

Coral
11-05-2011, 07:31 PM
<----Aindayen

Solo play was meh. PvP seems to be fun but I can't fly a helicopter for shit...

If you figure it out, let me know. Sheez.

Aindayen
11-06-2011, 04:27 AM
Hehe anyone that knows how to fly a plane will destroy you in the helicopter. So being able to move near the ground seemed to work well. It makes it a bit harder from a crashing perspective.

Zeyla
11-06-2011, 12:10 PM
A good helicopter "practice" level is the 2nd Co-Op mission, where one person is the pilot and one is the gunner. There are a variety of targets to take out that requires some quick flying. After doing that a few time my helo skills got a lot better. Being able to land and fly low to the ground are important skills! That and knowing how to time your chaff/flares to prevent missile kills ;)

Aindayen
11-07-2011, 06:18 AM
A good helicopter "practice" level is the 2nd Co-Op mission, where one person is the pilot and one is the gunner. There are a variety of targets to take out that requires some quick flying. After doing that a few time my helo skills got a lot better. Being able to land and fly low to the ground are important skills! That and knowing how to time your chaff/flares to prevent missile kills ;)

I haven't messed with Co-Op very much. What name are you using Z?

Maegwin
11-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Tried flying the jets a bunch of times. The first time was pretty hilarious. I came off the end of the aircraft carrier and went straight into the ocean because the z-index is inverted (or Y? whatever). Figured that one out, but the default Jet controls that have the Mouse bindings definitely SUCK.

OOH, I just found a tip that suggests mapping your arrow keys to the flight controls instead of the Mouse. That would solve most of the incessant mouse swiping necessary to fly, and you know, turn. I think I'll try that.

Wresh
11-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Tried flying the jets a bunch of times. The first time was pretty hilarious. I came off the end of the aircraft carrier and went straight into the ocean because the z-index is inverted (or Y? whatever). Figured that one out, but the default Jet controls that have the Mouse bindings definitely SUCK.

OOH, I just found a tip that suggests mapping your arrow keys to the flight controls instead of the Mouse. That would solve most of the incessant mouse swiping necessary to fly, and you know, turn. I think I'll try that.

Can you use a joystick? I still keep one plugged into my machine for when some good old Mech Warrior calls me to play.

Valdis
11-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Speaking of MechWarrior....

http://mwomercs.com/

There is finally news.

Zeyla
11-07-2011, 09:51 AM
I haven't messed with Co-Op very much. What name are you using Z?

On Xbox Live I am ZungFu

Speaking of MechWarrior....

http://mwomercs.com/

There is finally news.

Oh yeaaah! Talk about a great universe for an MMO! I've been pining for a new MechWarrior game since the last one they had one the original xbox!

Wresh
11-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Oh yeaaah! Talk about a great universe for an MMO! I've been pining for a new MechWarrior game since the last one they had one the original xbox!

Ditto on the MechWarrior game. Thanks to Valdis for posting that link. Already signed up...lol.

Maegwin
11-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Can you use a joystick? I still keep one plugged into my machine for when some good old Mech Warrior calls me to play.

It is possible, but I heard the BF3 support for joysticks is pretty terrible, to the point where it's almost unusable. (dead zones of like 50% or something). Those comments might be old though.